• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sam s OFFLINE  

sam s

• Member No: 6791
  • 3 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:01 PM

I have a 72 c-8 I think super convertible. I got it running last night and it ran great so this morning I put on the brush hog to mow and about 30mins into it just shut off!! I rechecked the timing OK,checked sparkOK,checked compression OK, I have feul getting to the carb but not much on the plug. I rebuilt the carb and cleaned and adjusted veva the service manual. I'm just out of idea's and i'm sick of messing with it. please help!!  

• JRJ said thank you

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:09 PM

Just a WAG, but I'd say you're sucking air somewhere between the carb & the cylinder.  If you have gas in the carb & not on the plug, it is sucking air from someplace other than the carb.  

• JRJ said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:31 PM

Sam, these old Gravelys can be a pain in the tail end if they don't work right, but they are great when they are right. 

It sure sound to me like something got into the carburetor.  Do you have a fuel filter installed in the line?

Pull the plug at the back of the Zenith carburetor. Do you get a good full bowl of gas drain out?

Ben W.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 10:45 PM

Along with Ben's and NCBdbO's comments, when you rebuilt the carburetor did you remove the welch plugs?  Did you check the throttle shaft for wear? 

#5 sam s OFFLINE  

sam s

• 3 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Sam, these old Gravelys can be a pain in the tail end if they don't work right, but they are great when they are right. 

It sure sound to me like something got into the carburetor.  Do you have a fuel filter installed in the line?

Pull the plug at the back of the Zenith carburetor. Do you get a good full bowl of gas drain out?

Ben W.

I don't have a filter on it but the tank is clean and i'm getting good fuel flow out of the carb.

#6 sam s OFFLINE  

sam s

• 3 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:35 PM

Along with Ben's and NCBdbO's comments, when you rebuilt the carburetor did you remove the welch plugs?  Did you check the throttle shaft for wear? 

I did not remove the welch plugs. I throttle shaft has a little play but not much.

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:02 PM

When it has cooled down will it restart and run? 

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:28 PM

A Gravely will run with a wide range of ills, or at least attempt to fire.  Models older than yours tended to have issues with the exhaust valve getting stuck open, but you say compression is Ok.  Gas on the plug means fuel is getting to the cylinder.  I'd pull the air hose just to make sure the carb isn't flooding.  I'd also replace the plug.  I've had even relatively new plugs go bad and give me great trouble because "its a new plug, I can see spark, can't be the plug"!