• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stlzed OFFLINE  

stlzed
  • Member No: 41598
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hi All - Having a problem with my Bolens Power Ho, hope someone can help. I'm only getting power to the left side wheel, the right side isn't kicking in. It was working fine a few days ago, but now only left wheel spins. I can turn the right wheel forward or backward, it's not engaging at all. The chain is good, sprockets good, it's just not "catching" on the powered shaft that the pulley is attached to. I don't really know how to explain it. Like I said it was working good a few days ago, both wheels pulled good, now only left. This started out as a bucket full of parts, bolts, grease, wasp nests and dirt. Worse than a basket case. I didn't have to disassemble anything, it was ALL disassembled! Cleaned, sanded, painted and lubed up. I know the paint ain't exactly perfect match to original, but hey, this thing was one step away from the scrap heap. Still a few things need to finish on her, paint the BOLENS lettering green on the front of the hood in the yellow, and maybe Power Ho on the sides of the hood like the original. I have the original motor (Briggs 8R6) that I'm going to rebuild this winter and put back on her. In the mean time I put a modern Briggs gear reduction (mid-80's from a snow blower) just to get me thru the winter plowing snow. That's the only attachment I've got, a snow plow blade. I do have a Craftsman 36" core plugger aerator pull behind that this thing pulls with ease. I put another set of turf tires on with 70 lb weights each for that, no problem. Just used it today. That's when I noticed the problem. Got her put back together, worked great for a few weeks and now like I said the left wheel is only one getting power,  the right basically free-wheels or turns freely, no power. Any ideas? Thanks!

Razor 008.jpg Razor 011.jpg Razor 014.jpg Razor 016.jpg Razor 010.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, CRFarnsworth and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 stlzed OFFLINE  

stlzed
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 09:13 PM

PS - I wanted to give a shout out to Rick at Rick's Bolens Parts, thanks Rick!! Those are the 5" wheels you mailed me a few weeks ago on her, worked great! Just what I was looking for, thanks again. Original wheels were ate up from calcium chloride leakage, basically gone. 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 09:14 PM

With the extra weight on the rim, did it break loose whatever secures the axle shaft to the inside of the sprocket?
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Sounds like a sheared key at the hub. I do not know how those hubs are driven. Someone who will know should be around soon and may be of more help.

Thanks for the pictures. That looks great.

Geno

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 10:29 PM

That's a pretty nice looking tractor you have. As for the problem you have you might check to see if the key fell out on the right side sprocket (small one) or maybe the outer ratchet could be stripped. I have not had one apart myself yet but looking at the parts diagram those would be the two things I'd start with. If you don't have a diagram yet you can download one here http://gardentractor...01-and-12bb-01/

If you need an outer ratchet assembly member curts garage has a few of the 12B series tractors that I think he'll part out. 

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:33 AM

Another thing to check would be the pawl's

#7 stlzed OFFLINE  

stlzed
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 07:09 PM

Well it was the pawls or ratchets. When I took the assembly apart where the pawls are one basically fell out of the hub. I'm not sure they were even in there correctly to begin with. Even after reassembling it they did not want to engage. So I took it apart again and bent the tab like springs a bit to put some more pressure on the pawls to keep them engaged. A few test runs and she operates better than ever now. Both wheels engage and power good, and I can turn it freely left/right with no resistance, works great. Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas, you guys nailed it.

• Bolens 1000, DougT and Nato77 have said thanks