• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • Member No: 49320
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 02:34 AM

Is it actually a good thing to keep your tractor and parts supply a secret at least until another GTter has an urgent need? I may have found a gold mine of Vintage parts. I am going to have a look at it and decide if it's worth the trouble of keeping to myself, or sharing with the rest of you strangers here at GTt.

I know that some of you are in my area of the country, so I have a feeling you would eventually find your way to my backyard to pick this new find. I will certainly share when there is something to be shared. I really have no idea just how good this find might be, so friend me quick if you live in Vermont, Northern New York, New Hampshire, or Massachusetts. Oh, alright, Canadians too.

I'll be back with a review of this new find, and maybe a picture or two, but in the meantime tell us about your secret source. It may lead to a movement to preserve old GT & LT parts in "salvage yards".

• MH81, IamSherwood, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:17 AM

You can tell me where it is because you are way too far away from my home! :bigrofl:

• JRJ and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:49 AM

My secret source is my town transfer center. It is amazing what people are throwing away. Good Luck, Rick

• sacsr and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#4 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 01:06 PM

My secret source is my town transfer center. It is amazing what people are throwing away. Good Luck, Rick

The transfer stations around here used to be a decent place to find parts for push mowers, but now that the metal recycling stations are making you provide a statement of ownership when you bring in metal, you might as well forget the small fee for parts policy that some transfer stations had. With all metal being dropped off at the stations being property of the metal recyclers I doubt the transfer station can even allow you to touch mower parts anymore. 

In order to get to the "gold" before the metal "recyclers" get their hands on it you have to find it in people's yards, and that's only when it's already "On the curb". Lawn sales, estate cleanings, maybe even auctions have become the only way to get to the "farm fresh" vintage metal unless you find a stash in the middle of a person's private property.

Vermont is that far gone. If it's in the open it's probably "Junk", and if it's junk you can't let it show, and if anyone objects to the junk or the fence you get fined until it's all gone. Put up a building? Depending on the town I hope you've got the money for the permits and pubic relations effort to build on your own property. Sorry for the political rant guys. We used to be able to find the goodies fairly easily, but as more oppressive regulations take effect for the sake of the environment, while they place huge ugly windmills on our naturally beautiful hillsides, we're forced to ask to look into peoples barns and other buildings, or pay premium prices for junk.

We also have to contend with cars running around with big hand painted ads on them that say, WE REMOVE YOUR SCRAP METAL FOR FREE.  CALL XXX-XXX-XXXX  The newspaper ads have been around for 20 years or so now as well. 

I think you can see why a person here might want to stay quiet about a place offering a dozen or more vintage lawn and garden tractors for sale. It's the Black Market you know. Knock twice, whistle Hail Britainnia, spin three times to the left, and say Tony the Greek sent me and you're in.  :hitting_self_roller:

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 01:07 PM

You can tell me where it is because you are way too far away from my home! :bigrofl:

I'm just gonna say,  :watching_you: 

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Our transfer station has an area called a swap shed. Decent and repairable items are put in it. Many mowers, trimmers, furniture, toys, books, and home materials. I've had people offer me Lts and RERs if I follow them to their house and take them away. Our TS is our social center so I am often there for an hour talking to people. Good Luck, Rick

• KC9KAS said thank you

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,748 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 10:56 PM

You guys probably haven't heard of it, but I use this thing on the interweb called Craig's List of stuff for sale. I think it may catch on.

• sacsr, pigsitter and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#8 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 11:00 PM

You guys probably haven't heard of it, but I use this thing on the interweb called Craig's List of stuff for sale. I think it may catch on.

Never heard of it can you post a link?

• pigsitter and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,748 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 11:02 PM

Never heard of it can you post a link?

No, it's a secret source, silly.

• wilberj said thank you

#10 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 11:20 PM

No, it's a secret source, silly.

Well fine then dont ask me for anything! :mad2:

:rolling:

#11 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 12:35 AM

I actually found the secret source on Craig's List. You can find it there as well, but I'm sure other people know a guy that has a lot of everything but only seems to sell to them and a few other select people. If you're struggling for an answer to the question, there's Yes, No, I have a friend, I know a guy who worked on small engines, and any number of other answers, but I understand a secret is just that.

Then again, you might want to say, I wish I had a source, but I love the forum sponsors so much I always use them for my parts needs, and catch my project tractors on Ebay and Craig's List. I'm not big on travel myself so I'll leave Ebay alone unless it's for a small part.

:peace:

• boyscout862 said thank you

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 07:36 AM

Is it actually a good thing to keep your tractor and parts supply a secret at least until another GTter has an urgent need? I may have found a gold mine of Vintage parts. I am going to have a look at it and decide if it's worth the trouble of keeping to myself, or sharing with the rest of you strangers here at GTt.

I know that some of you are in my area of the country, so I have a feeling you would eventually find your way to my backyard to pick this new find. I will certainly share when there is something to be shared. I really have no idea just how good this find might be, so friend me quick if you live in Vermont, Northern New York, New Hampshire, or Massachusetts. Oh, alright, Canadians too.

I'll be back with a review of this new find, and maybe a picture or two, but in the meantime tell us about your secret source. It may lead to a movement to preserve old GT & LT parts in "salvage yards".

Hi

If you could please, take a look in your secert source, for one of these.

http://gardentractor...st/#entry268896

I'm from Canada, and I "friended" you.

Thanks

• MadAtGrass said thank you

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,656 Thanks
  • 7,682 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 07:38 AM

The place I know is Zimmerman's Recycling in DeKalb, Il. He has figured out that there is money in old metal and he pulls aside the stuff that might resell. There is still a rusty old Pioneer two wheeler sitting there. He's cagey to deal with, though!

• sacsr and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#14 mowerbeast OFFLINE  

mowerbeast
  • Member No: 29683
  • 32 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 08:21 AM

The transfer station around here says you're not supposed to take anything, but everyone does and the workers will even help load it for you. My guess is it's more of a liability issue, so they put the sign up to cover their backs.

They have lots of push mowers in the metal pile, I got a weedwhacker the other day that runs fine. They had one of those old cub cadet bath tub rear engine riders too, but someone put stacks on it, changed the pulleys, painted it, and ripped the deck off, so it wasn't worth the hassle to take.

#15 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 08:31 AM

My experience with secret sources has usually been "hey guess what I spotted" with a reply of "oh yeah that guy we get stuff from him all the time!"