• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ricky racer OFFLINE  

ricky racer
  • Member No: 49307
  • 39 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Well, I bit the bullet and made a non-Cub purchase today. I mentioned on an earlier post that I was thinking about getting an Economy Power King tractor. After much deliberation and tire kicking I pulled the trigger today and brought it home. The purchase included the tractor, snowblower, rototiller and dozer blade. The guy had a 60" mower deck but it was in such bad shape I didn't load it up to bring home.

I shot these pictures before I unloaded it.

20131103_164725_%28Small%29.jpg

20131103_164732_%28Small%29.jpg

20131103_164744_%28Small%29.jpg

Overall, it's not too bad but the wheels are pretty rotten due to the loaded tires. However, I drove it up onto the trailer and off and the engine doesn't smoke. I've got a lot to learn about it but I think I can get it in pretty good shape. Will I keep it? Will I put a loader on it? We'll see......

• hamman, Traill95, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Nice tractor! Looks to be in pretty good shape.

Geno

• ricky racer said thank you

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Gotta love them old power kings nice buy.

#4 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 10:16 PM

Nice looking Power King and looks like you've got a good selection of attachments as well!

#5 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:07 AM

Congrat's on your new tractor, looks like a real worker

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 05:11 AM

Looks good....and all the attachments too!

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 06:05 AM

You gotta love those big rear wheels. Nice PK package and it's definitely a tractor worth putting some time and money into.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 06:29 AM

Nice tractor :thumbs:  , you got the bigger tiller ,tandem trans and big snow blower too :thumbs:  Good luck with it

#9 ricky racer OFFLINE  

ricky racer
  • 39 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:02 PM

Thanks guys. What paint is the closest to the original paint? Also, is there anyone out there who does seat recovering?

#10 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hi

Nice package!

The paint for pks is "Flambeau Red" as stated from the factory.

But people have used "Chevy engine orange" and "AC orange"

Good luck.

Chuck

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 02:15 PM

Nice, you'll be selling all those "other" brands soon and be a PK'er!   Should have taken the deck for the mule drive and parts at least. 48" deck IS better in my opinion.  Loader on it????  Well, never liked mine, took three arms to run it and no fun compared to modern ones. What's all that junk on the hood?  THAT has to go in my book. Looks like an air cleaner, not muffler and I can see no air cleaner on the carb out the side?   OR, isn't that really a Kohler in there? Nice you got the backrest on that metal seat, hard to find those. Easy to replace all the bearings/bushings in these and any trans or clutch issues. Lots of parts on epay and other sources. Welcome to the group of "Orange Men".    I've used Chevy engine paint and IH yellows and reds on mine. Paint it what you like, be different....Cept Green and Yellow.......spit!

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 02:35 PM

They sure are neat tractors, but I seriously hate doing anything other than looking at mine.

#13 ricky racer OFFLINE  

ricky racer
  • 39 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:56 PM

"Nice, you'll be selling all those "other" brands soon and be a PK'er!   Should have taken the deck for the mule drive and parts at least. 48" deck IS better in my opinion.  Loader on it????  Well, never liked mine, took three arms to run it and no fun compared to modern ones. What's all that junk on the hood?  THAT has to go in my book. Looks like an air cleaner, not muffler and I can see no air cleaner on the carb out the side?   OR, isn't that really a Kohler in there? Nice you got the backrest on that metal seat, hard to find those. Easy to replace all the bearings/bushings in these and any trans or clutch issues. Lots of parts on epay and other sources. Welcome to the group of "Orange Men".    I've used Chevy engine paint and IH yellows and reds on mine. Paint it what you like, be different....Cept Green and Yellow.......spit!"

Thanks grump! I took all the mule drive brackets and maybe some extra brackets. I think a FEL would make it more useful around the homestead and save my aging back. Tell me why I shouldn't, I need to learn before I buy.

On the hood is an oil bath air cleaner mounted on it's side (it has to be mounted vertical to hold oil). That will go I assure you. The thing is load and the muffler might get a different location or modification. Motor is a Kohler but it is not painted so I think it may have been replaced at some time.

I'd like to find someone who can reupholster the seat if not I'll get a new seat probably from TSC similar to those on the newer PK's

I looked for the serial tag and couldn't find it. Where did they mount them?

Many more questions to follow.

Edited by ricky racer, November 04, 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#14 ricky racer OFFLINE  

ricky racer
  • 39 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Oh, while I am thinking of it, what group battery best fits this tractor? I currently have a deep cycle battery in place but it is dangerously close to welding itself to the seat. :firejumper:

#15 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hi,

If you're looking for a fel, there was one on the Michigan c'list for $1000 last week.

I think Grumpy's comments had to do with using the clutch/shifter, steering, loader controls,, etc all at the same time.

I have a few Economy/PK's and while I thought briefly about a fel for one, the lack of power steering and

the other listed concerns I passed on that Idea. There are a lot of pk's out there with fels that people love and use.

Chuck