• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 01:16 PM

He's smiling, but it's his mood that worries us.  But hoping coming home brings his mood back around.

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#122 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 02:06 PM

Now that the IV's are gone and depending on what medication he is on hopefully his appetite would start coming back plus good home cooking is far better then hospital food!  On one of my stays in the hospital I actually left a chocolate chip cookie on the tray!  Believe me if a chocolate chip cookie is any where near me it doesn't stay around long!!! :smilewink:   Does that tell you something about hospital food???  :rolling: 

I'm sure he will be much happier at home and his mood will improve and slowly things will return to normal or maybe a new normal.  He does look pretty good in the pic considering his age and what all he has gone through.  Thanks for the update, now get back to work! :poke:

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#123 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 05:06 PM

He's looking good

• olcowhand said thank you

#124 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hospital called, and they want me to wait till noon or later to pick Dad up.  The nurse will be very busy in the morning, so she needs me to wait till she has time to show me & Dad how to care for his urostomy port & changing the bags.  She was going to do it tonight, but Dad was tired, and she wanted to show someone else also as well anyway.

Sure hope he gets his appetite back SOON!

• KennyP, chris m, bgkid2966 and 1 other said thanks

#125 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Don't worry Daniel he'll get his appetite back soon, and his mood will continue to improve!

I know it was hard for me seeing my dad that way, so I am sure it's the same for you?

I remember for the first Month my dad was in a strange mood, almost like he was thinking he wasn't going to improve. He would tell me things like " just go ahead and mow that garden down" and then go on to say how he thinks he won't have any gardens next year.

But as of now, he is already planning the gardens for the spring lol. (And more than usual even!)

So the moral of my story is don't get discouraged! your dad will be back to his old self in no time! :D

And we'll keep the prayers going in the mean time.

• olcowhand, drbish and oldedeeres have said thanks

#126 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Yes Chris, it's hard, very hard to see Dad down.  Even before the surgery, he'd talk of how his working days are likely over.  Now he's worried how/if he can care for himself.  He will have some home health care, or at least a physical therapist come out.  My brother can stop in & spend 7am through noon with them, then I can whenever able.  There are others that can help as well.  Won't be easy for him or us, but we'll do it and be glad he's still with us.  Teresa will help with cooking & cleaning too.  Dad isn't a gardener, but I hope to hear him planning next year's corn crop real soon!  :thumbs:

• daytime dave, KennyP, sacsr and 6 others have said thanks

#127 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hang in there, Daniel. Family is a lot of work, but really, they're the only reason we do anything. Don't hesitate to ask for help, we'll do all we can! 

#128 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 04:36 PM

Well, Dad didn't come home.  Lots of confusion at first, but basically it's a case of everybody booked up.  No slots open for home physical therapy, and the hospital's physical therapy is overflowing.  So Dad will be moved to the Nursing Home nearest us for a few days to get the physical therapy there.  Then he will come home.  He more or less just started eating yesterday, so it's really better he has round the clock care & the PT to get his strength back up before coming home, which is what we were worried about.  Dad seems good with it.  His mood seems a little better, and he looks much better too.  We did get the training from the nurses about care for his stoma (urine port) and I haven;'t gotten to visit him since Sunday, so definitely not a wasted trip.  He'll be much better once he leaves the therapy for home.

• powerking56, MH81, IamSherwood and 6 others have said thanks

#129 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 04:43 PM

Are you sure it will only be for a few days?  I thought PT usually ran 4 -6 weeks.  Glad you got to spend some time with him, I'm sure he was just as happy to have you there.

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#130 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 06:00 PM

The nursing home may not be home but it's a step up from the hospital so hopefully his mood stays elevated, that'll help him as much as anything can help. Glad to hear he's still on the right track!
  • olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#131 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Are you sure it will only be for a few days?  I thought PT usually ran 4 -6 weeks.  Glad you got to spend some time with him, I'm sure he was just as happy to have you there.

They actually didn't say, but I'm sure it will be at least a week.  But of course it all depends on his progress.  Eating more will his best way to build up strength at this point.

#132 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 06:52 PM

That's good news Daniel and it's closer to you is a bonus. Please let him know we are still thinking about him.

#133 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,228 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 08:22 PM

He has to be very bored! Used to.being up and at em every day.

He looks very good though

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 13, 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#134 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:57 PM

Daniel, sorry to hear Dad isn't home yet, but at least he will be closer and not in an actual hospital.
Hopefully he's back home as soon as possible, but until he's ready, at least he has full time help and Mom doesn't have to worry 24/7.

#135 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 08:44 AM

Well now.....lets switch things up yet again!!!  Dad just called.  Dad's urologist/surgeon, Dr Iqbal just came in & had NO idea why the orders were written up for PT at Sunrise....another Dr did that.  Iqbal said Dad is much better off at home.  Dad WILL be coming HOME today!  It'll be a little later on in the day, but I'll be picking him up.  I gotta pick him up some bananas first, plus Marty (one of my 2 brothers) brought him a chocolate milk this morning & it hit the spot, so I'll get him a gallon of that also.  He WILL get home health care, but he's not sure if it's just physical therapy, or the whole care/help thing.  We should find out more today on that.  

Talk about a lot of confusion/mis-communication!  

• KennyP, HDWildBill, bgkid2966 and 4 others have said thanks