#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 08:57 AM

I'am absolutely amazed at how some stuff is made nowadays.We had a 2003 impala.Putting gas into the tank has become a real chore.It takes forever to do.The way its made it doesn't allow air to bleed back up from the fill tube.Some where there's some kinda vent that lets the air out but due to the design it plugs with dust etc: over time and filling it now is absolutely nuts.Yeah of course its been hard the last few yrs but now this winter once it got really cold out its almost become a job in itself to fill.The bad part is that there's lots out there like this.Why when they make the new stuff don't they take into consideration that the vehicles aren't run in a dust free enviroment.Sorry just venting about having to dress warmly to put gas in the car[the gas attendants don't seem to want to be bothered with spending time to make sure it's actually got a full tank] Larry

Edited by massey driver, December 14, 2010 - 02:47 PM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 09:15 AM

IMO It seems anything new is becoming a lot more complicated to use compared to the Equipment of yesterday.

For example, Those new plastic gas cans with the safety cap/vent are also a real PITA.
I went back to metal

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 09:49 AM

With my 98 Grand Cherokee, if I put the fuel pump nozzle way down in the fill pipe, then it will kick off the pump pronto, even in the slowest notch of the nozzle handle. If I just put the nozzle into the fill pipe about 2", then it'll take the fuel fast with no kicking the handle off at all.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 12:08 PM

We have a 98 Ford box truck @ work that we have to put the nozel in upside down or it'll kick off. Upside down, it'll fill fine & shut off when full. Took a while to figure that one out.

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 02:22 PM

Huh. The gas fill problems sound similar to things I've run into with GMC/Chev trucks from the 1970s and 1980s. I'm not sure all of these design problems are new. Of course that just makes me wonder why they haven't fixed them yet.

What gets me is how hard they've made it to fix things. I needed a new power steering pressure hose on 2004 GMC truck. There's lots of room in that area so they could have place hoses and so on where they were easy to replace. Instead they jammed them all together so there's no room to work. A simple fifteen minute job becomes 45 minutes of skinned knuckles and frustration.

Then there's the prices. $85.00 for a power steering hose?

The heater fan on the same truck cost an arm and a leg to fix too. The controller, a simple circuit board, costs a couple hundred. The plastic connect was another $100 or so. Why? Dealer parts, nothing available in the aftermarket (I think there are now, but nothing a couple years ago).

Mrs. Rev used to have a mid nineties Oldsmobile. To change the battery, you had to remove a brace and the windshield washer reservoir. Even then there was no room to work.

It's just hard to fix things now.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 03:23 PM

ALL engineers should HAVE to work on the same sort of "whatever" they are designing before being allowed to submit any design. I can tell you for sure that if this was implemented, things would be far less complicated & not nearly as physically difficult to work on. Used to to change out an auto air conditioner evaporator or heater core, all could be accessed easily under the hood. Now, the ENTIRE dash has to come out. I still do it myself, but as I get older I may either hire it done or do without heat/and or air.....it's just senseless how things are put together.

#7 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 03:50 PM

IMO It seems anything new is becoming a lot more complicated to use compared to the Equipment of yesterday.

For example, Those new plastic gas cans with the safety cap/vent are also a real PITA.
I went back to metal

Ditto that. More complicated, and cheaply made.

#8 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 05:09 PM

You have to remember when the design stuff today it's not designed to be fixed or worked on by the average guy. Cost, the assembly line, sellability are the main factors.

Cheapest thing they can put together that's the easiest to make and sellable to the public at the highest profit margin possible.
And when it fails they want you to bring it back to THEM to fix.

Remember the jeeps that were made during WW2, they were made so the average guy could fix them in the field with basic tools.
Are cars and trucks made that way today?

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:41 PM

I agree with all that's been said, and I would like to add: Why all the special tools? I could see if it was a better way to do something...like the phillips screwdriver, but they're not they're just so you'll have to buy the doggone tools in order to make the repair! :wtf:

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:50 PM

I agree with all that's been said, and I would like to add: Why all the special tools? I could see if it was a better way to do something...like the phillips screwdriver, but they're not they're just so you'll have to buy the doggone tools in order to make the repair! :wtf:

More like their attempt to FORCE you to take it to a dealer. They like to say it's to protect one from himself, but I doubt that.

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:53 PM

See my Blog about someday your the dog. A harmonic balancer that is 6 years old, 120K miles needs to be replaced. Th balancer cost $300. Dont get me started on having to replace all the wheel bearings at 110K miles and the bearing costing $150 plus the another $150 for the front hubs because they cant be pressed out.

#12 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 07:01 PM

I'll have to add this in here to kinda show its not all bad.On this same car this spring the fuel sender went out not cheap by any means for the new one.But changing it wasn't all as bad as what it could have been.Believe it or not I just had to get into the back seat and fold down the back seats,lift up the carpet in the trunk,take out a few bolts that hold down a plate.Guess what can pull the sending unit and fuel pump out just by removing that plate.Believe me was I ever surpised that they had designed that into the car.Now because of not being able to put gas into it without having a cup of coffee at the same time.Now I'll have to pull out the tank and try and clean out the parts and lines that have filled with dust& dirt.Should have done it in the summer.Larry

#13 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 06:22 PM

Because of it taking so long to put gas into the car,it didn't matter if the nozzle was turned unside down left or right in all the way out a bit etc: I took my tractors out of the shop and put them into the garage where the car stays.I put the car in yesterday afternoon so that it would thaw out for this morning.Ok I pulled the purge cannister off and tried blowing through it noway.I the put the air nozzle into the gas tank stuffed rags around the opening and blew air into the tank.Sure enough the air came out of the line that goes onto the purge cannister.So what I did was take the old cannister apart and clean it out of dust and dirt.I then made more of a filter then what comes with it.I could blow air through it no problem after that.I put it all together and after the car was back outside the wife went to town to do some shopping etc;I got her to fill the car up while she was in town and they were finallt able to fill it without to much problem.Anyway later on once I had done stuff that needed to be done I took the other purge cannister apart to see why I couldn't blow air through it.Upon further examination I saw inside where the air goes there was something blocking the way.I took a screw driver and push and poked and found out that the rubber off the small valve was jammed.I guess from what I can figure is with all the dust that gets inside this cannister some dust /dirt makes its way into the valve.Anyway I was able to clean all the dust out and was able to put the rubber back onto the end of the valve.There's a small spring that pushes up on the valve so that when the power is off to the sender it opens the valve to allow the air to purge from the tank during filling.What I've found now is that the filter material is so course that it lets all this dust get into where the valve is.So what I ended up doing was use some foam and make it so it actually fills in all the void inside the canister hopefully not letting in so much dust and dirt.Guess I won't really know how it will work untill I put it back on and of course the gravel roads are snow covered right now and theres not as much dust.All I know is that the car can be filled again without fighting to get gas into it.The other thing is where they have this cannister mounted is right behind the rear wheel's inner fender.Of course its got to be put right in the dust.I'd move it but then I'd have to put in a longer hose and move the wire's as well.I'll try this with the better fittering material and see if it works.Larry

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 07:17 PM

l

Yeah,tell me about,I have a real dislike for them.

#15 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 02:04 PM

...... cheaply made.

No kidding. We have a 2003 GM 3500 work van. Have you heard of the saying drive it till the doors fall off? Well that happend a couple years ago. No wonder the company went under. They cant design a door hinge. Or use glue to hold up the door seals. Or use bulbs that last longer than 6 months. Or interior materials that dont warp and crack. How about wiring that the insulation doesnt fall off of.