25 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 11:16 AM

So the exhaust on my 1974 GMC 3500 dump truck fell off on Saturday.  I fixed it yesterday, but to do so I had to buy parts.

It wasn't a big breakdown, I needed no pipes or mufflers.  It was just that one of the studs from the manifold rusted through and the donut disappeared to where ever they go when that happens.  I looked in the garage, but all of my exhaust parts seem to be off my wife's former vehicles because they are all dainty little things. I went out to the truck and measured the pipe and took the remaining stud out so I could get the right size.  While I was there I soaked the remains of the broken stud in WD-40.

I gathered my courage and headed for Parts Source, since it was Sunday and all the good parts stores close on Sundays.  I looked around, hoping to find some generic parts in those little red "HELP!" packages.  No such luck. I walked up to the counter and told the kid behind the counter I needed some exhaust parts.

"What kind of vehicle?" He asked.

"1974 GMC 3500," I said.

"4 wheel drive?" he asked.

"Two," I said.

"Air conditioning?" He asked.

"No," I said.

"What size engine?"

"292," I said.

"So the small V-8?" He asked.

"No, great big in-line six," I said.

"That doesn't exist," he said.  

"Sure it does," I said. "It's existing in my yard this very second."

He stared at me blankly, no idea what to do if the vehicle wasn't in his computer.

"Let's try an '84 2500 with a 350," I said, being pretty sure the studs and pipes are the same size and hoping that an '84 was new enough to show up on his computer.

"What parts do you need for that?" He asked.

"Same ones," I said.

He ran through the same list of questions and then said, "I don't list that either.  Are you sure it's not a '94?"

"Well, bring out those parts and we'll see," I said.

"Which parts? The '94?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Does the '94 have dual exhaust?" He asked, turning to his computer.

A lesser man might have cried at that point.  This kid apparently thought I owned three trucks, each a decade apart in age, that all had the exact same exhaust problem.  Not me though, I've played this game too many times.  "Yeah, but I only need the left side," I said.

The kid checked his computer and said, "Actually both sides have the same part numbers."  The tone in his voice implied that I was somehow a little dim for not knowing that. I gave him my best smile. 

He went and got them and laid them on the counter.  "We're out of those, but the boss said this would likely work," he said.  I wondered if boss had been hiding around the corner listening to this comedy act.

I measured the donut and it was the right size, then laid the old stud beside the new ones.  The thread was the same, but the new ones were longer.  "Perfect," I said.

"These are longer," the kid said.

"Yes they are," I said, "but they'll work."

"Are you sure? It can be pretty tight under there," he said.

"If they are too long, I'll just grind them down," I said, knowing that you could house an entire family under the hood of my truck.

"If you grind them, you can't return them," the kid replied.

"That's true," I said.

The kid rang up the parts and said "$14.67", then looked slightly confused when I handed him a $20.00.  Probably hadn't seen a cash sale all weekend.  He got the change right though, so maybe there's hope for him.

Anyway, the broken stud turned out pretty easily and it all went back together well enough, so the parts purchase took longer than the repair. 

• olcowhand, DH1, Gtractor and 15 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Funny story. Thanks for sharing. Glad you got it fixed. Roger.

• JRJ said thank you

#3 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 12:08 PM

We used to play this game all the time when me and a buddy raced dirt track.

I need a set of head gaskets for a 1980 Ford 351. 

I can't look up parts by the engine, need to know what it is in.

1987 Mercury Cougar

tap tap tap tap....are you sure?  It only list a 302

No its in there I assure you..

tap tap tap tap.....stare stare...tap tap..

It's not listed..

Try this...then go on naming a vehicle that engine might of been in.

It was always a good time.

Our local napa was awesome.  They knew what was up, and could find parts for any engine without knowing what it was in.

• hamman, boyscout862, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 12:09 PM

:rolling: Gonna nominate this for a motion picture award

• hamman, EricR, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#5 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 12:12 PM

Typical "parts store" story.

