• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ks65609 OFFLINE  

ks65609
  • Member No: 49253
  • 16 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 10:16 PM

I have been searching this web site, which I consider to be the best I have found for information and pictures, however I have not been successful gaining a great deal of information regarding and MTD eight hundred 8 hp tractor I am thinking of purchasing. The unit has no engine, however I am restoring an older Briggs horizontal shaft unit to install.

However I need to find the wheel base dimensions of this particular tractor, in particular the outside track width of the rear tires.

I would very much appreciate some direction as to a link I may investigate or any other information you may be willing to share. I have spent many hours searching.

Thanks very much

Ken from Canada

• MFDAC, A.C.T. and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 10:33 PM

untitled welcome.png

Cant answer that but wanted to welcome you. Someone will be along shortly.

#3 ks65609 OFFLINE  

ks65609
  • 16 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 11:48 PM

Thank you Steve

I have always had an interest in anything with a gas engine, small to big and anything the engine was powering. I do not need a lawn tractor for my property however I am in the midst of restoring and 11 hp Honda with electric start and my put in on my snowblower which will free up a 13 hp Briggs for the MTD project. There are simply oodles of garden/lawn tractors for sale but few with a horizontal engine. As well, the wheel base width is larger than I can accomdate. I am hoping the older MTD may be narrow enough. I also would be interested in knowing if a restoration project on this vintage of tractor is sensible.

Thanks very much

Ken

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 05:53 AM

Welcome to GTT. There are a bunch of manuals in our Manuals Section for 800 series tractors. Maybe one of them can help. You are allowed 3 free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,759 Thanks
  • 7,702 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:42 AM

Is restoring an old tractor sensible??? Hummm Well it depends on who you ask. Ask my monster in law and she will say no way. Ask anyone on this board and the answer is yes. Nothing that you buy new will ever be as good as the older stuff.  And nothing you buy new will ever have a great a value to you as the one you sweat, bled and cussed over and made your own.

• ks65609 said thank you

#6 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 02:11 PM

I have been searching this web site, which I consider to be the best I have found for information and pictures, however I have not been successful gaining a great deal of information regarding and MTD eight hundred 8 hp tractor I am thinking of purchasing. The unit has no engine, however I am restoring an older Briggs horizontal shaft unit to install.

However I need to find the wheel base dimensions of this particular tractor, in particular the outside track width of the rear tires.

I would very much appreciate some direction as to a link I may investigate or any other information you may be willing to share. I have spent many hours searching.

Thanks very much

Ken from Canada

Hello Ken, I have one of these, it is in my avatar with my daughter playing on it about 20 years ago. It's a little hard to get to but I managed to measure the wheelbase-it's about 40-1/2" center to center rear axle to front spindle. it was easy to measure the rear track, 30" outside to outside of the rear tires. Hope this helps!

The first 2 pics are today, last 2 are a year or so ago.

Oh yes, welcome from western South Dakota!

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• MTD 800 in shed 001.jpg
  • MTD 800 in shed 002.jpg
  • UncleBill1.jpg
  • UncleBill2.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, November 04, 2013 - 02:15 PM.

• drbish, boyscout862 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#7 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 06:25 PM

Hello ken and welcome! :wave:

#8 ks65609 OFFLINE  

ks65609
  • 16 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Welcome to GTT. There are a bunch of manuals in our Manuals Section for 800 series tractors. Maybe one of them can help. You are allowed 3 free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick

Thanks Rick

I had looked through them however may have missed something. I will check again.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 ks65609 OFFLINE  

ks65609
  • 16 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Hello Ken, I have one of these, it is in my avatar with my daughter playing on it about 20 years ago. It's a little hard to get to but I managed to measure the wheelbase-it's about 40-1/2" center to center rear axle to front spindle. it was easy to measure the rear track, 30" outside to outside of the rear tires. Hope this helps!

The first 2 pics are today, last 2 are a year or so ago.

Oh yes, welcome from western South Dakota!

Later---DAC

Thanks DAC.

That sure looks the same. Thankyou very much for taking the time to get the measurements for me. Huge help !

• MFDAC said thank you

#10 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:55 PM

Thanks DAC.

That sure looks the same. Thankyou very much for taking the time to get the measurements for me. Huge help !

If you have any more questions, let me know, but all I really know about it is I mowed my acre for almost 30 years with it and managed to find a couple of flaws but with what I put it through it sure would pass a quality test in my book! My Uncle Bill mowed with it at his place since new possibly around 1970. I got it around 10 years later.

Later---DAC

#11 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 11:13 AM

The Eight Hundred tractor is actually a model 669, at least in the very early '70s.  If it's the same color scheme as the one in MFDAC's picture above then its probably a '71 as that color was only used a year or two.

The op manual can be downloaded for free at MTD's manuals site:   http://manuals.mtdpr...m/mtd/Public.do

Just enter the model number "141669" and any serial number (I use "5") and accept their download conditions and it's all yours.  The first two digits of the model number represent the product type, in this case 14=garden tractor, the third digit is the model year, 1='71, and the next three are the tractor model.

I have an original '71 sales brochure that I need to scan and post on here but I can give you any specs you need.  The listed wheelbase is 40" and overall width without deck is 28".  Shipping weight was 467lbs and overall length is 55".

