Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jd330--What Is The Good, The Bad, The Ugly?

jd330 diesel yanmar 3tn

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 08:34 PM

The 330 is basically a 317 diesel and the 332 is the same as the 318 only diesel powered. If I am thinking correctly all of your attachments for the 420 should fit a 430 which is a diesel. If it was me I would keep the attachments you have and try to trade the 420 for a 430 then problem solved, you would still have a cool toy and a diesel!!!!

#17 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 10:48 PM

I completely agree there!

That's good information.  He tells me he has a 3ph for it, but I still think I'll hang on to my 420... I like the P/S, the 2 speed hydro, the diff lock, the front pto, etc. too much. 

Now, if I could find a diesel 430, or decent diesel repower of a 420, that would be another story!!!

Smitty

• Alc said thank you

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 10:50 PM

The 330 is basically a 317 diesel and the 332 is the same as the 318 only diesel powered. If I am thinking correctly all of your attachments for the 420 should fit a 430 which is a diesel. If it was me I would keep the attachments you have and try to trade the 420 for a 430 then problem solved, you would still have a cool toy and a diesel!!!!

I actually bought a 317 from this same guy last winter... so I can easily relate to it... I think I'll hang on to the 420... may want to repower some time--preferably a diesel, but a Briggs 20 hp Vanguard would be a nice engine as well..

Smitty

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 11:33 PM

I actually bought a 317 from this same guy last winter... so I can easily relate to it... I think I'll hang on to the 420... may want to repower some time--preferably a diesel, but a Briggs 20 hp Vanguard would be a nice engine as well..

Smitty

. I mentioned my brothers 420 earlier. He has owned it for a very long time and had done comercial mowing for a business with about 13 acres for many years. The onan was getting tired so he replaced it with a 23 hp vanguard.

He says it does not seem to be as torqey as the onan but much smoother (les vibration).
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#20 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 06:04 AM

. I mentioned my brothers 420 earlier. He has owned it for a very long time and had done comercial mowing for a business with about 13 acres for many years. The onan was getting tired so he replaced it with a 23 hp vanguard.
He says it does not seem to be as torqey as the onan but much smoother (les vibration).

I wondered how the two would compare..I'd probably get a higheHP gas hp gas engine as well to try to offset difference in torque. Should be a lot better fuel economy, though.

even so, the diesel would be the way to go.

I do have a spare P220 if this one cConk's out.

One problem I have is the 60" mower is too wide for my trailer... looking into getting a 72" to accommodate it--it's a pain to remove the 300+ lb. Mower deck and load it by itself.

#21 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:30 PM

I love the fuel economy of my kubota g5200 diesel and I am sure the Yanmar diesel would get good fuel economy
also. I have a 332 but have not had it running yet, hope to play with it soon. If you wanted to re power the 420 you could get a Yanmar from a thermoking unit and swap oil pans and possibly some little item's and have a diesel. So many options, so little time!!! The only thing I am not sure about is the end of the crankshaft where the pto clutch would be, will have to look into that. I have thought of doing this swap to a 318 and adding a turbo for the cool factor
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#22 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 05:58 AM

I love the fuel economy of my kubota g5200 diesel and I am sure the Yanmar diesel would get good fuel economy
also. I have a 332 but have not had it running yet, hope to play with it soon. If you wanted to re power the 420 you could get a Yanmar from a thermoking unit and swap oil pans and possibly some little item's and have a diesel. So many options, so little time!!! The only thing I am not sure about is the end of the crankshaft where the pto clutch would be, will have to look into that. I have thought of doing this swap to a 318 and adding a turbo for the cool factor

I came very close to buying a Kubota B7100 earlier this year...but felt I had to hold off.... the gov't was still furloughing people, etc. and I wasn't sure how much income I'd have.

The question of the pto clutch on a repowered 420 is a concern--the 430 is actually a few inches longer than the 420--to account for the clutch I suspect. All the diesel re-powered 420s I've seen couldn't use the clutch.

regards,

Smitty
  • Alc said thank you

#23 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 06:49 AM