#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 09:31 PM

today! While getting machines moved around in the garage today I tried to get my Homelite T-16H running to move it. Now I just had it running last week and it ran great. A few weeks ago I installed a fuel shutoff valve that I had picked up at a tractor show this spring. I had been looking for a metal shutoff but was unable to find one. I found this one and one more in a bin at one of those " flea market" tents where they sell all the "old " type of things for our GTs. I paid $6.00 ea, and thought I was going to be all set. I tried to start "Bob" and he wouldn't start. It had fuel in the tank, spark at the plug and lots of battery. Yup I turned the valve on fuel in the filter (I could see it), my wife ever the assistand mechanic, asked...do you have gas , do you have spark, is the battery charged, is the fuel shutoff on? She was hoping to catch me missing something so she could just say, " see I told you so". I put gas in the spark plug hole, that always works, hit the key and it fired right away....then it stopped just as fast. Sure, still fuel in the fuel line, still has spark. Now I am thinking, fuel in the tank, spark and battery is fine. WTH???  I know where you think I'm going with this and you are right. After going in and taking a break, I had to see if the shutoff valve was bad. After grumbling and taking the fue line off and spilling liquid gold all over myself and the ground and the tractor, I blew through the line and nothing??!!! Turned the valve off, nothing, back on, nothing. After turning around a couple of times and muttering a few words of praise for my choice of purchases for a shutoff, and reminding myself that there was this little voice in the back of my mind when I put the shtoff on saying" maybe you should just leave it like it is,.....after all it has been that way for 42 years and working well, but I didn't listen. Now it's time to install another one. I don't trust the other one I bought so I ask our son to run to the ACE where he works to get one for me. An hour later and another $6.00 he brings me......yup, you guessed it, one just like it???? Well almost, it had a red handle where the other two had a maroon one. This one had a positive click to it when you turn it off and on. Dinner was ready and it was time to close the garge and put thing away for the night. I figured I will install it in the morning and get  "Bob" going so I can put him in the heated garge for winter duties. Comming in for dinner i was greeted by my wife who simply said, " If it ain't broke, don't fix it"....dinners ready......I washed my hands and sat down to the table to eat.  Wife tells me it will be a better day tomorrow.  Roger.

• MH81, HDWildBill, bgkid2966 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 09:46 PM

So, I am not the only one with a wife full of the infinite wisdom!  Thanks for sharing.

Geno

• hamman, jd.rasentrac, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Thats the way it goes sometimes.  Lesson learned.

• hamman said thank you

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Roger, Do you have a compressor and a blow gun? Turn the pressure way down, leave the cap loose, and try blowing backwards through the shut-off. Did you screw it direct into the tank? Maybe it has a smaller hole into the tank and its plugged full of crud? does it have a longer snout in the tank where you could see gas but it isn't deep enough to go over the snout and out? Just some thoughts.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 12:45 AM

Glad your wife is happy to assist you with your duties.

• hamman said thank you

#6 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 01:40 AM

Mine often says the same thing, most times she's right, darnit.

• hamman said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 06:15 AM

I've had trouble with some of the plastic ones you can get at HD etc. I bought 2 of them and they leaked bad when in the off position but not when on! Poor QC I guess. I always install a shutoff on any equipment that doesn't have one.

• hamman said thank you

#8 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 09:35 AM

This is something I have had a really hard time getting used to. I have never had shutoff fuel valves on any tractor except for my Ford 8N and Massy 50.

I have sat out in the tractor shed for almost an hour trying to get one started, to the point of running the battery down, only tho give up, then 30 minutes later the light bulb comes on "did I turn the fuel on?" Sure enough crank crank, vrroooooommm :wallbanging:

• hamman said thank you

#9 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Doug, I took it off and tried the air thing when it happened. Nothing. I was so frustrated and "mad" that I took a saw blade and cut it open. It only has three parts. The outer poly casing, a rubber sleeve and the handle (shutoff) and that is it. I believe (because I haven't taken it completely apart yet (which I intend to do) to see why it quit, that the rubber sleeve got " sticky" from the new gasoline. I normally run, what they call here Recreational Fuel, in iall my GTs and mowers as well as 4wheelers and the antique tractors.

Once I get it apart I believe I will see that the rubber softened enough to not move to an open position with alittle cam that is on the bottom of the valve. When I get to work on it I will try to remember some pictures. Thanks. Roger.

• DougT and MH81 have said thanks

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 02:25 PM

I normally run, what they call here Recreational Fuel . . .

I use recreational fuel, too, but Southern Comfort is too good for my tractor.

As for a fuel shut off, try using a small pair of vise grips on the fuel line.

• hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks