Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The big bang theory! I love the tv show, but not when my tractor does it!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 07:22 PM

well everyone, 1st night snowblowing this year and I was cutting through a 3ft drift up against my garage. All the sudden I here a loud Bang!!! Then a bunch of loud rotational clunking. I shut the 1050 down immediately and jump out. I checked the blower, all was good, checked the pto shaft and that was good. I started it back up, and it ran and moved fine. So I backed it into the garage and further investigated. Well the pto output shaft splined pulley sheered all its teeth off and is stripped right out. Sooooo I got some work to do. has anyone changed out the pto shaft. It looks easy, 3 bolts, disconnect 2 belts? How hard is it to do? I guess it could of been worse!!! Well everyone wish me luck!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens snowblowing.jpg
  • bolens blowing s.jpg

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 07:35 PM

It's not hard to replace the pto on the Bolens. It is basically just three bolts and two belts. Do you have a whole other pto assembly you can put on or are you just going to replace the shaft?

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 07:40 PM

Sorry to hear that.Seen it happen a few times.I would just loosen up the three bolts and push it up and snug one backup.Remove the gaurd if it still has one.Remove the retaining clip in front of pulley and off it comes.Hopefuly it will only be the pulley but i would say the shaft my be messed up to.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 07:52 PM

Sorry to hear that.Seen it happen a few times.I would just loosen up the three bolts and push it up and snug one backup.Remove the gaurd if it still has one.Remove the retaining clip in front of pulley and off it comes.Hopefuly it will only be the pulley but i would say the shaft my be messed up to.

It's not hard to replace the pto on the Bolens. It is basically just three bolts and two belts. Do you have a whole other pto assembly you can put on or are you just going to replace the shaft?

:ditto:

Hope it all goes smooth for you.
I did end up doing my neighbors and my driveway again.. but with these winds we have, all the snow was blowing back at me and it was not a good day for pics or video's LOL
Your lucky you got the cab

#5 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 07:23 AM

Yea, I have a pto assembly somewhere in my barn. I'm probably just gonna swap out the whole assembly and see if I can repair the broken one at work.(its much warmer at work than in my garage). Now all I gotta worry about is getting my barn doors to open. They like to freeze to the ground and not slide. While I have the pto out, should I swap the belts? If they just slide on without tearing the back of the motor apart I would swap them. They are in good shape, work just fine, but I know there pretty old.

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 07:42 AM

To take off the PTO belts your going to have to take off the drive belts and also you may have to loosen the engine mounts to slide the drive belts on and off...

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 07:52 AM

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Good news that it's not a bad job, and that you have the parts (as long as the barn doors don't fight back).:D

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 05:31 AM

Sorry to hear about your problem,hope you can rectify it.