• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 09:16 AM

I hope he is still getting the care & help when he gets home. Just hope the Dr. doesn't think the family will do it all! Glad he is coming home, though!

#137 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 09:27 AM

As large as our family is, we're not getting much help.  They visit him in the hospital, even a bit too much, as it tires him, but almost no help for Mom at all.  My one niece has been great helping Mom, but even with shoutouts on facebook to our family members, almost nobody even responds, and they are online all the time.  Shame on them!   Not like it used to be back in the old days!  Basically it's been Teresa, my niece, myself, and my oldest sister Wanda, and myself.  Now the ones like Craig (Baumbaum) that live a long way out, of course they can't come down just anytime, so no problem there. Craig would help if he were able to, that I know!  Most people like a "convenient" world, and helping elders doesn't fit in for them.  Oh well, that's ok....we'll take care of things.   

• KennyP, HDWildBill, bgkid2966 and 2 others have said thanks

#138 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Sucks to hear no one is helping, but most families can be like that.

Good to hear he is coming home. My dad would be like that, all depressed in the hosptial not eating, but changed fairly quick once he was back home and eating some good home made meals. Give him whatever he wants, he needs the calories right now.

He might surpirse you, once home, he might be out in the shop with you in a few days :D

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#139 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 10:23 AM

I feel so bad that I didn't notice this before. oldcowhand I'm really glad that your dad is doing well.He had plenty of prayers on his behalgf and now I'll add mine. It's times like this that test us. We find out who is willing to go the extra mile to pitch in and help. As you stated, most folks like the convenient world.Your mom and dad are lucky to have those of you who do. Most people feel they've done their dut by visiting in the hospital and that makes them feel good.That's jsut the way it is nowadays.  Please don't let it bother you too much.Know that Teresa, your niece, your sister Wanda and you are the nucleus of the family  that make your mom and dad happy and comfortable.  God Bless

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#140 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Good news he is coming home!  We've been through that type of confusion as well.  Seems like the right foot doesn't know what the left is doing.  But in this case I think the out come it good.  He will enjoy having his things around him, he'll be back with Mama and have you and your family there.  I think he will do much better at home then going to a nursing home.

• olcowhand, WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#141 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 11:36 AM

Seems like every family has it's share of slackers. The last to help until the "Will" is read and the first there with their hands out and mouths full of "No Good". You just have to get on with what needs to be done. I'll bet your Dad thinks the world of you.  :thumbs:

• oldedeeres said thank you

#142 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 12:02 PM

Still not heard from him when he's ready to come home.  As far as help, I've always been one to never rely on anyone but myself (and Teresa of course).  So it doesn't get to me at all that few are helping.  My sister-in-law Dinah is staying with them Saturday night if needed to let my niece go to a friend's birthday party.  And of course Josh has to tend the farm when I'm gone, so he's a big help too.

• HDWildBill, bgkid2966, oldtimer and 2 others have said thanks

#143 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Now I say I try not to rely on other's help, but I had to add that I do rely on a lot of other friends....... YOU GUYS!  The moral support you guys give myself & others is far more important than you might realize.  Thanks!   :thumbs:

• HDWildBill, bgkid2966, EricR and 4 others have said thanks

#144 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 01:23 PM

Daniel, We see the same thing with both my wife and I family. We will travel 1200 miles to help out when one our parents are in need, but our local family only stops by to eat and say hi, then will leave for days on end again and they live right there. It always amazes me who some folks only think of themselves. One day they will receive what they have given, it's a two way street.

• HDWildBill, oldedeeres and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#145 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thats great!  Being home will do a lot for his recovery and attitude

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 14, 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#146 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Got Dad home finally!  He's doing ok, but worn down badly.  He can walk, but limited of course...as it should be at this point.  I'm getting the word out to family that Dad wants visits held to the short side, as many stayed a long time during hospital visits, keeping him from getting needed rest.  Got Dad back, then had to come home & feed silage in the dark.  Worked 2 hours before sunup, then an hour after sundown.  Lots of walking in between, then waiting.....I'd rather be working hard!   But for Dad...anything!

He didn't eat well today, but chocolate milk still appeals.  Gotta go back out there in a  few minutes, as the drug store will be delivering all new meds as ALL his prescriptions have changed, and I need to help Mom go over them, then remove ALL his old prescriptions from their house.  My niece is staying tonight & tomorrow night, then I'm cutting her loose.  We have Dinah for Saturday night.  I can stay Sunday night after I finish milking if nobody else feels the need to do the right thing.  My niece "Harley" has done plenty.  I think she's ready for a break.  I am too, but I am used to not getting too many breaks, and besides, one of these days I may be in Dad's shoes, so I do what needs to be done.  Dad would do the same for me.  Dad sure was glad to sit in his recliner.  And it's a special recliner he bought before his hip replacement a few years ago....a lift chair.  Makes it much safer/easier for him.

• powerking56, Gtractor, KennyP and 9 others have said thanks

#147 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Glad he is home! He'll get an appetite back.

#148 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Glad he is home safe and sound.  Good idea to get the old prescriptions out of there so no one get confused.  My wife helps an elderly lady of 92 with different things and one of them is she goes to the doctor with her.  Sherry says keeping her prescriptions straight is one of the hardest things because she get confused on what and when to take. She won't let her take the old ones so it makes it tough.  I hope he continues to recover and returns to his new normal soon.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#149 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 08:32 PM

The pharmacy guy was still there when I got there, and he was filling Dad's weekly daily pill box!  Great guy, and said he'd come by every Thursday to refill it for us!  

• KennyP, sacsr, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#150 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Man, if I'm not with Dad, I'm on the phone with family updating everyone.  I've spent more time with a phone to my ear this last week than all the year put together!   Been trying to get to bed for a while now.  So I've been talking on the phone while I scan GTT.  But my batteries are almost flat (my body batteries that is), so night ya'll!

• KennyP, HDWildBill, bgkid2966 and 2 others have said thanks