42 replies to this topic

#16 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 11:53 PM

Cool Impala, Nbent, while all my friends back in the 60's were all crazy about the Chevy IIs, Chevelles and later the Camaro craze, I was always most fond of the big 'ol Impala size cars and I really liked 4 door hardtops like this! Depending on your goals with this car, and how much you have invested, It may not hurt to try to make it fire. Pull the plugs and turn it over by hand a bunch of times if it don't thunk to a stop, there's no bolts or nuts dropped down the intake, and slop in the timing chain can be determined at the same time. 

It can be driven the way it looks, clean it up put seat covers on it and work on it as you drive it. Too many people, including me, start taking everything apart right away then there they sit overwhelmed, I have one I took apart, and one I decided to just make it run and work on it as I go. Guess which one is more fun right now----and most affordable too.

Just my opinion, If it was something like Barrett-Jackson material, sure take it apart and do everything to the meticulous extreme, but this car could be a blast just to have as a driver.

Later---DAC

i plan on driving it, the only reason for taking the intake manifold off is because it has sat for many years without a carb, but i found one for it today.

• MFDAC said thank you

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 12:23 AM

The other good reason to take the intake manifold off is to lubricate the camshaft before you turn it over. The cam is one of the first things to start pitting on an engine that's been setting.

Good luck with your project.

• Alc and MFDAC have said thanks

#18 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 11:36 PM

i plan on driving it, the only reason for taking the intake manifold off is because it has sat for many years without a carb, but i found one for it today.

Yeah that will be good cheap insurance. Pretty amazing it still turns over with no carb.

The other good reason to take the intake manifold off is to lubricate the camshaft before you turn it over. The cam is one of the first things to start pitting on an engine that's been setting.

Good luck with your project.

It would be cool to get an oil system primer tool since the distributor is out anyway to actually pressure up the oil system before firing it up.

I've gotten away without it several times but someday I may be sorry I didn't! They are pretty easy to build if you have an old distributor laying around.

Later---DAC

#19 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 09:34 AM

I would still worry about what has gotten into the engine. Good Luck, Rick

#20 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:24 PM

well after pulling the intake manifold i decided to pull the heads, during that process a friend was over working on the wiring and got the motor to crank with the ignition, then the starter solenoid stuck and the engine cranked over 2 times then stopped, now it wont budge. :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging: pic will come later 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#21 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:43 PM

You would probably be further ahead to drop a crate engine in it

#22 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 05:28 PM

i dont know i have a few friends with an engine machine shop and we have a 427 block that i might put in it along with a different tranny 

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#23 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 05:59 PM

There you go!

#24 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 09:00 PM

now im wondering if the problem is the bottom half or the transmission because the pistons i could reach easy i could get some side to side movement, not much but enough to notice

#25 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:44 PM

All that comes to mind is Wax on Wax off..

BTW.. That will be a sweet car....

#26 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 10:47 PM

well after a few weeks right now i have the trans and motor out and im going to tear down the motor the rest of the way then decide what i am going to do, i might end up just selling the car.

#27 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 08:34 AM

i might end up just selling the car.

Have you lost interest already??? That didn't take long.

#28 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 09:07 AM

its not that i lost interest im just tired of everybody asking what are you going to do with that pos  

#29 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 09:32 AM

its not that i lost interest im just tired of everybody asking what are you going to do with that pos  

They are just giving you the business and don't really see the potential that car has..  Yes, it will be an uphill climb,,  If you dropp that 427 in and start it up it will be a great car in everyone's eyes!  

"Ain't no replacement for Displacement"!!! :thumbs:

#30 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 10:22 AM

There is a lot of work there.  Even with a running motor.  Brakes, bearings, tires, steering components, and suspension that will need to be gone over and fixed before I'd even considering driving it around my yard. 

Sure isn't a weekend project.  To do that car justice you would be looking at a long process.  Doing that kind of work to a 4 door isn't worth it in my mind. 

But if you like the car, darn what everyone else thinks and have fun!

This is coming from a guy who dropped around 20 grand building a 2003 Dodge Neon into a 500HP turbo monster car.  That thing was a beast, everyone made fun of me till they rode in it. 

500HP is too much on the street!

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 25, 2013 - 10:23 AM.