• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • Member No: 49320
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 02:23 AM

This was posted yesterday...I'm up too late...the asking price is $200.00 or best offer. Motor is not working. What would you pay? It's an hour long trip one way.

CL FS John Deere 185.jpg

I don't think it will be around long.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:30 AM

First, welcome to GTtalk!  glad u found this site!

That is a mid eighties lawn riding lawnmower.  Those were good little mowers, for sure, but I would be leary of the fact the motor is not working. 

Do you know why it isn't running?   Since you can see or hear it running then you can't see if the hydro is working either.  Check it out as much as you can over the phone with the owner before you head out to see it.   Good luck!

• farmer john said thank you

#3 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:40 AM

i own 2 of these 185 hydos, very under rated machines, 17 1/2 hp kawasaki , 38 inch deck, its a never bog down grass cutting machine, both machines i bought were not running, paid $300 and $250, both had ignition regulator problems , about $50 repair, ask if it has spark, then you probably know, you already know he will take less that $200 with his ad saying "or best offer", wave $125 under his noise( considering the time of year) but be prepaired to go higher i dont think you will be making a mistake, whats a one hour drive? once you get the gt bug you start to think along the lines of " if i leave at dawn i might be back before dark to cut the lawn with it"

Edited by farmer john, November 06, 2013 - 05:45 AM.

• cumminsmannow and JRJ have said thanks

#4 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 07:28 AM

My first thought was that's too high then I remembered I've paid more for rougher tractors. :smilewink:  It looks to be in pretty good shape so it may be a good roll of the dice.As was said above cash talks on an or best offer deal so start low and who knows what it may come home for. :thumbs:

• farmer john and JRJ have said thanks

#5 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 07:44 AM

It's had a fair amount of use judging from the wear on the front tires. Also noticed that the shroud for the motor sitting in front of the seat so someone has been tinkering with it.

It does look to be in good cosmetic shape so it is worth the asking price imo.
  • farmer john and JRJ have said thanks