• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 09:58 PM

phone still ringing...might get to bed sometime!

#152 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 10:20 PM

Leave that darned phone ringer on mute and get some sleep. Gosh only knows you deserve it. 

Goodnight. 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#153 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 05:29 AM

Leave that darned phone ringer on mute and get some sleep. Gosh only knows you deserve it. 

Goodnight. 

Only got 2 hours sleep. Off to milk.

#154 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 05:59 AM

Just remember to take care of Dan too. Prayers sent for your dads recovery and for your family taking care of him. I know it is possible to run on little to no sleep while taking care of loved ones, but it is so easy to get burned out...

• oldedeeres and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#155 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 07:02 AM

Sorry to hear of the sleep issue! Hope the day goes rather smooth for you. Sneak a nap in there some where if possible!

#156 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 08:59 AM

Mentally I am fried already.  Gonna eat breakfast, then try to nap.

#157 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Mentally I am fried already.  Gonna eat breakfast, then try to nap.

Hope you get a little sleep, Dan. Family and livestock neither one respect your needs, so you have to take care of yourself.

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#158 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 09:08 AM

Right now I wish there wasn't an animal on the place!  But I'll get past my mood with some rest.

• oldedeeres and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#159 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 09:11 AM

I feel you on that. My donkey busted the fence last night, I get to rebuild it the right way this weekend.

• olcowhand said thank you

#160 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 09:45 AM

As I was walking (dragging myself) to the house following milking this morning, I saw teresa heading my way.  She hollered she needed some help....I knew it was a calf problem.  I shouted ____ NO!  Got down there & somehow 2 calves got their heads into the feeder headlocks, that were not set to lock.  When a calf puts their head in to eat, the lock bar is swung open at the top.  They put their head in at the top, then lower their head to eat, which swings the bar closed at the top.  Not sure how this even happened, but with the one's head down low, it locked both their heads, as the top of the bar can't swing open due to the lower head (neck) pushing the bar closed at the top.  This bar hinges at it's center.  The lower calf's jaw is all swollen, so been locked like this several hours.  I had no choice but to pry on the bar at the top to open it, which squeezed hard on the bottom calf's poor neck, but I got them out finally.  Bad day for them to figure out how to do the impossible!  OK....now I'm gonna get a nap.  :D

#161 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:00 AM

OK....now I'm gonna get a nap.   :D

Good luck!

#162 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Gee whiz, I'm getting in on this late.  Daniel, to a point, I know what you are going through.  My parents have always been strong and, seeing them for the first time to a point where they are basically helpless is a real reality shocker.  Nobody wants to see it but its the time where we need to step up and do for them like they so selflessly did for us all of our lives.  The way I look at it, we owe them no less than our best.  That said, we also need to take care of ourselves so we can be there for them.  This is a dark time for you, I get that, but I can't stress enough the fact that you need down time.  I don't know you but from what I read, you are a strong person, both physically and mentally.  You can handle this.  If you need rest, REST without the least bit of guilt.  It's your dad and you want to be there to do for him.  I'm going through that right now.  I am blessed in that my dad still lives on his own without help at the age of 89.  I do whatever I can for him as I am only 6 miles away.  It causes stress at times but who knows how much longer I'll have him.  You're going through a lot right now but I promise, some day when you look back on this, you'll be so glad you did for him the way you did.  God be with you my friend.  He'll give you strength and you'll be better for this in the end.  I'm glad he is home and resting.  I haven't been through the whole thread yet (a little crazy here too) and I don't know how old he is but, speaking as someone who lost his mother WAY too early, treasure every moment you have with him.  You won't regret it.  Sorry for getting so mushy but this subject kind of hits home hard with me.

• olcowhand, MH81, skyrydr2 and 1 other said thanks

#163 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Try to get some sleep man, you are no good to anyone if you are run down too. I know, easy for you to say right? :deadhorse:

I had a goat do that to me this spring. I use a steel bar horse hay feeder mounted to the wall. The slots are wider at the top than bottom. Somehow our young buck got his head inside the slots at top, then slid down and couldn't get out. Thankfully there just happend to be a 2x4 nailed to the wall right below so he was able to relieve pressure off his neck by standing on it, he would have suffocated otherwise.

Now he is a big boy with a big ole neck on him, probably could just rip it off the wall, haha.

• olcowhand, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#164 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Daniel, glad to hear that your Dad is finally home.  Like others have said, you need to TAKE time to get your rest.  Last year when my mother was in the hospital with lung cancer, she was very adamant about me being there anytime she woke up......day or night, so I spent a LOT of time at the hospital and wasnt getting the rest that I needed.  I finally had to tell her, "Mama, I am going home to rest, I will see you in the morning"  I was only 2 miles from the hospital and the nurses had my cell number in case something happened.  My nerves were SHOT and I finally took off from work so that I could get some rest.  We lost her last Dec 6th, and I was the one that made the final decision to take her off of life support, but I can say without a doubt, that I did everything that I could to make her last 6 weeks of life the best that they could be.  I have NO REGRETS but it was definitely hard on me both physically and mentally.  I had one brother that lives in Jacksonville Florida that would come up "to visit" but would spend all of his time at my house rather than at the hospital.  Some people are just like that......

I have been going through the same thing for the last month or so with Kimme as well. They admitted her Saturday night and I spent every night at the hospital with her sleeping on a fold out couch because she "didnt want to be alone".  I would have much rather been at home sleeping in my bed but my wife needed me there by her side! I would get up @ 2am, go to work until 11 and be back at the hospital by 11:15. I usually would walk in and talk to her for a few minutes and PASS OUT on the couch from exhaustion!

Do whatever you can to help your Mom and Dad out and let the others do their thing.  Mom and Dad will remember everything that you do for them!

Stay STRONG brother and if you ever need to talk, I am a phone call away!

• olcowhand, bgkid2966 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#165 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 02:59 PM

Been out doing farm chores, but just as I got near the house, I heard the phone ring.  Dad was calling to see where his billfold was.  I told him yesterday, but he'd forgotten.  He is feeling better today, not a lot, but better, and that's always good!  :thumbs:  Oh, and I got almost 3hrs of sleep today!   Feel much better!  

Robert, you've spent tons more time at hospital bedside than I have, so you must be tough!

• KennyP, bgkid2966 and oldedeeres have said thanks