#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:00 AM

Hey, everybody!

I've been busy, so I've been away.  Good to be back though.  Wish I could say for how long.

Let's start with my garden.  Started out well, but I must have gotten some bad manure because the weeds were insane this year.  I crawled through there 3 times on my arthritic old knees pulling weeds. I quit counting at 276 5 gallon buckets.  By the end of the year it looked like I hadn't pulled a weed all year.

We got a decent crop considering though.  The radishes, carrots, and beets did really well.  One small seed package of beets yielded 215 pound of beets. We ate a lot of borscht, made a lot of beet pickles, gave a lot to friends and relatives, and still had 75 pounds for the food bank.  The carrots yielded two large wheelbarrows full.  I didn't weigh those, but I'd guess around 80 pounds.  The radishes were planted mostly to bind nitrogen, so they mostly got left until they were too woody to eat, but they were huge and got huge really fast.

We also redid the bathroom.  That was one of those adventures you get in old houses...rotted studs, bad floor, bad pipes, and questionable electrical.  Everything cost more than it should have and took longer than it should have.  It's done now though.

I also had both of my dogs die.  The first, Max, got pancreatic cancer. The second (Sequoia) had her stomach flip and the vet couldn't do anything because she already had a heart condition.  They were both fairly young, and both excellent dogs, so it was a bit of a shock.  

We've got new dogs now...Dylan is a Great Pyrennes (sp?) cross we got from a rescue when Max got sick.  Eddy is some sort of white lab-ish thing we found while we were camping.  Neither is old enough to be a good dog yet, and Eddy is still eating shoes and gloves.  They are both friendly though, and if they ever learn not to wander off they will make excellent dogs.

Anyway, just as we were starting to harvest the garden, my wife got fed up enough with her job that she finally quit.  I think that was at least two years overdue.  What started out as a reasonably good workplace 11 years ago had passed through stressful and well into abusive and I was glad to see her out of there.  It leaves us without that second paycheque though, and things were already a little tight.  She's looking for other work, but hasn't had much luck yet.

Anyway, I was already picking up side work where I could, so now I'm filling every minute I can with paid work.  Monday mornings I'm often more tired than I was Friday afternoon, driving truck being less physically demanding than carpentry, yard clean-ups, and landscaping.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. 

• powerking56, MH81, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:05 AM

Nice to see you back.

Sure sounds like you've had an eventful time.

• oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:24 AM

Eventful is one way of putting it, Sherwood.  I'm just hoping my wife finds work before Christmas. I'd hate to give everybody a jar of beet pickles for their gift.

• oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:34 AM

Good to see you back!

• Reverend Blair and JRJ have said thanks

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:43 AM

Glad to see you online, been wondering.

Regarding the Wifes work, Sorry and glad both. I know just how you guys feel.
  • Reverend Blair, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#6 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:12 AM

I know things will work out. I will be praying for the both of you.

• Reverend Blair and JRJ have said thanks

#7 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:47 AM

Wow sounds like you have been busy.

With the Great Pyrenees don't expect to ever break him of wandering. IT is in their breeding. He does need a hobby though. He needs something to protect. As dumb as it sounds if he doesn't have a job to do he will get in trouble. Ours watches the chickens. Hes momma was a full blooded Pyr that we couldn't keep within 20 miles of the house so we gave her to a sheep farm in Winston Salem. She now happily lounges near the sheep. They are great dogs.

Hopefully you wife finds a job soon. I seem to remember her having an interest in blacksmithing........

• Reverend Blair and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the update, sounds like an eventful summer, hope things turn around for you both real soon.

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Sounds like a busy life for you, know all too well about being exhausted on Monday morning after working hard all weekend.

Sorry to hear about the pups, we lost 2 of ours within 3 months last year, it was a rough one.

Our goat breeder has a GP, big ole white thing, it's stays in with the goats. She has to keep an electric fence on though or it will be running as MBWW stated

We have a 9month old Boxer, pretty much anything she gets her lips on she chews, starting to get aggravating :thumbs:

#10 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Glad you're back--- I've missed your posts but just figured you were busy. We also lost a dog to pancreas trouble, and six months later the other girl died of lung cancer--- go figure. I've forgotten who it was who said "never give your heart to a dog to tear", but we keep on doing it anyway. They give us so much in return for the pain of losing them.
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#11 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 06:32 AM

Sorry to hear about your dogs , your garden sounds like most of us as far as weeds this year , maybe your wife will get at least a seasonal job for Christmas if noting more perment come by .

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 06:36 AM

Wow sounds like you have been busy.

With the Great Pyrenees don't expect to ever break him of wandering. IT is in their breeding. He does need a hobby though. He needs something to protect. As dumb as it sounds if he doesn't have a job to do he will get in trouble. Ours watches the chickens. Hes momma was a full blooded Pyr that we couldn't keep within 20 miles of the house so we gave her to a sheep farm in Winston Salem. She now happily lounges near the sheep. They are great dogs.

Hopefully you wife finds a job soon. I seem to remember her having an interest in blacksmithing........

His hobby is looking after Eddy, so they wander together. Sometimes he watches out for the cats.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 11:57 AM

Glad to see you're back.  It does sound like you have had quite the summer.  The garden was a big success so that should help keep the pantry full for the winter.  Nothing wrong with Pickled beets, better then some presents and a whole lot more meaningful.