• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 03:52 AM

Anybody have any recommendations on which brand/weight hydro oil to run in the open sided Fords?  I was going to use a bottle of Deere Hydrostatic Fluid I have laying around, but figured I'd ask first.  The manual I printed off wasn't much help.  Thanks

• JRJ and T Guiles have said thanks

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 05:14 AM

If its for the big tractors , it will be just fine. Don't use any atf fluids , they are not thick enough or have the best lube packages for the pressures obtained by these units.
  • JRJ said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 07:24 AM

JD 20D low viscosity is what JD recommends for the Sundstrand hydros in the 300 series tractors. It should be compatible with any small tractor hydro drive. They also make a higher viscosity version for hotter climates. 

#4 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 07:52 AM

According to the specs I saw for the JD 20 oil it is too thin for the Eaton Hydro . They like a heavier oil . The standard Hy-Guard is better . You want a 32wt hydraulic/trans fluid. But even straight hydraulic fluid that is 32wt will work just fine. Oh and believe me straight hydraulic oil will lube the transmission gears just fine especially ones inside an aluminum gear case.   

The differences between the 2 are moisture and anti-foaming additives . They both have corrosion resistance , but the trans stuff has anti-foaming additives for high speed transmissions like on the big tractors as they run down the road.