• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 08:58 PM

What are those hoses? 3/8" hydraulic 1 wire with NPT?

They came off an Allis 720 3pt lift cylinder.  I am not good with fitting sizes, but it's 3/8 line with female swivel JIC fittings on both ends.  Smaller fittings on the engine end of things.

#182 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 01:43 AM

Yes, the grill is supported by the rails from the dash tower, so the grill will be quite rigid.  I built the top support just before I fed silage tonight.  Gonna look pretty decent.  Didn't have the camera down there & I am cold, so not going back till another day for more pics.  :smilewink:   One thing I hate is how my welds look cruddy these days.  Not being used to my bifocals, I have lots of trouble seeing clearly, especially when it's cold & things tend to fog.  The worst fog is the foggy brain I have anymore.   But my welds will hold, so I'll just take a step back for the pics.  :thumbs:   No tap will fit the hole in the radiator mount stubs, but I have some expanding rivet nuts that will work in them.  May see if they will hold a retaining screw with washer.

"...One thing I hate is how my welds look cruddy these days.  Not being used to my bifocals, I have lots of trouble seeing clearly..."

LOL I have the same problem with my bifocals... I've actually thought of seeing if I can get a prescription lens for my welding hood!! 

I found you're never looking straight on at something when you weld it, so with bi-focals, one eye is looking through the distance portion and one through the closeup portion!!!  Gives me a headache just thinking about it!!!

One thing that has helped is that I have two pairs of glasses--both are bifocals and allow reading through the lower part of the lens, but one pair is set up for moderate distance--primarily for a computer monitor which typically for me is about 18" away.  The other pair are Transition lenses, and are set up for long distance viewing--used primarily when driving.

It requires me to carry an extra set of glasses, but it's better than tri-focals!!

STeve

#183 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 01:47 AM

My work ethics have sucked lately.  Just not felt up to much of a challenge.  What I'm doing now is just medicinal for my mental state....and it does help!

Gonna call it a night....later guys!

The successful hunter doesn't always leave his bow strung... it's good to be able to unstring your bow, Daniel.  That's why the good Lord gave us a Sabbath to rest, though I wonder if He knows what it's like to run a dairy, LOL!!

Smitty

#184 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 12:27 PM

Got the shop heater going & doing some tinkering on the HD-12.  I am doing wiring and also some to the exhaust system.  But I am still worn down, so progress is slow. 

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#185 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 02:00 PM

Take it easy today, Daniel! It's not Plow Day for some time now!

• olcowhand said thank you

#186 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Well, I got the remote oil filter mounted inside the frame, right where I wanted to in the first place, but I had to remove the original steel bracket for it to fit.  Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier!  :wallbanging:   Has to sit a a 45 degree angle, but that's fine.  No key switch yet, as I forgot to tell Teresa to pick me one up at TSC when she picked up the loader's engine heater, but I just clipped all connections to the proper places and fired her up.  All works perfectly, ammeter showing charge or discharge, fan cycling, electric kill solenoid back on & working.  I will say, today was busy work, as I just couldn't find fun in it today.  Just too tired.  I guess I should have just napped all day.  But progress made, and I'm happy about that.

Oh, gotta find a small overflow bottle, as just before the fan kicks on, the radiator cap spits a few drops of coolant.  Needs one regardless.  And the rear exhaust is mounted!

• Texas Deere and Horse, wvbuzzmaster, IamSherwood and 7 others have said thanks

#187 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Glad you made some progress and all systems are go!

#188 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 03:27 PM

When Brian & Josh were here, Brian noticed some run-out on my drive shaft.  Once he pointed it out, it was easy to see.  Looking at it just a little, it appears the shaft must bent.  Looks like I'll be pulling it to be sure what's up.  I can put stubs into each universal end so I can chuck into my lathe to really see what's up with it.  It's causing some vibes I can live without.

• Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#189 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 03:52 PM

Glad you got some shop time, and accomplished a few things. I was reading through

"The Ugly" thread. You've had a rough few days there. Don't push yourself to

hard.

#190 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Good to hear you got some shop time and also that you decided to pull the driveline and see what's going on there, I was worried about it myself.

• olcowhand and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#191 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, there was enough runout to actually SEE it, that would have been a seat massage, even if it didn't cause any damage!

• olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#192 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Got a used switch installed this morning, and now all works perfectly.  Just need to install a momentary switch for the glow plugs, then new wires strung for head & tail lights and all the wiring will be complete.  I also pulled the drive shaft to find why there is wobble.  This shaft was off a JBI and was the perfect length, so I never had the shaft out of the yokes.  Turns out one end had been run loose at some point & had the shaft worn lop-sided.  I had 1/2 a 3/4" shaft that already had the right woodruff keyway in it, so I cut off the worn end & welded the parts together with 7018 rod.  I went to town afterwards & picked up a 1" OD x 3/4" ID collar to slide over the weld.  First I will drill holes around each end of the collar so once slipped into place I can spot weld the collar for reinforcement of the shaft weld.  Should cure it.  Once I welded the shaft, I placed it in the lathe & she is true.  Was going to go back down to finish the shaft this evening, but I visited Mom at home, and Dad at rehab.  By the time I got home, I decided to call it a day.  

• Texas Deere and Horse, wvbuzzmaster, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#193 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 04:12 PM

No work to the HD today either.  Heart palpitations woke me in the middle of the night, so I napped for a bit around noon between chores.  The HD isn't going anywhere (drive shaft is out :smilewink: ), so it'll be there when I feel up to it.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#194 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Daniel hope you can get those heart palpitations corrected soon! We all need to take done time to rest now and then. What you have had on your plate recently, you were long over due for some down time.

#195 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 07:48 PM

On a farm, there is never truly any time away from problems, one just has to ignore things as best as ya can, when ya can.  Hard to do.

• SupplySergeant said thank you