• MFDAC said thank you

#12 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 07:47 PM

The Eight Hundred tractor is actually a model 669, at least in the very early '70s.  If it's the same color scheme as the one in MFDAC's picture above then its probably a '71 as that color was only used a year or two.

The op manual can be downloaded for free at MTD's manuals site:   http://manuals.mtdpr...m/mtd/Public.do

Just enter the model number "141669" and any serial number (I use "5") and accept their download conditions and it's all yours.  The first two digits of the model number represent the product type, in this case 14=garden tractor, the third digit is the model year, 1='71, and the next three are the tractor model.

I have an original '71 sales brochure that I need to scan and post on here but I can give you any specs you need.  The listed wheelbase is 40" and overall width without deck is 28".  Shipping weight was 467lbs and overall length is 55".

Thanks, Jim, some day I will do something with mine but for now it's getting a well deserved break. Did that color combo apply to all MTD models for just a year or two? The reason I ask, is last Saturday my wife and I were at a local crusher yard looking for some truck parts and she said "Hey that looks just like your old mower in the shed!" I looked and it sure was a rusty old MTD with the same color combination but it was a "Fifteen Hundred". It was complete near as I could tell and not in much worse shape than mine. She has a pretty good eye!

I should have taken a pic!

Later---DAC

#13 ks65609 OFFLINE  

ks65609
  • 16 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Thanks as well Jim. The colour of the tractor I may consider is red. My plan was to restore to functional, paint etc, install a 13 hp Briggs and sell it. I do not have a need for a garden tractor, however it might make a good project. I am not sure of how strong the market is for this type of older tractor and the investment could escalate quickly.

I very much appreciate the quality information you and others have provided in such a short time to a new member from the great white north :)

Ken

#14 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thanks, Jim, some day I will do something with mine but for now it's getting a well deserved break. Did that color combo apply to all MTD models for just a year or two? The reason I ask, is last Saturday my wife and I were at a local crusher yard looking for some truck parts and she said "Hey that looks just like your old mower in the shed!" I looked and it sure was a rusty old MTD with the same color combination but it was a "Fifteen Hundred". It was complete near as I could tell and not in much worse shape than mine. She has a pretty good eye!

I should have taken a pic!

Later---DAC

Yes the whole lineup used the same basic color combo, at least in the sales brochures.  I know it was used in '71 and I thought it was still used in '72 as well.  Your story about the junkyard just confirmed that.  According to the op manuals, the bigger tractors (models 990 hydro and 960 gear) used a 14hp engine in '71, a 15hp in '72, and then 16hp from '73 to the end of production.  If the fifteen hundred was blue they must have used that in '72 also.

Of course they would also paint them whatever color a client wanted when made as various store brands.....

On a side note.....  I'm impressed that your wife accompanies you to junkyards! :smilewink:  :thumbs:

Thanks as well Jim. The colour of the tractor I may consider is red. My plan was to restore to functional, paint etc, install a 13 hp Briggs and sell it. I do not have a need for a garden tractor, however it might make a good project. I am not sure of how strong the market is for this type of older tractor and the investment could escalate quickly.

I very much appreciate the quality information you and others have provided in such a short time to a new member from the great white north :)

Ken

if it's red it's obviously a different year but I don't know what color was what year other than the blue and white.  They made that basic tractor from at least as far back as '67 thru '73 with a restyled grill in '74.  It looks like the '69 and back were seven hundreds, though, so yours should be a '70 or '73.  If you go to the MTD manuals site and just change the third digit of the model year to "0" or "3", it'll get you to the right manual.

I'm sure it would make a great project but be careful not to put too much money into it if looking to resell.  Keep in mind that while MTD did classify it as a garden tractor as opposed to a lawn tractor, it's still a really small GT.  While I think the little ones are cool and can outwork any of the newer box store mowers, they're not in nearly as much demand as their bigger GT brothers such as the 990 and 960 mentioned above.  The problem is, the little guy could easily cost as much to restore as the bigger ones.

Either way, ENJOY.

And please feel free to ask away if you have any more questions. :thumbs:

• MFDAC said thank you

#15 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 10:39 PM

Yes the whole lineup used the same basic color combo, at least in the sales brochures.  I know it was used in '71 and I thought it was still used in '72 as well.  Your story about the junkyard just confirmed that.  According to the op manuals, the bigger tractors (models 990 hydro and 960 gear) used a 14hp engine in '71, a 15hp in '72, and then 16hp from '73 to the end of production.  If the fifteen hundred was blue they must have used that in '72 also.

Of course they would also paint them whatever color a client wanted when made as various store brands.....

On a side note.....  I'm impressed that your wife accompanies you to junkyards! :smilewink:  :thumbs:

Yeah I am impressed she likes to go to the junkyards too, and she kept encouraging me to buy more parts and who am I to say no??!!

Really interesting info, Jim. The color combo and the graphcs of the "Fifteen Hundred" were the same idea for sure. The grill was quite different than the eight hundred but physically the junkyard one was a lot bigger for obvious reasons. Since I joined this site I felt mine was an LT but it does at least have lug nut wheels.

I'm going to hijack this thread for a post to show how an MTD Eight Hundred can shrink through the years and I apologise to anyone that has seen them before but I love the pics.

My daughter on the same MTD, 1994 or 5 and 2011 

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Erin on MTD.jpg
  • Erin on MTD-2011 001.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, November 05, 2013 - 10:44 PM.

• KennyP said thank you