661 replies to this topic

#226 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,226 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 09:19 PM

LOL....he's drank so much chocolate milk that he doesn't want to see anymore for quite a while!

Just a thought. I know it's tough finding a food that really appeals. We fought with my grand father up and down.
  • olcowhand, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#227 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Took Mom & Dad a big plate of Thanksgiving eats.  Dad ate decent, but still not much.  Mom devoured hers! He's doing pretty well, even though he doesn't feel he is.  He just needs constant encouragement to reinforce his resolve.  But Teresa & I were his only company ALL day.  Out of a family as large as this one that is shameful.  I know he doesn't need too much company either, but geez.  At least 2 of my sisters did call them to check on them.

• MH81, Sparky, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#228 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Glad you went and spent time with them, I know your Dad appreciates all you 2 do for them.

• olcowhand and JRJ have said thanks

#229 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 09:28 PM

Daniel, I know what you mean. I have 2 BIL's. one is a good person. Genuine and caring. He always calls his Mom and Dad and siblings on the important days. Even tho he's in Austin, he stays in touch... The other is an Ahole. He doesn't call but maybe once a year to wish his Mom a Merry Christmas... Maybe.

You can't change their behavior, just be the best son you can & the rest is their deal.
  • olcowhand, HDWildBill, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#230 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Got Mom & Dad the chicken salad from McDonalds for lunch today. Dad's been talking about how he loved the Southwest dressing. Got dad the Southwest salad, and Mom the Ranch. He was eating it pretty good when I left to get some work done.

His nurse was there when I stopped in before going to town for their lunch & said he's making just a little progress, which I knew. He's still dehydrated, and I've tried everything I can think of for him to drink. He liked the McDonald's sweet tea I also brought him today. He had just finished drinking a full glass of water just before I brought lunch. His recent memory is very poor and he doesn't trust his own thinking, but I'm figuring that's got some to do with being dehydrated. After all, they say in the desert when one is thirsting to death, the mind starts playing tricks on you. So likely it's causing some of his short term memory problem.

• powerking56, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#231 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,643 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 08:33 AM

Better watch out! You'll have him addicted to that Sweet tea like Brian is! I think he knows where every McDonalds is headed your way! :bigrofl:

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#232 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:58 PM

Didn't go out to Dad's today, but just talked to Mom on the phone.  Dad didn't eat much at all today, and she can't get him to walk much at all.  He did drink a bottle of Ensure protein drink tonight.  If he doesn't turn the bend soon & start getting better, I fear he's gonna go downhill fast.  I don't know what to do at this point.  

• HowardsMF155, sacsr, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#233 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Daniel, I surely hope your Dad can kick this thing and come on around to where he should be.  Just keep pushing him to do what he needs to do to get better.  

I know when my Mom had cancer at one point her chest cavity would start filling with fluid and she couldn't breathe properly, her lungs wouldn't inflate.  I asked her where her oxygen bottle was and she replied "Oh, I won't need one unless I get worse."  I looked at her, looked around the room and said, "Mom, you're nearly an hour from the hospital, and you have a hard time talking on the phone cause you can't catch your breath.  How much worse do you think it can get?"  It made an impression on her and she went ahead and got the bottle, though I don't think she ever used it.  

Sometimes you just have to keep pushing loved ones to take better care of themselves. 

• olcowhand, sacsr, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#234 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 07:59 PM

That's got to be tough to deal with. I'm having enough trouble getting Denise through bronchitis, and one of the dogs through getting hit on the road. We'll keep praying for your Dad AND you!

• olcowhand, sacsr, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#235 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hope he turns the corner soon. I am sure he is tired.

• olcowhand said thank you

#236 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'm so sorry Dan for not seeing this about your Dad. I have caught up with it now it was like reading a very sad to neutral then a happy ending type story. It was so funny reading the parts about your Dad's personality. I know very well how tough it is taking care of our folks when we have very little help. My in-laws have been very ill for a long time so bad we had to relocate to the city from the country to take care of them. Those pill boxes can be aggravating & very dangerous if not watched. My FIL was taking 32 pills a day for about a year after a heart attack & some complications. My MIL was dehydrating bad & wouldn't eat or drink. My wife got her those Ensure drinks like you mentioned & you could almost see the improvements. Like so many have mentioned make sure you take of yourself as well as you can. I'll be praying as many others for your Dad's complete recovery & strength for you & your family as well. God Bless.

• olcowhand, MH81, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#237 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 11:42 AM

Soon as I ate breakfast, I went out to see Dad.  He was laying in bed, but after we talked about 15 minutes, he seemed to perk up.  He got up (fairly easily) and walked to the living room.  His mind seems a bit sharper today, and in a pretty good mood.  He spoke how he would love to be able to work, so I reinforced how it's mostly up to him that he recovers well enough to work again, no matter what all the other help in the world could do.  I took a few mini Milky Way snack size, and he liked them.  He ate a little oatmeal for breakfast, and 1/2 an Ensure.  Today he is better, so hoping he may be about to turn for the better.  Telling him what's been going on with the farm seemed to be what got his energy level back up.   :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, EricR and 2 others have said thanks

#238 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 12:02 PM

Remind him of how many guys are looking forward to talking with him again at the next plow day!

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#239 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 12:51 PM

Daniel, this may put some extra stress on you, but maybe you are going to have to go over there each day and light a fire under him until he does turn the corner.  Another thing that may help is to get him out of that house, maybe take him with you while you are working on a piece of equipment and just give him a chair to sit in.  Let him hand you the tools.  Make him feel needed.

• olcowhand, UncleWillie and oldedeeres have said thanks

#240 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 01:14 PM

I agree with Bill, you are going to have to go over there everyday and get him thinking about all the work he is missing out on, make him feel that he is still needed in the everyday operation of the farm. I hope he continues to improve.

• olcowhand, HDWildBill, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks