• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 12:34 PM

Cool to see things are coming along nicely.

I'm like you, I manage to try to sneak an hour or two here and there to get in some GT time. Seems like there's not much to sneak in lately. Most people relax by going fishing or golfing or such.....I relax by working on my projects.

Same here! That and seeing what all you folks are up to!

#32 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 03:06 PM

Stole some time (an hour or so) to tinker.  Got a radiator lower mount cut, then machined to accept a rubber cushion mount.  The radiator has stubs, 2 on bottom, one on top, to sit in rubber bushings.  I had to cut down the bushings as they were too tall.  Luckily I found these rubber bushings in our stash of stuff.  The machining was needed to thin the welded plate where the bushings go to allow a proper fit.

DSC00048.JPG DSC00049.JPG

I still have to figure out how to build the upper mount so it's plenty strong (to prevent radiator from listing out of the lower mounts), and to look good.

DSC00050.JPG DSC00051.JPG

Yesterday I took the steering column out to see what it needed, as it was sloppy.  Needs new sector shaft bushings which I ordered off ebay. The rest of it seemed to be in good shape.  The bolts securing the column to the frame were 1/8" from being snug, and then someone had ran a bead of weld between the bolt head & the frame!  :(  Figure that one out!  Threads were all fine. LOL

Believe it or not, the origonal leather sector shaft seal is still great.  Tight fit to shaft & supple.

DSC00046.JPG DSC00047.JPG

• IamSherwood, KennyP, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#33 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 03:15 PM

Looks good. I see a threaded stub on the top near center of the grille. Can that be used for the top mount?

#34 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Oh, and I have pretty much decided to stay with my stock "pusher" fan blade as Kenny suggested.  It will require a lot more work, as I'll have to build an aluminum fan shroud to force the air through, and I'll have to build a slide-out screen assembly that pulls out the side to clean.   Doing it this way though will direct the heat out the front, which will keep some of the heat from ever reaching me.  I know Hogzilla sure kept me too warm at plow day with it's fan pulling.  I decided against the electric fan because it just wouldn't "fit" with the overall look of this old tractor.

• KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#35 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 03:23 PM

Looks good. I see a threaded stub on the top near center of the grille. Can that be used for the top mount?

That is for the grill retainer, and not strong enough to make the mount rigid enough.  I think I'll just use 1 1/2" strap bolted where the grill uprights bolt to the top center of the grill.  Bend to come near the center radiator mount, then weld a flat plate to these to fit to the rubber mount.  The mount bosses coming off the radiator are hollow, so I may be able to thread them to screw in stubby bolts with large washers to be sure the radiator mounts can't flex enough when hitting a hard bump to cause the radiator to pop out of the mount rubbers.

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#36 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 03:45 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me, Daniel. I couldn't see to much else there to hook to. Like the plan for the fan too. That will pull some of the heat away during the warmer months.

#37 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Does the HD12 use the same style grill supports to hold the original gas tank and battery box? If so, won't those help stiffen the grill to hold the Rad. in place if you made a mount of the grill?

#38 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 04:28 PM

Oh, and I have pretty much decided to stay with my stock "pusher" fan blade as Kenny suggested.  It will require a lot more work, as I'll have to build an aluminum fan shroud to force the air through, and I'll have to build a slide-out screen assembly that pulls out the side to clean.   Doing it this way though will direct the heat out the front, which will keep some of the heat from ever reaching me.

But, I'll be using it mostly in the winter up here, so I think it should be done the other

way Daniel. :smilewink:

• olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#39 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Does the HD12 use the same style grill supports to hold the original gas tank and battery box? If so, won't those help stiffen the grill to hold the Rad. in place if you made a mount of the grill?

Yes, the grill is supported by the rails from the dash tower, so the grill will be quite rigid.  I built the top support just before I fed silage tonight.  Gonna look pretty decent.  Didn't have the camera down there & I am cold, so not going back till another day for more pics.  :smilewink:   One thing I hate is how my welds look cruddy these days.  Not being used to my bifocals, I have lots of trouble seeing clearly, especially when it's cold & things tend to fog.  The worst fog is the foggy brain I have anymore.   But my welds will hold, so I'll just take a step back for the pics.  :thumbs:   No tap will fit the hole in the radiator mount stubs, but I have some expanding rivet nuts that will work in them.  May see if they will hold a retaining screw with washer.

#40 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 06:06 PM

But, I'll be using it mostly in the winter up here, so I think it should be done the other

way Daniel. :smilewink:

I'd tell you to come get it, but I'm afraid you might just do it!  :D   I wanna meet you face to face....but not bad enough to give up my HD!   :smilewink:

• IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks

#41 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 06:41 PM

:bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

Now I know how my wife feels. Being trumped by a tractor. :poke:  :bigrofl:

• olcowhand, KennyP and trowel have said thanks

#42 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:40 PM

:D   I wanna meet you face to face....but not bad enough to give up my HD!   :smilewink:

That's hurtful, right there.

• IamSherwood and Trav1s have said thanks

#43 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'd tell you to come get it, but I'm afraid you might just do it!  :D   I wanna meet you face to face....but not bad enough to give up my HD!   :smilewink:

That's hurtful, right there.

Hey, I'd let him use it a week or so, but then I'd not get it back!  But I might just swap it to ELF!   :thumbs:

• IamSherwood said thank you

#44 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:53 PM

But I might just swap it to ELF!   :thumbs:

:(

They'll be using the Elf to drag me, in the pine box, over to the cliff's edge.

It won't be leaving home.

Edited by IamSherwood, November 12, 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#45 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:55 PM

One thing I hate is how my welds look cruddy these days.  Not being used to my bifocals, I have lots of trouble seeing clearly, especially when it's cold & things tend to fog.  The worst fog is the foggy brain I have anymore.

You need a cheater lens for your welding hood.