Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

John Deere 420 hydrostatic fluid check

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair ONLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 464 Thanks
  • 938 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:06 PM

How do I check the fluid level for hydraulics/hydrostatic drive on a John Deere 420? I've been told there should be some sort of sight on the back of the tractor or under the seat, and if you can see fluid in it it has enough, but I don't see anything there.

There is a piece of what might have been clear tubing at one time, but it's not clear anymore. Is that the level sight? It looks more like a fuel line.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 19,611 Thanks
  • 24,162 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:22 PM

Yep, that tube is the sight level for the oil. You just need to replace with new line. I believe there is a metal clip part way up the rear that the oil level should stay between the ends of.
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#3 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 1,477 Thanks
  • 1,634 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 07:44 PM

Yep, that tube is the sight level for the oil. You just need to replace with new line. I believe there is a metal clip part way up the rear that the oil level should stay between the ends of.

Correct! The originals were glass inside the bracket ( on the rear frame to the right & above the drawbar). Replacement is just a piece of plastic tubing. Oil level should be within the bracket. ~~ grnspot110
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#4 Reverend Blair ONLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 464 Thanks
  • 938 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 08:08 PM

Excellent. Now when my buddy calls me back, I can say, "never mind" instead of asking him the question. Come to think of it, he was looking back there when we looked at the tractor before buying it.

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 2,465 Thanks
  • 4,442 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 09:02 PM

You might want to check a owners manual to see if the engine needs to be a idle when your checking it , my 318 and 400 need to be idling.

#6 luscikauskas OFFLINE  

luscikauskas

• Member No: 2824
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 09:47 AM

Just wanted to ask, is it OK, for the tube end to be open to the top of the check glass?

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 19,611 Thanks
  • 24,162 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 10:19 AM

Just wanted to ask, is it OK, for the tube end to be open to the top of the check glass?

It is supposed to have a breather on the end. If it is plugged, the oil can't come up the tube to show the fluid level. You can use a tiny fuel filter, then add a short piece of tubing off the top of the filter, turning it downward to help prevent water from entering.