• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 01:55 AM

Hello there fella's, wanted to introduce myself on the Sears thread.  I'm a Ford/Jake guy, currently rebuilding an open sided LGT145, but came across this little beauty on Craigslist last night and couldn't pass it up, got it for $125.  She runs, but it's a little rusty, doesn't have a deck, and mostly needs some TLC, but the tin is straight, looks pretty complete and didn't smoke at all.  Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it for me, model # is 917 255910, serial # 1055 S08022.  Found the manual for it on here, thanks to whoever posted it, but anyone have any idea on about how old it is?  Accessories that were offered for it?  Anywhere I could get decals as most are worn/faded off for the controls?  Sure I'll be picking your brains in the future as I dive into it more. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0045.JPG
  • DSCF0046.JPG
  • DSCF0047.JPG

• Alc, boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 02:06 AM

Im not good with numbers but I think its around the late 80's. Most craftsman attachments will fit. 

#3 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 04:53 AM

That's the big brother to an lt I have that looks almost identical. My lt is a tough little bugger, it's been worked hard and just keeps right on going (only lt that's earned a spot in my garage lol) so I'm sure yours will only be better, congrats!
  • Alc and Firemang have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 07:31 AM

I think that may have been mid to late 80's.
As for attachments, the sleeve hitch system that they still sell, I think will bolt on and give you the ability to use any sleeve hitch attachment.

Front attachments are around, mainly snow and dozer blades.

It should make you a real workhorse.
  • Firemang and zip_up_99 have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 08:21 AM

Nice looking GT18! I may have some pics of those decals around somewhere, not sure right now. Haven't sourced them yet.

It's hard to see on the rear view, but it looks like you have part of the sleeve hitch (ie: rock shaft on rear). Does it have a spring assist? I can get you some dimensions/#'s for a sleeve hitch for it.

I have one of these and a GT20.

• Firemang said thank you

#6 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Good looking tractor.

I have a an LT-18 that my dad bought in '88 I think, looks just like that, but just for grass cutting, not much else. Yours is definitely built heavier.

#7 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 03:57 AM

Nice looking GT18! I may have some pics of those decals around somewhere, not sure right now. Haven't sourced them yet.

It's hard to see on the rear view, but it looks like you have part of the sleeve hitch (ie: rock shaft on rear). Does it have a spring assist? I can get you some dimensions/#'s for a sleeve hitch for it.

I have one of these and a GT20.

Kenny, 

I'm not sure if it has spring assist or not, since I'm not familiar at all with it.  It does look like there is a mechanism on the back though that's somehow connected to the deck lift, when I move it, the mechanism on the back end moves, and it does look like some thing was mounted there at one time, like a sleeve hitch.  Would appreciate dimensions and/or part numbers if you have it.  I saw the add on power lift that Johnny Bucket makes for these, nice setup, but nasty price.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 06:29 AM

I'll see what I can come up with today for you!

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Here's a sleeve hitch manual. It's not the right part #, but most of it is the same as mine. Only difference is the lift bar, #28 that I can see.

My sleeve hitch is a 917.252312.

#10 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 12:08 AM

Sears also offered a front end loader for that model. 91 or 92 was the last year before they went to vertical shaft engines ( other than the engine the tractors still didn't change much). The grey tractors ran up to the late 90's but when they went to vertical shaft engines they also changed the front ( grill and headlight area ) just a little,it slops a little at the top. If you know they difference it is a quick way to tell a vertical shaft tractor from a horizontal.

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 12:26 AM

Tough machines, hard to tear up. Easy to fix though, if you want to lol.

#12 zip_up_99 OFFLINE  

zip_up_99
  • Member No: 58739
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:38 AM

I'm having a problem finding/downloading the manual...can't find an actual link on this page and when I do a search...nothing shows up??? I have an old GT18 and lost the manual...now I have to do some work on her...one of the deck pulley's decided to abandon ship last time I used her, etc. Any link would be a great, Thanks

#13 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 09:46 AM

I'm having a problem finding/downloading the manual...can't find an actual link on this page and when I do a search...nothing shows up??? I have an old GT18 and lost the manual...now I have to do some work on her...one of the deck pulley's decided to abandon ship last time I used her, etc. Any link would be a great, Thanks

If they aren't on this site, here is another good one for manuals. It has both older Sears and Craftsman tractors up to the late 80's, but the deck manuals only go up to about 1981 or so.

http://www.searstractormanuals.com/

Edited by TAHOE, June 12, 2014 - 09:51 AM.