4 replies to this topic

#1 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • Member No: 49116
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Question 1:

I just bought a ST/16 last week and was zipping around my garden using the cultivator for the first time. It was working great and then all of a sudden the electric hitch wouldn't do anything and it was stuck in the down position. It doesn't seem like there is any compression there because I can move the attachment up and down easy with my hand. 

What is a typical cause for something like this. Would a blown fuse/relay do something like this or is it the actuator? Any way to test to see what is wrong. 

It may have been my fault, I didn't know if I should be lifting it up while moving or if I should be turning with it down. 

Question 2:

Where should I start on fixing my emergency brake that doesn't work? I rolled backwards down a hill into a fence yesterday, it was super funny and wish I had a video -- but in the end I need to fix it!

Thanks in advance. I forgot to get pics and will post soon.

• boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:52 AM

On the elctric actuator, there maybe an in line fuse, but I don't think mine had any. I just have a hot wire going to switch, then wires going out of switch to the back plug. If you are able to move the rod up and down in the actuator, then something has broke inside, I think it's a gear and screw system, but I've never had one apart.

Parking brake....does your regular brakes work okay? If so, then your the p-brake need adjusted. They have a separate adjustment collar up under tractor. if you regular brakes don't work well, then they either need adjustment or lining replaced.

I think we have the ST/16 manuals in the manuals section here on the site, you can download 3 a day I think.

Or you can go to http://searstractormanuals.com/  go down left side to Sears tractors, then pick any of hte ST/16 models, they all are the same. I know the adjustment is there, but my brake lining is shot so I barely have any brakes at all, let alone a p-brake.

• Alc, CRFarnsworth and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#3 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 11:00 AM

HA! I didn't know it had brakes :) So nope, brakes don't work at all. Guess I will start there :)

As for the hitch, that is good to know that I am not supposed to be able to move it up and down by hand, gives me a starting point.

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:24 PM

I have an electric actuator from something else I was going to mod a 3pt with, you can't just pull it in/out so not sure about yours, but sounds like something broke inside. The are bad for getting moisture inside and rusting up if left outside much.

You can do a visual check on the brakes although you almost need to be a contortionist to get up under there. The brakes should engage once you push the clutch to disengage belt, a little farther on the pedal and you have brakes. I have to stand on mine practically, but I know my brake lining is gone and it's just metal to metal back there. I can see mine coming out,. you maybe able to do the same. You may get lucky and everytihng is onthe brake rod just needs adjusted, but I bet it's all wore out.

I'm hoping to do a write up in the next month or so on replacing the brake "pad" as mine has to be done before I start pushing snow. Bad part is, the whole rearend has to come out to access brake band to remove.

Adjustments are basically turning two nuts on a threaded rod, but have to be carefull, too much and it screws up clutch setting.

You can kind of see the brake band in these pics, I had to pull rearend in another tractor. Good time to drain and fill rearend too with new oil as it's a royal pain to do it in the tractor.

photobucket-23989-1369356173122_zpse9e2c

471_zps7a207487.jpg

• Jcwilde1 said thank you

#5 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 06:03 PM

The rod is all worn out, couldn't adjust it. I don't have time to fix it this winter unfortunately so I guess I will be without brakes this winter.

As for the 3-point attachment in the back. I got it working. There was some spliced wires along the way that became disconnected. I fixed the headlights along the way so it all works good now!

• TAHOE said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electric hitch, sears hitch, sears 3-point