• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ricky racer OFFLINE  

ricky racer
  • Member No: 49307
  • 39 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'm thinking of adding a front end loader to my newly aquired PK and would like to know opinions on the addition of a FEL. Does it work well with a PK with 24" tires and 14 Kohler. Also what value does the addition of a FEL add to the tractor? Opinoins, opinions, opinions...... give me yours.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yes, you can put a FEL onto a PK with 24 inch tires, but it is not advised. The 24 inch models have taller front spindles that are prone to bending when put under the force of a loader. The 16 inch models are much better suited for FEL use.
  • JRJ said thank you

#3 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Ryan has spoke-don't do it.

Dick

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:47 AM

Having a 2418 w/fel I'll agree with Ryan & Dick on this one  .  I've had it for better then 15 years and it's very handy BUT , the po lowered the front axle and shorted the spindles , guessing he bent them , and having a manual shift your really working the cluch/throw-out bearing using the loader , ( and your leg lol) and steering it not much fun with a loaded bucket .  Having one on  a hydro with p/s would be so much better . I'm sure a factory fel would add value but unless you got a loader to put on  cheap say under $500  , I'm not sure if you would get you money out

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:58 AM

I had the one in my avatar and hated running it. As noted, you need a third arm with shifting, steering and valve use all at one time. The bucket on mine seemed shallow and didn't keep much in it when lifted. Can't tilt them back very far either. The actual digging bucket is quite narrow and has teeth. The bigger bucket like mine was for loose dirt/gravel or snow, not for digging.  I made a snow blade for on mine but sold it before I could use it on snow. I did play in gravel some and think it would have been pretty good for snow removal if I had kept it. As to value.......Yes, to some guys wanting one bad........NO, because it is  harder on tractor and most people try to work it too hard for what it actually can handle.  Wears out the tractor quicker.

• Alc said thank you

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:21 PM

There were at least two different loaders offered.The early Pony model is the one with the shallow bucket that does not tilt back very far.This loader can be identified by having the control valve mounted on top of the cylindrical hydraulic tank.The later loaders were a far better loader.

• Alc said thank you

#7 ricky racer OFFLINE  

ricky racer
  • Member No: 49307
  • 39 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 09:27 PM

There were at least two different loaders offered.The early Pony model is the one with the shallow bucket that does not tilt back very far.This loader can be identified by having the control valve mounted on top of the cylindrical hydraulic tank.The later loaders were a far better loader.

This is the loader I'm looking at:

00J0J_gbkNo3SkRAe_300x300.jpg

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 10:52 PM

This is the loader I'm looking at:

00J0J_gbkNo3SkRAe_300x300.jpg

That is the nice loader.