• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 07:47 AM

I needed to  clean the roof gutters on our house and I had ordered a kit for my leaf blower when I boght it. Turned out that it was too much of a chore for this out of shape old geezer to hold the leaf blower up for any length of time, so my grandson used to do it for me.  He's been in the Marines for the past couple of years and so the gutters haven't been cleaned.  I looked at stuff for sale on the internet and  saw a few shop vac kits that seemed like they'd work, so I took a chance and bought the kit for my Ridgid shop vac from Home Depot.  The general use seemed to be to vacuum, but that would mean bringing it down and unclogging the tube every few minutes.  Sure, that'd work but would take a lonnng time. 

I decided to get some large hose ( pvc ? )  clamps and tighten the wands/ tubes together and attach it to the exhaust port of the shop vac.  I bought two extra wands at HD, too, so that I could have easier control.  I am happy to report that this set up works like a charm !!  I only did about half of the back gutter because we had company show up, but it was  much easier than wielding a leaf blower. I'll go out later on today  and finish the job.

Just thought I'd pass this on to anyone who's interested in a light and easy way  to clean their gutters.  higher roof?  ------  more wands. 

• MH81, hamman, IamSherwood and 7 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me!

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 08:05 AM

Good idea. Glad it worked for you. Thanks for reminding me.

I gotta chase the wife up the ladder soon. :smilewink:

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 08:53 AM

You should have let the company help finish the job! :bigrofl:

Thanks for the idea!

#5 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 09:18 AM

thanks for the reminder, got to do mine too. 

Tom

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 09:19 AM

Didn't you have to elbow the end so it would blow onto the gutter?

#7 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Ha you OT, how about a picture of your set up so we can understand exactly what you used.

Dick

• hamman said thank you

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 10:08 AM

So far I haven't had to clean the gutters. Maybe the winds that we have does it for me.  :D  I still go up and check every so often.

• hamman said thank you

#9 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 10:51 AM

JRJ, I'll try to post a picture later on.  Here's the kit from HD  All you need is the clamps and as many wands as you may need.  ..........  http://www.homedepot...d_At_Home_Depot

• Sawdust said thank you

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 11:46 AM

NIce idea. I used a piece of 3/4" and 1/2" coppeer pipe. Attached it to my aircompressor. I flattened out the end of the 1/2" to make it wider and narrower. Fitted up the pipe using copper elbows and 45+ angles. I also attached a handle using a 3/4" tee about a foot up from the fittings where it attaches to the air hose. I put in a 3/4" ball vale to regulate the air. It worked great. I don't have a picture as I made this about 35yrs ago for my dad. It was about 10' long and wasn't that heavy. Dad was 65 then and he handled it very well. Thanks. for reminding me. Roger.

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Sounds like it is working out well for you. I have a lot of pine trees and the needles are hard to keep out of the gutters. I just did mine the other day and had to use a ladder and dig the needles out with my bare hands because they were packed in really tight. It would be much easier to do it from the ground. 

#12 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 07:27 PM

did mine the old way today on both the house and garage,  set up ladder, scoop with hand as far as I could reach both directions, climb down, move ladder, repeat as wet as the ones at the bottom were there was no way a shop vac or yard blower would have gotten them outta there

#13 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Sounds like it is working out well for you. I have a lot of pine trees and the needles are hard to keep out of the gutters. I just did mine the other day and had to use a ladder and dig the needles out with my bare hands because they were packed in really tight. It would be much easier to do it from the ground. 

other than the not being able to see if you got everything while standing on the ground

• JDBrian said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 07:54 AM

other than the not being able to see if you got everything while standing on the ground

True. I'm thinking of replacing all my longer standard gutters with the larger size. The roof is large and they overflow often in heavy rain. I also have some leaks at the corners that have defied my attempts to fix them. It may be easier to just hire an expert to come in and replace the works. They are 20 yrs old. 

#15 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 03:09 PM

Not a problem.  You can feel the bottom of the gutter.   Two years of junk took longer than I expected. That, and me only being able to do a little at a time due to my C.O.PD.   I found my camera today.  I'll try to post a pic on the next sunny day.