19 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 10:13 PM

HI

I bought a 425 AWS with a poor engine. 20 hp Kawasaki   I found a bad crank bearing.  The crank looks ok.  The surface is not scored or grooved.  Looks like a little of the bearing on the surface.  I think i can get some fine emery cloth and polish it out.  Pistons cylinders everything else looks good.  I think I'm going to do a cheepy repair.  Bearing rings gasket set.  See how it goes.  

This unit has 1700 hours on the clock.  Anyone know if this is a common problem for these engines when the hours get up there?

My main tractor is a 425 and it almost has 1700 on it so I'm hoping its not a common problem.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 10:28 PM

What year is it and does it still have the plastic cam gear? If it's a pre-'98 model, it would of had a plastic gear on the end of the cam. If it's still in there, then that is wearing and causing issues elsewhere. It it has been replaced, then the re-install of the cam may have not been done properly.

Most FD620D failures I have read about are spun bearings on the crank, but the cam is the culprit.

• Alc and JRJ have said thanks

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 10:44 PM

Get out the wallet..  If you buy the parts @ JD they will be pricey..  Since you have it apart, at least replace both the pistons and rings as they run @ tight tolerances (.003) and the piston skirts wear down.  I just rebuilt mine last year and really haven't heard about any bearing troubles at all with these..  Take the oil pump (+ sump) fully apart and evaluate carefully would be a good thing to do.  Make sure all oil passageways are clear as well..  Check our engine's model # on the shroud and look around in this website HERE  

Also take a look HERE

Happy shopping!!

• Alc and JRJ have said thanks

#4 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Guess I can't deny it anymore.  Its winter.  On the up side its time to start on the 425 AWS motor.  The motor was disassembled and removed from the tractor.  Going to do some clean up and measuring.  Then order some parts.  This will be pretty well only a mower tractor.   I think I have time before the grass is green.  The little speck of yellow is the seat back on the tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0008.JPG
  • IMG_0011.JPG

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 08:39 PM

What's the diagnosis?

Is that a Larson sled?

#6 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 08:20 PM

Is that a Larson sled?

Its the boys a Yamaha 340 enticer long track.  Drive clutch is hooped.  $500 for a new on 30 year old sled.  They are 17 and 21 and haven't come up with cash or looked for parts.  Yet they want it to run.  Some how the parts have not magically appeared.  

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Its the boys a Yamaha 340 enticer long track.  Drive clutch is hooped.  $500 for a new on 30 year old sled.  They are 17 and 21 and haven't come up with cash or looked for parts.  Yet they want it to run.  Some how the parts have not magically appeared.  

Understand that. fun cost money, sounds like a lesson in the making.

Edited by trowel, December 31, 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 12:09 AM

Here's a used clutch for $79 + shipping on EB  :  HERE

Hope they saved their Christmas cash!

#9 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 12:06 PM

Ordered my engine parts.  Now I wait.  

#10 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 02:58 AM

:dancingbanana: The parts are shipped Yippee.  Should be here late next week.  Whoop Whoop. :dancingbanana:

• Alc and trowel have said thanks

#11 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 11:43 PM

.  Check our engine's model # on the shroud and look around in this website HERE  

Happy shopping!!

:D  :smilewink:  :bounce: They came in they came in  :dancingbanana:  :rocker2:  :thumbs:  :worshippy1: Used the above site and everything showed up nicely.  Now I only need to find time to work on this.  Work gets in the way.  Wish I could find a job that paid me to stay home do what I want.  Seems every time I try it they quit paying me.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#12 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 07:20 AM

Do you have a clutch puller??  You will need one to get the old one off..  

You see the end of the crank is tapered and the clutch will stay on once you remove the bolt.  If you know any snowmobile riding friends they may either have one or know someone who does. 

DO NOT try to pry the thing off!  You'll break the crankcase!! :biting_nails:

Check HERE

#13 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Tractor parts are sitting in the box waiting for me.  Calling me.  Giving me a sad look every time I go to work.  I guess I still have time before I can mow.  The seat of the tractor just became visible out of the snow this week..  Glad the engine is in the garage.

#14 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 12:38 PM

OK So after a year of not getting to this project. Overtime is nice but cuts into the hobbies.  But then I can buy parts.  So Its a toss up.   Anyhow.  I get to preparing to reassemble the engine.  Everything is cleaned up parts are here, spread everything out cleaned the work bench.  I realized I forgot to clean the flywheel. :wallbanging:  Thats when I discovered the magnets broken. 4 out of the 6. Then I got to looking for the stator.Its not there and I don't remember taking it off.  The tractor was someone else's project.  I can buy  stator and flywheel. 

My question.  Is it possible to buy only the magnets?

#15 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 11:20 PM

Cylinders are honed.  New crank bearing installed.  

Looking at Dads old ring compressor.  Not sure I should use it.  Bit of a crack on leading edge and the band isn't real smooth.  Its only about 70 years old.  Think I'll hang it on the wall with some of his other old tools.

Flywheel and stator ordered and on the way.