UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 03:19 PM

There is a gas station nearby that has a grill that makes incredible burgers. They have awesome fried mushrooms too.

#347 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 05:56 AM

Woke up early (3:30am) Brought in one of my wife's Christmas gifts I had restored (roller coffee cabinet), repaired the toilet seat, now watching US farm report and reading GTT posts, Now I'm hungry for burgers instead of breakfast!

#348 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 07:44 AM

Glad Dad is feeling better. Sorry about sis not feeling as good as the day before.

When I want something that actually tastes like a hamburger, I go to my local greasy burger joint. If it's past their hours, then it's Hardees or Burger King.

We got a Five Guys a couple of years ago. Ruins you for any other place IMO. More $, but worth it if you want a good burger.
image.jpg
  • olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#349 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 09:04 AM

My brother Marty & his wife are taking Mom & Dad out to dinner today.  I called Mom several times in a row last night & no answer.  A few minutes before she called & said she was going to get something from their car...she had locked herself out of her house!  Good thing it was warm.  She was sitting in the car knowing I'd come check on her.  

Today is do as little as possible day.  My back is killing me again, so just going to my in-law's for Christmas dinner & that's it.  I am off milking duties, so it's gonna be nice not playing "beat the clock".  

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#350 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 10:16 AM

When my BIL took Dad back to Sunrise rehab yesterday, Dad told him he was worn out & doubted he'd come home for Christmas, as Mom was not supportive.  In other words, she nagged at him the whole time.  When I took Dad home, she was nit picking at Dad as soon as he got home.  Mom is the biggest problem with Dad's recovery.  The rehab center wants Dad to have 2 more weeks of rehab, so he will likely stay there the entire time, except for times to get away for meals or whatever.  When I get the chance to get Dad out for a while, Mom will not be included.  May sound rough, but Dad needs positive reinforcement, and she only offers the negative.  My oldest sister & I were just talking on the phone, and we're both worried once he is discharged to go home for good, he'll not last long.  We have a meeting at Sunrise on the 26th about his care, so we have to let them know how Mom is treating him.  There is NO changing mom at this stage of the game, and she'll likely only get worse.

Hard to be upbeat about this Christmas season.

• Craig., KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#351 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 10:22 AM

As harsh as it sounds, I think you may be right! Need to get him out of there Christmas day though!

• olcowhand and HDWildBill have said thanks

#352 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 10:47 AM

As harsh as it sounds, I think you may be right! Need to get him out of there Christmas day though!

I have to work as usual, so hoping one of my Family will take him out for a while.  If not, I'll do something.

• Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#353 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 11:05 AM

If at all possible, you need to spend some time with him that day! Even if it's a short period!

• olcowhand said thank you

#354 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 12:15 PM

tough situation for sure.  Just an idea but could he go over and spend some time with Case?

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#355 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Spoke with dad today, unfortunately he has a head cold.  Gave him the good news that we got settlement pay from our coop from funds we should have gotten over the past 10 years.  The coop and Dean Foods both had a class action suit against them & lost.  Enough for us to relax just a bit as we have about 1/2 what it takes to put out this year's crop.  Dad was sure glad to hear it, and it seemed to perk his spirits a bit.  :thumbs:

Sad part is, Dad has a terrible short term memory that doesn't seem to be improving.  I am afraid his active working days are over, and may not even be able to drive if things don't improve an awfully lot.  He still thinks he's gonna be able to drive soon as he gets out, but I don't think it's safe.  I will be speaking to his doctors about this.  I'm wanting the doctors to give "no driving orders" so he won't get upset with me.

During our phone conversation about Christmas day, he spoke in circles, giving me 3 different versions of what he wanted to do, just a few minutes apart.  :(   Sure saddens me.

• Craig., KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#356 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 01:19 AM

Daniel just try to take it one day at a time. Try and keep your expectations low so your not disappointed. We went through this with both of the wife's parents and had the mother in-law live with us for a while. Your probably right about the driving but you may find that he is just happy to be back at the farm puttering around and visiting with you. There will be good days and not so good. If at all possible on the good days include and encourage him and it will do a world of good for both of you. 

Best of luck,

• olcowhand, Craig., HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#357 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,484 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 07:25 AM

Sad part is, Dad has a terrible short term memory that doesn't seem to be improving.  I am afraid his active working days are over, and may not even be able to drive if things don't improve an awfully lot.  He still thinks he's gonna be able to drive soon as he gets out, but I don't think it's safe.  I will be speaking to his doctors about this.  I'm wanting the doctors to give "no driving orders" so he won't get upset with me.

During our phone conversation about Christmas day, he spoke in circles, giving me 3 different versions of what he wanted to do, just a few minutes apart.  :(   Sure saddens me.

Daniel, feel your pain. We dealt with that with my dad. Now I see mom starting it too, she can't remember the current conversations sometimes. I think me tearing up her house has her all stressed and confused.

Hopefully he will get well enough to come home and maybe improve once he gets in home surroundings.

Edited by TAHOE, December 24, 2013 - 07:26 AM.

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#358 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 07:52 AM

As u no my mother-in-law was experiencing the same systems, and we were really concerned. But time in rehab and now home on her own 1 week now, she seems to be doing great. Her memory doing much better. So I'm hoping and praying all will be the same for grandpa. I do agree a couple weeks extra in rehab would be better then grandma (sorry to say) would be great. But I pray once he's home for good all will be good.
  • olcowhand, KennyP, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#359 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:52 AM

Been done milking 2 hours now & just now getting to eat breakfast at 10:30.  On the phone with Dad, then his nurse station, and speaking with one of my sisters.  And I still have to keep this dairy going.  Drives me crazy!   Dad changes his stories of what he wants with the wind.  He's chomping at the bit to come home today, yet just yesterday he said 3 different versions.  I spoke to my niece who works at Sunrise, and she hasn't been able to catch the doctor either.  No way he'll come home before Friday, as Mom has an appointment to go talk to them 9:30 that morning.  I tried to tell dad that, but not sure if it stuck or not.  My sister Elaine WILL be picking him up in the morning for Christmas day at home, so that made Dad feel some better.   I just hope Dad doesn't start getting hard to deal with.  So far he's been understanding of his circumstances, but he seems to be getting a little testy.  Can't say as I blame him, as none of us know a whole lot at this point.

• powerking56, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#360 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 11:22 AM

I can see his being testy. I would have been 5 minutes after I got there! Hope all goes smoothly for you folks through the holidays!

• olcowhand, Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks