• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hi guy and gals,new guy here.Not my first tractor but my first bolens and need some info on it hope someone can help. 

Run downon what I know about it.Was sitting in my neighbors shed for 6 years and I bugged him for two years about it

well a deal was struck and for the price of a 6 pack of pabst it is now in my garage.

It's a Bolens G16XL  id tag under seat says model1661----blower model 18311----front mount for blower pto? 18309

He tossed the deck a few years ago(bummer). it has turf tires with chains and weights on rear and two dry rotted flat tires on front , no hydro just a four speed trans axle that is bigger than some small trucks and an oh16d  ohv tecumseh

What I would like to know is what year is it? What frame would  it  be concedred  light--heavy--tube(don't look like tube)

What are the pros and cons for this tractor , I'am going to use it for blowing long side walk (power king to wide)and drive way.

PS got the engine running after draining gas and un doing some jerry rigs on the wireing while drinking 2 of HIS beers.

Thank you for any help you can give me-----------Bill

• boyscout862 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Welcome to the Forum

This Bolens was classified as a "Meduim Frame" Series

This model was made 1979-1981

These are a pretty stout machine and seem to have a good amount of power

• Bill 76 said thank you

#3 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 10:25 PM

I'd say for the price you did really good!

I might've gone all the way to a 30 pack ;-)
  • Bill 76 said thank you

#4 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 11:14 PM

Ya I maybe should have gotten him a least a case o beer but then I would have to help him drink it and I wound't
get anything done
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 11:54 PM

Hello and welcome! :wave:

• Bill 76 said thank you

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 05:33 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. You can download 3 manuals per day for free from our manuals section. You have gotten a great deal. I've saved some tires with "Slime" which you put into the tires to seal them. Tubes are about $8 at TSC. We would like to see pictures.  Good Luck, Rick

• Bill 76 said thank you

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 07:12 AM

Welcome! Hope to see some pics of the Bolens soon!

• Bill 76 said thank you

#8 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Just gotta watch for those old OHV HH140-HH160 tecumseh for oil leaks at the top, the O rings go and then clog the cooling fins in the head with oil.

They get too hot, and the huge brass valve guides start to work themselves lose.

JK

• Bill 76 said thank you

#9 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Thanks guys for the welcome to GTT.Now I know what I have anyway.One front tire holds air!! but I think the other one is past the slime stage I think I'll have to spring for a tube,Dang the cost is getting up there between the
$4 six pack for the tractor and $2 for new fuel line and now a tube,I'll be eating beans soon..
Checked the top of the motor for excess oil and it quite clean,just a light film of oil on the valve cover no blobs of oil or crud in the fins,The rest of the engine is very clean,Will keep a eye on that though.Had it running last night to adjust carb seemed to run very good at all speeds but best high speed is with high speed needle 3/4 turn out thought it should be more but seems happy there.Will play with that more in cold weather and under heavy load.
Now if I can get the lift lever off (been soaking with kroil for 2days)then I can fix pin on the bottom of it and the quadant.
Again thanks for the welcome--info--and tips Bill

#10 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 09:35 AM

I like those H- XL Series, my h14-xl is as big as my 318, nice solid unit.

Sounds like you've got a good motor, I've had 3 of those hh-140 Tecumseh's all with same problem.

JK

• Bill 76 said thank you

#11 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 10:55 AM

if you look at the shift plate there should be a stop that swings out of the way that gear is called granny gear but peerless considered it 1st so the tranny has 4 foward and reverse making it a 5 speed the top speed is listed as 7mph in the manual and man can they pull , i get my h16 stuck all the time but have yet to get my g16xl into anything i couldn't get out of but i will come back later have to go rescue my brother from another fine mess :smilewink:

• Bill 76 said thank you

#12 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Thanks Bolex,took a closer look and it does have a stop on the shift plate but it cover 1 gear and then I have 2-3 and 4 gear,so I'am thinking it might only be a four speed.Maybe Iam wrong here,been wrong before.(More than once)Would this still be a peerless trans axle?Have not gone for ride yet to cofirm how many speeds it has,been fighting a carb problem,had it running about a minute once and it ran a bit so I figured it would be a good idea to flush the tank and put on an inline filter and a mantatory shut off valve and new fuel lines and clean the bowl out,bowl was clean.Still don't run even half way good no matter where I set the needels.Pushed up lighty on the float and it looked level,no poping out of carb just runs like crud.
Engine only had about 60psi compression when got it I then let it soak with bit of kroil and atf in the cylinder and after running it came up after cranks to 165 psi (warm)much better compression,still runs like cr**.
Today Iam going to recheck the fuel pump-in did pump not a gusher but it did pump.Then I thought I would loosen valves and do a leak down test just for sake of doing it and reset the valves.
But me thinks its the Walbro LMH carb and what i hear are a bear to clean out,any ideas on this would be great.
And what is the correct plug and gap (Napa did'nt know)and what is the cold valve lash.Thanks for the help guys.
Bill

#13 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 06:18 PM

I figurerer out how to down load manual with the help of grandson and found that I need a champion L7 plug and .030 gap

Also found valve lash ---.005 intake and .007 exauste COLD

Will try to get Grandson to help me get some pictures on here of my new  / old tractor

I'am not much on getting around on computers--Didn't touch one until I was 50 years old.But trying to learn

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 06:11 AM

We have a video that helps with pic uploading. The link is in my signature.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#15 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 06:44 PM

with 4 forward and 1 reverse added up and you get 5 . the LMH has a idle circuit of which i can't find on either of mine but a carb shop with an ultrasonic carb tank should be able to clean the carb out and make it run fine . you can get fuel pump rebuild kits and carb kits for them . these engines have compression releases that are located on the cam and actuate the exhaust valve to decrease compression at lowspeed for easier starts and reduced load on the starter , some more thoughts on these :smilewink:

• Bill 76 said thank you