I really have a time with those guys when I go to buy parts for my "jeep"... '63, '76, '87, '91, '94, '95, '97, and '98 are the model years, Jeep "CJ" Jeep "TJ", Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford 150, Dodge D600, Dodge 3500, and Chevy C&C (of course the computer doesn't list "cab & chassis..." let's try K30 then) are the vehicle models.

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#6 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 12:25 PM

Funny story  Roger...  been there done that..

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 12:26 PM

I am getting ever so tired of them asking whether my Wrangler is an SE a Sahara or a Sport  I usually answer that by saying "its green. With a tan hardtop"  Cmon now,  if I put the soft top on,will the part numbers for cap rotor and wires magically change?  its still a  1997, 4.0 INLINE 6...

since when does whether a car is a "base" or a "SLT" "XLT" LE" "Cheyenne" or what ever, change what brake parts it takes?

Did they put different spark plugs in the 360 engine, if the interior is tan leather vs whether it is gray cloth?? It is getting ridiculous.

Edited by dodge trucker, November 11, 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#8 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 12:42 PM

If is isn't in the computer they don't have it and it isn't made SIR.

Dick

• hamman and chris m have said thanks

#9 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 01:11 PM

I am getting ever so tired of them asking whether my Wrangler is an SE a Sahara or a Sport  I usually answer that by saying "its green. With a tan hardtop"  Cmon now,  if I put the soft top on,will the part numbers for cap rotor and wires magically change?  its still a  1997, 4.0 INLINE 6...

since when does whether a car is a "base" or a "SLT" "XLT" LE" "Cheyenne" or what ever, change what brake parts it takes?

Did they put different spark plugs in the 360 engine, if the interior is tan leather vs whether it is gray cloth?? It is getting ridiculous.

The ones I love are when you call asking for a price on 235/75/15 tires, and they then ask what vehicle are they going on? And this is just to purchase tires, no mounting or anything! :wallbanging: And I bet if I said they go on a 48 Chevy coupe, they would probably say "I'm sorry we don't show a listing for that Vehicle" :(. For the most part the days are gone when you could walk in a place and say " I need a starter for a small block Chevy" and a guy goes out back and grabs one for you.

#10 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 01:59 PM

been there doe that, but with my local small engine shop instead.  The really funny one though was when I asked about a point file at my local auto parts store, no one even knew what a points file is. 

• Alc and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#11 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 03:40 PM

I had a good one a few years back.I was putting a motor in my brother 78 blazer and I told him while the motors out lets change the torque converter seal.We went to the parts store told them what we needed the employee went down through everything they asked got to the question  he asked is it manual or automatic trans?I just looked at him and thought are you serious.One of his coworkers overheard us and he said automatic.He needs a torque converter seal.

Also I went to pep boys to get new rear tires for my 79 Camaro to run at the track.I told them  I wanted 275/60/15 B.F Goodrich radial t/a's.They asked for what vehicle I told them.He looked it up and said I can't sell you that size tire for that vehicle you can only go 2 sizes bigger,besides that that size tire won't fit.I said I have the proof in the parking lot that they will.He went out and looked went and got his manager after a lot of b/s I got the tires.Never went there again. 

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Its sad but most of the Good Guys and parts stores are gone :(

Only a handful of places/ people exist today that take pride and have a passion for the parts they sell and dont give up when the computer doesn't show anything available. The guys that know what they are doing often dont need the computer and when they are unsure, they go to the trusty parts catalog :thumbs:

• EricR said thank you

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,278 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 05:32 PM

Engine parts, no, but I have seen differences in brake and suspension components. Some car manufacturers are worse than others. Honda is a good example. Take a common Civic. You need to know if its EX, DX, LX, 2 or 4 dr,. It can all make a difference. Some even have different engine options. A lot of the parts places I deal with have went to online ordering. It has sure saved a lot of grief on my end.

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 05:43 PM

You want fun? Go to a parts store during a power outage.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and dodge trucker have said thanks

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 05:57 PM

You want fun? Go to a parts store during a power outage.

I thought they just closed when that happened?

How are you supposed to make change without a computer? :poke:

• twostep, WNYTractorTinkerer and dodge trucker have said thanks