12 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 06:27 PM

So, I finally dragged the Waterloo model 15 into the garage as a winter project.  It has (as opposed to should have) a 2 hp Briggs engine (60102 1015 01) from the 1980s (82040703) on it.  The tank had serious rust in it and it will eventually get Red Koted.  My immediate problem is that the tank leaks at the horizontal seam around the middle.  

My question is: What is the best way to fix the leak?  Solder, epoxy, JB Weld, brazing, etc....

Model 15 pic 1.JPG Model 15 pic 2.JPG IMG_0978.JPG

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 06:34 PM

jb weld ought to fix that just make sure you clean it up good

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and JRJ have said thanks

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Do you have a radiator repair shop close? If so they can repair it. JB Weld will also fix it. take your time to clean it and prep it for the JB. You may be able to crimp the seam if it has come un crimped.. I can't tell by the picture if it is rusted or simply leaking at the crimp. Good Luck.

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:36 PM

They say the best place to take a gas tank with problems is a radiator shop and I wish you luck at getting it fixed properly. 

Dick

Edited by JRJ, November 05, 2013 - 09:08 AM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:42 PM

JB Weld is what I have used.  For big gas tanks, I second the radiator shop.

Ben W.

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 08:27 PM

I would clean the tank out good with maybe a light muratic acid. follow that with a good rinse and let it dry. Then use the tank sealer. I've never used redkote but the sealers I've used advertise they can stop small pinholes. I'd let the sealer permeate that seam real good with nothing holding it back on the outsid. If it leaks too fast, use some tape or matting to hold it. If you want to use JB after the fact, it will be fine but I wouldn't use it first. My experience has been if the gas can get to the backside of the JB it wil usually come loose and leak. They make a 2 part putty they claim will seal in gas but I've never had much luck with it either. I wouldn't think that tank would be real hard to find.

• Alc, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and JRJ have said thanks

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 09:24 PM

,,, I wouldn't think that tank would be real hard to find.

You make a good point: it costs about C$65 to get it Red Koted at my local rad shop or I could do it myself for about C$30, but  a new tank is only about C$60.  BUT, if I buy a new tank, what will I do with the old one?  It can be repaired, so I feel obligated to repair it.  If I buy a new tank, am I still going to fix the old one?  Likely.  So buying a new one actually costs me two or three times the price of fixing the old one.  Call it "new math".

• IamSherwood said thank you

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 09:31 PM

You make a good point: it costs about C$65 to get it Red Koted at my local rad shop or I could do it myself for about C$30, but  a new tank is only about C$60.  BUT, if I buy a new tank, what will I do with the old one?  It can be repaired, so I feel obligated to repair it.  If I buy a new tank, am I still going to fix the old one?  Likely.  So buying a new one actually costs me two or three times the price of fixing the old one.  Call it "new math".

If I were you, I would repair the tank myself. Wash it out very well to get all the gas fumes out of it and soldier it myself. If you can soldier Copper pipes together, you can fix this tank.

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,289 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:00 AM

I would clean the tank out good with maybe a light muratic acid. follow that with a good rinse and let it dry. Then use the tank sealer. I've never used redkote but the sealers I've used advertise they can stop small pinholes. I'd let the sealer permeate that seam real good with nothing holding it back on the outsid. If it leaks too fast, use some tape or matting to hold it. If you want to use JB after the fact, it will be fine but I wouldn't use it first. My experience has been if the gas can get to the backside of the JB it wil usually come loose and leak. They make a 2 part putty they claim will seal in gas but I've never had much luck with it either. I wouldn't think that tank would be real hard to find.

muratic acid works great for removing rust BUT it will need to be sealed within minutes of flushing the acid out of the tank.If you don't seal the inside of the tank after the metal is oxidised by the Muratic acid it will rust 10x worse than the tank was before you cleaned it within a couple of days.

I ruined a motorcycle tank that I was trying to clean out with acid.I thought I had a can of gas tank liner but it had dried up and by the time I had the time to go get some (almost a week) the rust had returned with a vengeance.Rust was so thick that it was literately flaking.

If you solder the seam you are going to have to solder the whole way around.The heat will melt the sealant that they use on the seem.

You could heat it and burn the sealant out of the seem and take the tank apart and clean it then Solder the seem back up then coat the tank.That way you know if there are any thin spots in the bottom and you could solder those up before you put the sealer in.  

• DougT, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Dwight68 have said thanks

#10 Kfs35 ONLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Personally, I would buy a new tank, and scrap/throw that one away.  It's not the original engine/tank for your tractor, so to me, it's not worth messing with. 

#11 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:17 PM

I've used the product KREEM on my sons Honda 4 wheeler tank. It has been coated and had JB Weld applied prior to coating. It is still holding nearly 3 years now. Just takes a lot of prep time. Roger.

#12 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 11:59 AM

No matter how many times U wash it out U it still could explode. Soldering it is too risky.  Use JB Weld or some other sealer or buy

another tank.

#13 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 05:29 PM

I keep thinking about any gas fumes that may be lingering around any corner in the old tank, it doesn't take but one boom and you know what that means. I'm sorry it is better to be safe than sorry. If you take it to a radiator shop it is out of your hair and I think the shop will stand behind there work and if they decide to do it they should stand behind the work.

What does you wife say.

With all the time and thinking about this that everyone has put into it you could have ordered a new tank and be waiting for it and thinking about your next project.

Dick