8 replies to this topic

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,503 Thanks
  • 5,269 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 06:33 PM

Has anybody ever tried or have any experience with studded tires on GTs for winter use?
I don't think they would work as good as 2 link tire chains but wondered if they were good enough to do the job. Some of my GTs turf tires have holes in them for studs.

#2 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 06:39 PM

Around here (NW Arkansas), they would come in very handy because it's not uncommon for it to rain, then freeze, then snow on top of the ice. The studded tires (along with some weight) would be very helpful.

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 621 Thanks
  • 1,213 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 07:05 PM

Cant see them gripping very well in snow.....Also, what if they started coming out and ended up on the daily drivers tires?

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 08:43 PM

I've never tried them on a tractor, but I've had studs on a couple of trucks. They work well on ice and hard-packed snow, but make little or no difference in unpacked snow or mud. It guess it would depend a lot on what your conditions are, but my thinking is that you'd be better off with chains. I never spent much time in southern Ontario in the winter, but my recollection is that it's mostly warm enough that you don't get much ice build-up.

I never had any trouble with studs coming out of the tires, even at highway speeds.

#5 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• Member No: 769
  • 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 01:35 AM

They would probobly be good in comination with some weight of course if you were in some pretty icy conditions but my self im so clumsy I try to stay away from ice as I tend to end up on my rear on the ice instead of walking on it or driving on it Lol

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 08:03 AM

To me.I would think they wouldn't be as good in snow as chains,but on ice,probably pretty good.

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 12:05 PM

I have to say chains seem to work over most all conditions. If you put studs on, please let us know how they work out. I would think as the others have said, they would be good for ice and very hard packed snow only.

#8 rkchainsaw OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1404
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 10:28 PM

All my luck I would spit a stud out and pick it up with my car or truck tire. The last snow storm was wet and heavy w/ice underneath. I had 50# on each tire and couldn't do a thing. I put on a rear home made box and added two 40# sutcase weights and id made an unbelievable difference. In Wisconsin weight and chains are the answer.

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 04:04 AM

Not very experianced, but first and formost you've gotta have weight on the drive axle. If your gonna be doing your work on a hard surface like pavement or concrete, then you will have ice and hardpack quite often, and the studs should do nice for you. if you have loose stuff underneath then your gonna want chains. I can tell you that when I'm in the gravel or yard with chains on the tractor I do well, but doing the sidewalk or the end of the drive that's paved chains suck. Luckily, the truck with studded tires will get stuck in the main part of the driveway but will bite in and go at the little paved right of way part at the end of the end of the drive.