• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 03:03 PM

Willie (MBWW) sent a PM asking if I could take some pics of the two side by side. He has someone who can't 'see' the differences between the two. After the wonderful writeup he gave me here, I thought I might oblige. But I wanted to share this info with all of you. So here goes!

Both these tractors are 1981-1983 models & at first glance they look alike. But, studying them a bit, you can see major differences.

Full Frontal Pic:

Image001.jpg

Image002.jpg

Image003.jpg

The frame is much heavier on the FF! I guesstimate the GTV at about 400 lbs. The FF20 is 875 lbs from the factory.

Nose-to-nose:

Image004.jpg

Buns anyone?:

Image005.jpg

One thing to consider here is that the GTV does have 26 X12 -12's on it and the fender pan has been raised 1" to give clearance for these tires.

The wheelbase for them:

GTV = 45"

FF20 = 48"

Track:

GTV = 29"

FF20 = 34.5"

Also, at the top of the grille (bottom of hood), the FF20 is 2" wider.

Here's a couple dash shots:

FF20

Image006.jpg

GTV/16

Image007.jpg

Willie, if more pics are needed, just let me know!

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse, Delmar and 3 others have said thanks

#2 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Thank KP. Those are great. Now go paint my tractor before I come steal it.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thank KP. Those are great. Now go paint my tractor before I come steal it.

:bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

Only in your dreams, Willie!

• jpswift1 said thank you

#4 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 12:49 AM

I wanted either a FF or GT if I could find one cheap.  A couple months ago I saw a complete, pristine front GT plow set up with every little part included for $25.  Needless to say I bought it.  So fast forward to today, I bought a GT18 with a rear sleeve hitch and rear wheel weights, and a need for some paint and TLC for $50.  I plan on putting 26" tires on the back like you did.  I have a set with 10.5" wide rims ready to go for it, and I'll mount some 18x8.50x8 turfs or ribs up front.  Thanks for helping to fuel my addiction with this thread! :)

• KennyP said thank you

#5 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 01:33 AM

Here's a picture of my GT/18.  It looks rough and someone did an awful spray bomb paint job on it, but I located a VERY nice set of panels for it that I'll be putting on.  I tried some 26x12x12 Goodyear Super Terra Grips on it for this picture and I'll be putting 18x8.50-8 turf tires up front.  You can also see some of the plow brackets that I tried on it too.......wow those are heavy duty I must say!  Some suitcase weights will be added on the sleeve hitch for when I plow.  Do you guys think it'll move snow alright? 

The previous owner used it to pull stuff around at his hunting camp and said when it would get hot it would start cutting out so he suspected a bad coil and then it just sat.  I pulled the blower housing off and it was PACKED, more than I've ever seen full of a mouse nest, made up mostly of fiberglass insulation.  I suspect this was the cause of the problem.

STP60405.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 04:05 AM

That's a survivor! Not sure if I have seen a GT18 from these years before!

#7 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 11:54 AM

That's a survivor! Not sure if I have seen a GT18 from these years before!

This machine has been a workhorse, but mechanically it looks to be pretty good.  I looked it up and this one is a 1984 model.  I too haven't seen very many of these years of GT18 out there.

#8 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 02:05 PM

I have seen a couple of GT18s. The GTV seemed to be a more popular option though. I may have a line on a GT18. All I need is money.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 04:22 PM

This machine has been a workhorse, but mechanically it looks to be pretty good.  I looked it up and this one is a 1984 model.  I too haven't seen very many of these years of GT18 out there.

The year is odd as they were only supposed to be built from 1981-83!

#10 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 04:39 PM

The year is odd as they were only supposed to be built from 1981-83!

Yes, this is odd.  And I'm very confused myself now.  I was told it was a 1984 but when I just called Sears Parts Direct they said this tractor was built August 6th, 1987.  Something isn't adding up.  I'm going to see if I can get the date code off the engine and solve this mystery.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 04:59 PM

No way on 1987! Bet it's a 1983!

• jpswift1 said thank you

#12 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 08:54 PM

Give us the model and serial numbers maybe someone here can identify it.

• KennyP and jpswift1 have said thanks

#13 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 07:53 PM

I highly doubt it is a 1987 model too. I will get the model and serial numbers for you guys tomorrow. Also I will be picking up a very nice clean craftsman ltv10 without a deck tomorrow for 65 bucks. I will be using all the body work off it for my gt18.
  • KennyP said thank you

#14 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 12:02 AM

Here's my Craftsman LTV/10 I picked up this weekend.  It runs great and the body work is very nice on it.....the headlights even work.  Someone swapped a different rear end in it and the deck was missing, but I really just bought it for the seat, the body panels, and a few other miscellaneous parts like the rubber clutch pedal pad that I'm missing on my GT.  I'm going to sell the engine which will almost pay for the entire cost of the tractor, so this little project is staying on the low cost side.  The body panels such as the grille, hood, and rear fender assembly are the exact same as the GT18, it looks like (with the exception of a hole for the fuel filler neck that will need to be cut out for the GT).  Here's a picture of it and my helper, who is also excited to see the panels will fit the GT.

Attached Thumbnails

• STP60419.JPG
  • STP60383.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#15 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 11:58 PM

My model number on the GT/18 is 917.253744. 

The Briggs 18HP I/C opposed twin had had some attention between all of my other projects.  The engine seemed to be stuck (one spark plug wasn't even in it, the other was in very loosely), but I got it freed up without too much effort.  I pulled the heads and gave the cylinders a light cleaning and they turned out pretty well.  There was one intake valve that was REALLY stuck..........BAD!  A few days with Marvel Mystery oil and some pounding with a 2x4 and hammer and now it's free.  This was the worst stuck valve I've ever had to deal with, I can't believe it's moving again.  Anyway, this tractor sat outside at the previous owner's hunting camp for almost a decade from what I was told.  I drained the oil and water came out immediately followed by some really bad oil.  I put some fresh oil in, and then hooked a battery to the starter and it turned right over.  Next on the agenda is to get some new plugs, head gaskets, air filter and then I'll put some fresh gas in it and turn it over and see if it fires. 

Edited by jpswift1, October 07, 2015 - 12:01 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears ff, sears gtv/16, sears ff20