• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 04:20 PM

A friend had a 5.5HP MTD snowblower he wanted to give to his sis but couldn't get it started. I brought it home and first checked the usual, spark, fuel etc. It cranked over pretty easy w/ the rope so took the shroud off and using my cordless drill to turn it backward in case it has comp release. I didn't think so. Comp tested 45psi. Removed the head and found the exhaust valve not closing completely, probably wore the seat down some. Removed it and ground about .010 off the stem. Reinstalled and made sure it has some lash. Buttoned it all up and it starts and runs like a lil' champ. I'll take it to his sis this PM.
Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, November 06, 2013 - 04:48 PM.

• MH81, hamman, JDBrian and 5 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 04:52 PM

I wonder how the valve managed to stretch that 10thou. I had a little MTD blower with a 5hp on it. It was 24" wide. I found it under powered for a driveway the size of mine. it used to take me an hour or more even after a small storm. I sold it to a friend who had a driveway about 30ft. long. It worked great for him. I bought an 11hp Ariens for my 300ft. driveway. 

• JRJ said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Good for you, thanks for taking care of your friend.
  • JRJ said thank you

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Damn Mike you do good fast work at a decent price.

Dick

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 08:27 PM

I've found over the yrs the small B&S have a tendency to hammer the exh valve seat 'til it loses lash and then somehow reach the point of not seating completely.

Mike

#6 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for all the thanks!! I try to  help out friends and neighbors however I can. The sister and hubby were thrilled to have it as they aren't young anymore. I'd wondered for several yrs why hubby didn't get a snowblower. He finally told me as one our volunteer EMT's he got called out for an emergency. A teenage boy had somehow gotten his hand in a snowblower while it was running and it chewed his hand really bad. I told him kids, even teens need adult supervision. I pointed out the little plastic paddle clipped on the housing and said that was put there by big bro' for the use of ignorant or stupid people. He didn't say how many yrs ago this happened. Maybe it was before snowblowers were designed so when the blower handle was released it would stop. I feel for the teen because it was lack of parental supervision IMO.

Mike