• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 11:57 AM

How are the simplicities today? are they built well? or mtd junk....

• JRJ said thank you

#2 acguy96 OFFLINE  

acguy96

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5431
  • 26 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Overall, they're not too bad. My grandfather got one a few years ago. It has a 38 inch deck, and he has mowed a lot of grass with it. Keep in mind that his tractor is not a commercial duty model, but more of a base model, so I have no experience with the heavier duty ones. Probably the biggest problem he has had with it was when the axle snapped. He took it to a guy we know who works on mowers and the guy had an axle for it lying around. He had just finished working on a John Deere with the same rearend that needed an entire new one. He still had the old rear lying around, so my grandfather got his axle fixed reasonably cheap. The guy also said that some of the rears are not made to be rebuilt and, if I remember right, cost over $800 for a new one. Only certain rears have problems, though. Simplicity still uses the deep deck design.

Edited by acguy96, November 08, 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 07:47 AM

Their heavy duty GT's look really nice but are pricey. There aren't a lot of real heavy GT's left in production now and the Simplicities are a good alternative to the JD700 series. Those AWD AWS diesel JD tractors are a hard act to follow though! 

#4 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 07:51 AM

Overall, they're not too bad. My grandfather got one a few years ago. It has a 38 inch deck, and he has mowed a lot of grass with it. Keep in mind that his tractor is not a commercial duty model, but more of a base model, so I have no experience with the heavier duty ones. Probably the biggest problem he has had with it was when the axle snapped. He took it to a guy we know who works on mowers and the guy had an axle for it lying around. He had just finished working on a John Deere with the same rearend that needed an entire new one. He still had the old rear lying around, so my grandfather got his axle fixed reasonably cheap. The guy also said that some of the rears are not made to be rebuilt and, if I remember right, cost over $800 for a new one. Only certain rears have problems, though. Simplicity still uses the deep deck design.

I was on the website, and the smallest one is over 1,500. Their biggest model thats comparable to the jd 700 series is over 15,000! the look pretty tough to me!

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 06:44 AM

Being a fan of the old iron (and being as that is about all I can afford to chase), I don't have a lot of personal experience with the newer stuff.  My 2000 Sovereign was the latest model I had, up until a couple months ago.  That model was the very last of the old 'large frame' GT's by Simplicity, and was the best of the best, of 40 years of what worked, and was worked best.

I traded up to a 2003 Legacy, and wow....that's a lot of GT.  Some call it a subcompact, and it does act like one.  Mine has Cat1 3pt (oem was Cat 0), 540 pto, a loader good for 700# or so and an extremely comfortable operator experience.  They have always built great machines, and I see nothing but the same in this one. 

From talking to plenty of late model Simplicity owners, each price point is top of the line quality.  It seems most manufacturers these days use the same or similar transaxles, engines, etc...it's what htey wrap around them that makes some stand out (and it's not paint).  =]

• bowtiebutler956 said thank you