• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 23, 2010 - 06:17 PM

One of my major peeves is the disappearance from foods/snacks in packages. Don't you just love buying some snack in a box, only to find plastic partitions block off half the package inside so all you get is what you see in the plastic window? Potato chips in big bags, only it's 95% air with a few chips thrown in. And what's up with those old fashioned "Jumbo Pies"............jumbo...oh hell no, one overly large bite & one is gone. Used to, they were like 6" across! (I can only do 5" in one overly large bite LOL) So do the manufacturers truly think we're that ignorant? I know what you're thinking........"well olcowhand...you did buy ity didn't you?". Yes, but it's not cause I'm ignorant....just a pig for snacks....but that's no excuse for them to do that. Plus there's the fact they are wasting packaging material to hide the small bit of goods. So much is wasted. Also, 95% of my mail goes straight from my mailbox to the garbage can. Figured to toss a post in this new section, but the above does piss me off!
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#2 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 23, 2010 - 06:29 PM

I used to work in the plastics food packaging industry........If you realized that in many cases the packaging costs the food company more than the actual product, you would wonder why they go to such lengths......The thing is, we are such a visual society now.......we buy everything on the look of something, not on how much you get or how good it is for you.....So, I guess we just have ourselves to blame........lol

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 23, 2010 - 06:48 PM

I used to work in the plastics food packaging industry.......

So YOU started it!:rofl2:

Yep, I know for much of the food that packaging costs more, and in some cases, the packaging would be better to eat than the food inside!
Better for you anyway....except for plastics of course. I'd prefer as much food to come in simple bulk bags like many cereals do. I hate those little foil wrappers on Hershey Kisses! Just dump em in a bag like we used to buy candies from the 5 & Dime! Yep, I did business in them old stores....showing my age.
I tell you what too....some of those plastics these days is tougher than nails! Used to just tug & open...not today! But that's good I suppose....bag will arrive home intact.

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 23, 2010 - 08:14 PM

I was at a friends house for coffee, the other day, and they served some Girl Scout cookies. I knew they were getting expensive, but,
$4.00 A BOX! And the box is only half the size it used to be. They must use the really good cardboard and the ultra executive plastic to package those cookies!!!

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 23, 2010 - 09:20 PM

I was at a friends house for coffee, the other day, and they served some Girl Scout cookies. I knew they were getting expensive, but,
$4.00 A BOX! And the box is only half the size it used to be. They must use the really good cardboard and the ultra executive plastic to package those cookies!!!

Things seem to be getting higher in price and alot smaller in product size.
Here we have Tim Hortons and a medium 14oz coffee is $1.50!!!!!:wallbanging:

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 06:00 AM

Thtat's expensive coffee, I could understand if it was dunkin donuts coffee but I think dunkin is like $1.75 for a large which is 20oz or more.

#7 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 09:15 AM

Thtat's expensive coffee, I could understand if it was dunkin donuts coffee but I think dunkin is like $1.75 for a large which is 20oz or more.

Obviously, you have never had a Timmy's....It will be the 1st place we stop when we get near the border

Speaking of coffee.....Why is it a bag of coffee, same brand, same size bag, is $12 down here and only $8.50 at home?

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 09:21 AM

This coffee talk could lead into a whole 'nother discussion LOL.

I don't understand it either. I love dunkin but it is expensive, 8 o'clock is another good one and it can be had for a decent price. Folgers and maxwell house are getting expensive too. I don't think they are up to $12 a can yet though. I know dunkin is probably $15 for a 1lb bag here.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 10:08 AM

Obviously, you have never had a Timmy's....It will be the 1st place we stop when we get near the border

Speaking of coffee.....Why is it a bag of coffee, same brand, same size bag, is $12 down here and only $8.50 at home?

Tim Hortons is the Best coffee Hands down. :worshippy2::worshippy1:

I think its like $15 for a 2lb can here

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 10:31 AM

I get all my coffee lately from "Bent & Dent" grocery shop. Damaged cans & such. I save a ton there & all is good stuff & brand name. Like my coffee that's $5+ at Kroger is $1.50 there!!!!!!!!!! High end soups that are normally $3+/can are 95 cents!!!

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 03:27 PM

We get a good bit of stuff from the bent and dent here, it is good cheap stuff as long as you check the expiration dates.

Ours is owned by amish and that place is a madhouse on the weekends LOL

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 03:29 PM

We get a good bit of stuff from the bent and dent here, it is good cheap stuff as long as you check the expiration dates.

Ours is owned by amish and that place is a madhouse on the weekends LOL

Ours isn't Amish owned, but he hires Amish to do a lot of the work there. Yep, gotta check those dates!!!!!!

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 26, 2010 - 03:52 PM

I've not tried it,but apparently McDonalds has some really good coffee now.Has anybody tried it ?

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 26, 2010 - 10:18 PM

I think McDonalds coffee isn't too bad, it is actually pretty good. Their coffee always smells skunked but when it does you know it is going to be a good cup of coffee LOL

#15 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 08:05 PM

It infuriates me when I go somewhere and they have made he portion smaller for the same price. IT is cheating me. I would rather havet eh same size hamburger for a little more money.

• Team_Green said thank you