11 replies to this topic

#1 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1300
  • 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 01:13 PM

On my 1650 I have to shut off the fuel at the tank when ever I bring the tractor in from snowblowing, other wise my garage stinks real bad. I have checked the float it is set properly as well there is a spring under the float which must assit to a certain amout in closeing off the needle valve. also should there not be restriction in the pump stopping the fuel from entering the float bowl when the engine is off. any suggetions would be helpful!

#2 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 02:27 PM

I don't know about the 1650, but the fuel pump on the 1655 is pulse operated from the crankcase. Maybe a leak there at the fuel pump end? In the diaphragm, maybe? A small pinhole in the diaphragm may not show immediately after running but will definitely smell after sitting overnight. Otherwise check the fuel line and all connections and components.

The float should stop excess fuel from entering the carb. The float/needle and seat should easily overcome the low pressure fuel pump. If there is dirt in the fuel bowl some may be stuck to the needle or seat and allow fuel to flow via gravity into the bowl causing a small leak and a lot of smell. A blast of carb cleaner might cure it, otherwise replace the needle and seat.

You know the fuel shutoff at the tank works. Everything after that is suspect.

Bob

Edited by TUDOR, December 15, 2010 - 02:39 PM.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 02:58 PM

The fuel pump makes no restriction....fuel can flow freely through it when engine isn't running. Float & needle do all the stopping of fuel flow....except for the fuel shutoff valve.

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 04:07 PM

Try blowing into the fuel inlet at the carb while lightly closing the float. You could have a worn seat for the needle. Does this float bowl have the drain plunger thing like the Tecunseh's? I know those are a pain and love to drip!

Do you see fuel anywhere leaking or wet componets?

#5 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1368
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 05:37 PM

Do you see fuel anywhere leaking or wet componets?[/QUOTE]

That was my question if no fuel is present then chances are its just the build up of fumes in the tank caused by the warmth of the enginge ( or heated garage)that leaks out over night ! Speaking from experience this can be very dangerous !!!! try loosining the cap & letting it cool some b4 rolling it into garage !!:smile1:

#6 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• Member No: 437
  • 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 05:57 AM

i put a 12 volt fuel cut off selnoid on mine just before the pump. princes auto has them for 20 bucks in canada. no more turning that stupid tank shut off ( that i forget everytime) . it is worrth it, no more worries that your float may stick and fill your crank case with gas

Edited by tyler, December 16, 2010 - 07:34 AM.

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 09:06 PM

Interesting... can you take a photo of what this looks like? I will be hand-wiring my 12H soon for the new ignition system and this would be the time to install something like this. I really like the sound of it.

#8 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 07:02 AM

the selnoid has one wire. i put it on the positive side of the ignition coil. i'll try to get pic my camera is doing funny things

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 07:07 AM

i put a 12 volt fuel cut off selnoid on mine just before the pump. princes auto has them for 20 bucks in canada. no more turning that stupid tank shut off ( that i forget everytime) . it is worrth it, no more worries that your float may stick and fill your crank case with gas

I kinda like that idea.:thumbs:

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 07:40 AM

Someone had mentioned something like this before, but I'd forgotten about it (CRS) so thanks a bunch for the reminder. It is a great idea!

the selnoid has one wire. i put it on the positive side of the ignition coil. i'll try to get pic my camera is doing funny things

Pics would be great, then I'll know what I'm looking for...Just out of curiosity, do they make a 6 volt version? I have some older farm tractors that I always forget to shut the fuel off.

#11 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 05:14 AM

http://www.princessa...-solenoid-valve
i'll try to get some pics today. the solenoid is small, about the size of a small salt shaker or dinkie car

Edited by tyler, December 18, 2010 - 05:28 AM.

#12 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:09 AM

pics of solenoid. it's a tight fit on the 1655, alot more room on the 1650SANY0043.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• SANY0044.jpg
  • SANY0045.jpg