42 replies to this topic

#1 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 12:48 AM

in a different thread i bought and then traded an oliver potato digger for this 1960 chevy impala. It needs a lot of TLC and wd40. the motor is free and it is a 283 v8.enough text here is the pics you are all waiting for.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00673.JPG
  • DSC00672.JPG
  • DSC00671.JPG
  • DSC00670.JPG
  • DSC00669.JPG
  • DSC00668.JPG
  • DSC00667.JPG
  • DSC00666.JPG
  • DSC00665.JPG
  • DSC00675.JPG
  • DSC00674.JPG

• MH81, Alc, MFDAC and 7 others have said thanks

#2 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 12:52 AM

I love the lines of the old rides, back when you could tell what brand it was a mile away.  Very nice project

• JRJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 01:07 AM

Amazing car but your definitely right the amount of love its going to need 

• JRJ said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 06:03 AM

I haven't seen many of that vintage Impala around here. It's a nice car with lots of potential. It still has the fins that were big in the late 50's but they are horizontal instead of vertical.

• JRJ said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 07:19 AM

Nice car, lots of potential there.
I see many, many hours in your future with this. :D
  • JRJ said thank you

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Wow! Is there any part of a Chevy that won't rust?

• WNYTractorTinkerer and JRJ have said thanks

#7 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Love the impalas.  Too far gone for me to want to tackle.  Be an awesome project if you have the skills to pull it off.

• JRJ said thank you

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 09:11 AM

Good luck with that. Remember restoring an old car is a journey of untold hours.Take your time and be paitent and it will all come together.  The 60 Impala is fairly rare. Back when I was in Highschool I think there must have been 15 59's for every 60.

You seem to have one fairly complete, so will spend less time hunting for parts.

• JRJ said thank you

#9 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 09:16 AM

Nice!  My first car, after getting my drivers licence, was a 60 Chevy Belair, 4 door, 283 automatic.  That car was great!  Sure wish I still had it. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 01:20 PM

If you want to save that engine, do not try to start it. They had a cartridge oil filter and the oils were lousy in those days. Chances are the timing chain has jumped a gear. You are best off pulling the engine and transmission to start. Disassemble and evaluate them. You also need to carefully inspect the frame. As I recall from 45 years ago, the frame has an "X" to it. I seem to remember they had warping problems. You just have to identify and correct any distortions.

If you do fix it up there is an adapter you can add that replaces the cartridge oil filter with a standart cannister filter. Find the shop manual and a Motor's Manual for it. Your practice on GTs can now be expanded. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,306 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 01:33 PM

If you want to save that engine, do not try to start it. They had a cartridge oil filter and the oils were lousy in those days. Chances are the timing chain has jumped a gear. You are best off pulling the engine and transmission to start. Disassemble and evaluate them. You also need to carefully inspect the frame. As I recall from 45 years ago, the frame has an "X" to it. I seem to remember they had warping problems. You just have to identify and correct any distortions.

If you do fix it up there is an adapter you can add that replaces the cartridge oil filter with a standart cannister filter. Find the shop manual and a Motor's Manual for it. Your practice on GTs can now be expanded. Good Luck, Rick

Good advice Scout!

Love the look of that ride..  Post lots of pictures of your progress!!   :iagree:

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 07:17 PM

What year did the 283's switch to a canister filter?  I know my friend's '63 had a canister, but it seems to me that engine was out of something newer.  I remember a '64? ('66?) pick-up with the cartridge though. No idea if that engine belonged with that truck either.

Anyway, the advice to strip the engine down without trying to start it is excellent.  It will need to be done anyway, and there's no point in damaging it.  If the engine is beyond help, pretty much any small block will fit in there, but original is always cool.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 07:52 PM

What year did the 283's switch to a canister filter?  I know my friend's '63 had a canister, but it seems to me that engine was out of something newer.  I remember a '64? ('66?) pick-up with the cartridge though. No idea if that engine belonged with that truck either.

Anyway, the advice to strip the engine down without trying to start it is excellent.  It will need to be done anyway, and there's no point in damaging it.  If the engine is beyond help, pretty much any small block will fit in there, but original is always cool.

My 66 Nova still has a cartridge and I believe it is the original engine. I think that the 307 that came out in 68 was canister. I know that in 63 Whitney was selling a kit that screwed into the cartridge area and converted it to canisters. The adapter gasket had to be replaced every few years. The gas stations I worked, in the late 60s, had to stock those gaskets. Another stroll(or cruise) down memory lane. I'm becoming like the old guys that I used to talk to when I was a kid. They'd tell about Stanley Steamers, WWI, pouring babbit bearings, and speak easys. Good Luck, Rick

• pigsitter said thank you

#14 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 08:31 PM

i don't know if i will pull the engine just yet im going to drain the tank change the oil and filter to see whats in it along with pulling the intake off. if it doesn't look horrible i will try to start it. i have had good luck with other engines similar to this that i have gotten running with out much effort. 

• MFDAC said thank you

#15 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 08:36 PM

in a different thread i bought and then traded an oliver potato digger for this 1960 chevy impala. It needs a lot of TLC and wd40. the motor is free and it is a 283 v8.enough text here is the pics you are all waiting for.

Cool Impala, Nbent, while all my friends back in the 60's were all crazy about the Chevy IIs, Chevelles and later the Camaro craze, I was always most fond of the big 'ol Impala size cars and I really liked 4 door hardtops like this! Depending on your goals with this car, and how much you have invested, It may not hurt to try to make it fire. Pull the plugs and turn it over by hand a bunch of times if it don't thunk to a stop, there's no bolts or nuts dropped down the intake, and slop in the timing chain can be determined at the same time. 

It can be driven the way it looks, clean it up put seat covers on it and work on it as you drive it. Too many people, including me, start taking everything apart right away then there they sit overwhelmed, I have one I took apart, and one I decided to just make it run and work on it as I go. Guess which one is more fun right now----and most affordable too.

Just my opinion, If it was something like Barrett-Jackson material, sure take it apart and do everything to the meticulous extreme, but this car could be a blast just to have as a driver.

Later---DAC

• Sawdust said thank you