Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What Are The Components Affixed To The Front Of This Speedex?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 08:21 PM

yo G if you check the speedex drivetrain  info on the speedex site the s18 had a 2 speed some with variable speed but they had a clutch idler not a slider like the 17's and 14's this tractor with a little research should prove to be a S19 with a 4 speed peerless tranny and a 8hp engine so good luck

I respectfully disagree. I'll look into that though. Im not unwilling to be wrong. I did get the tractor home it is an S18 from all I see preliminarily. I can only make out the CC part of the ID the front attachment was welded to the frame and covers the full number. Both the 18 and 19 did have four speed transmissions the difference was the motor. 18 was Kohler 19 was briggs. granted the engine may not be orginal I havent done much with it after getting it home, because the weather tanked.

Can you post the link your refering to in regards to the speedex info?

#17 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 06:50 PM

http://www.speedextr...DELHISTORY.html

this is where i just looked and it says the s18 has a 4 speed with a slider engine but if the tractor has a 5 speed it's a s19 so the best way is to check the tranny and see if it has the peerless with granny low which in the normal trans would be 1st gear position then push the shifter to the right if it clicks over another position that would be granny gear if the tranny will only go one position to the right from the neutral center it's a 4 speed, two positions to the right makes it a 5 speed , and that would be back toward the seat and to the right to reinterate  so G you will have to go and see which it is , good luck and don't freeze you're giblets checking :D

#18 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 07:25 PM

There were two versions of the S19, actually. After the S19 started production there was a redesign were the transmission was changed to what you are describing but the original style S19, had a 4 speed like the S18 the only difference was the engine. S18 Kohler S19 Briggs. The redesign changed the engine to a none sliding engine on the S19 and also the S23. I tend to forget about the design change and focus on the original S-series design. The redesigned corrugated hoods and square fenders don't appeal to me. But, I think that is what you are referring to when you say S19. Those had a five speed. The Speedex I have, is as far as I can see, an S18. Unless it turns out the engine was originally a Briggs. But I think the engine was original. The transmission is a four speed: 2 upper to the right 1 2, reverse to the left and two lower split right 3 and left 4. That is not counting reverse as a gear although some people do. I think we are both right but we are crossing two parallel tractor realities with each other. I think, You're looking at the corrugated hood tractor reality and I'm looking at the rounded hood tractor reality. Also in my reality, John Deers don't exist.

#19 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 09:16 PM

yo G if you check the speedex drivetrain  info on the speedex site the s18 had a 2 speed some with variable speed but they had a clutch idler not a slider like the 17's and 14's this tractor with a little research should prove to be a S19 with a 4 speed peerless tranny and a 8hp engine so good luck

i dont know my speedex has a 4 speed 1 2 3 4 and r its a peerless 2300  and it s a s19  they must be counting reverse too

#20 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 12, 2013 - 09:44 PM

Here are some pics from manuals the show the two build styles of the S18 & 19. The transmission for the S18 has the same part number as the four speed in the diagram.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
  • superspeedex said thank you