14 replies to this topic

#1 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Went to the farm this afternoon to put my lawnseeper and roto tiller in the garden tractor shed for the winter.  Got on the 4 wheeler and went down thru the field to the combine with my daughter so she could get a ride.  Dad gets out of the combine and we are talking.  Part way thru the conversation he tells her if she wants a ride that she needs to get one soon so she can.  Right away I knew what he meant even though I didn't want to admit to it.

He and mom have decided it's time to quit farming.  We will be selling the combine and heads as well as the biggest tractor, corn planter, tillage tools and the grain handling equipment and grain dryer.  They had allready ordered seed for next year so they are going to see if they can cancel the order.  We will keep all of our antique collection as well as our big truck for hauling tractors to shows and our rotary mower and mid size tractor for maintaining the farm.  The plan is too see if any of the local farmers are interrested in renting the ground from us.  There are quite a few locals that farm considerable amounts of acreage that would probably be interested. 

I am still not sure what I think about it yet.  The farm has been in my family since 1806 and has been actively farmed for most of that time frame with only a short span where it was not when my grandfather worked for the local operators union doing roadwork and pipeline construction.  It is going to take a while to get used to it and will be hard to see all the equipment go down the road.  A farm boy without farm equipment to play on is gonna be tough.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 17 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 05:30 PM

Boy do I know what you feel. We got rid of everything about 15 years ago. We had not kept up with the size increases, but we were still farming. cattle, crops, etc. mom and dad decided it was time and I wasnt going to be a dissenting voice.

We are trying to do what we can to keep the land in the family, but it is going to be a very tough row. Worth every minute, but tough.
  • Alc, IHCubGuy, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#3 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well, why don't you take over ?? I hate to see things like this , but it is all too familiar these days .. Very sad.
  • IHCubGuy, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,558 Thanks
  • 3,937 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 05:34 PM

.  It is going to take a while to get used to it and will be hard to see all the equipment go down the road.  A farm boy without farm equipment to play on is gonna be tough.

This will be rough. I can't imagine what that would be like. There will be a lot of adjustment for everyone.

• IHCubGuy, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Well, why don't you take over ?? I hate to see things like this , but it is all too familiar these days .. Very sad.

I would love to, but have neither the time or the capital to do so.  Mom and dad financed and ran the farn with their own money and what they made in profit was always put back into it in capital improvements like new buildings or equipment updates.  The farm itself is not going anywhere, just the equipment.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Sad...I hate to hear of farmers giving up
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Happening like a runaway train I'm afraid.  The children of farmers opt for better paying careers, and who can blame them.  It's a tough life physically & financially.  When you have a good weather year, the prices are usually low, then when prices are high, like with dry years, you have little to sell.  Gets hard to take after giving most of your life to it.  

At least for now your family's farm will stay intact.  I sometimes imagine my cows all going down the road to the sale barns, and even though I don't want to milk cows till I die, I think if it happens I will have to find a private place to have a good cry.  I understand your feelings completely.

• MH81, Alc, IamSherwood and 6 others have said thanks

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Sorry to hear that, I know what you feel like. 

Ben W.

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:54 PM

A big life change can be hard, no matter what you're doing, especially when you love it, but

reality is reality and must be dealt with. I wish you and your family well in this change.

• IHCubGuy, skyrydr2 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 08:27 PM

I seen a bumper sticker at least 20 or more years ago that has stuck with me all those years..."Never before have so many people been fed by so few farmers". That is even more so today. I pray all goes well with you & your family during this transition.

• IHCubGuy, skyrydr2 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 10:59 PM

Remember you still have your family and they will need you most of all. Hang in there. My prayers to all of you.

• IHCubGuy and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:07 AM

We feel your pain, been there, done that. We have two sons, neither of whom wanted to farm, and our machinery was done, worn out and so were we. Made the decision, bit the bullet, and moved on. At least you get to keep the land--- best decision you and your family could have made. Chin up, and keep on keeping on.
  • IHCubGuy, skyrydr2 and Team_Green have said thanks

#13 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 06:13 AM

Yeah, been there.  First the farm house was left empty, then the land was leased out.  When it really hit me was when I had to ask the renter if I could go on our land.  It's not like he'd say no...known him all my life...but I had to ask so he'd know who was driving around his pasture.  Also, it's always good to know where the bulls are, especially when you don't know them.

We've sold our 160 acres now. Used the cash to move my mother closer to family and medical care.  We moved her whole house, so now you wake up in the morning and look out then window and you're in the wrong town but the right house. It's kind of disorienting. 

• Alc, IHCubGuy, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:25 AM

I have a cousin who, with her husband, own and farm the family farm in Nebraska. I reported before that they were awarded status as a pioneer farm. It has been in the same family for 100 years. At the same time, they told me they were moving to a better house and knocking down all the buildings on they're farm. I'm glad I have an aerial photo of what it used to look like.

• IHCubGuy and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 04:17 PM

We feel your pain, been there, done that. We have two sons, neither of whom wanted to farm, and our machinery was done, worn out and so were we. Made the decision, bit the bullet, and moved on. At least you get to keep the land--- best decision you and your family could have made. Chin up, and keep on keeping on.

I am still actively helping my dad with the farm work whenever I can but I have not the time to devote to it to do it full time on my own and it hurts as I DO want to continue doing it.  Also our machinery while not all new is far from wore out.  Our corn planter and sprayer are both less than 10 years old and apart from needing some maitenance on the corn head the combine is good as well.  In fact we just went over the rotor less than a month ago and put in new wear parts.  Also just finished up our grain truck with a new roll over tarp and sides last month. 

Yeah, been there.  First the farm house was left empty, then the land was leased out.  When it really hit me was when I had to ask the renter if I could go on our land.  It's not like he'd say no...known him all my life...but I had to ask so he'd know who was driving around his pasture.  Also, it's always good to know where the bulls are, especially when you don't know them.

We've sold our 160 acres now. Used the cash to move my mother closer to family and medical care.  We moved her whole house, so now you wake up in the morning and look out then window and you're in the wrong town but the right house. It's kind of disorienting. 

If we do rent out the ground I will not have to worry about whether I can go on the property or not.  We have no animals or pasture and there is a lane from the township road to some of our sheds in the middle of our fields.

I have a cousin who, with her husband, own and farm the family farm in Nebraska. I reported before that they were awarded status as a pioneer farm. It has been in the same family for 100 years. At the same time, they told me they were moving to a better house and knocking down all the buildings on they're farm. I'm glad I have an aerial photo of what it used to look like.

The farm house and original buildings have been long since gone and replaced with new modern buildings which will last for many years to come.  I do have memories and pictures of them though.  Only thing I don't remember is the barn as it was gone before I was born as Great gram and pap had both passed on in the mid 60's and the barn was gone not long after that.  I should note the farmhouse and main buildings were on a parcel of the farm that was owned by my great uncle who left them fall into disrepair after my great grandparents were gone.

As far as the land itself is concerned, no one has actively earned a living off of the farm for the past 60 years. Great gram and pap divided the farm in two parcels between my grandfather and my great uncle.  My grandfathers parcel and part of my great uncles parcel are now owned by mom and dad.  The remaining portion of my great uncles parcel was divided between his two children.  His daughters portion is where the farmhouse used to once be and her portion of the ground we currently rent.  My other cousin(great uncles son) rents his portion of the ground out to a neighboring farmer.  They have farmed it for at least the last 30 years.  Gram and pap farmed their parcel just as a hobby as is the case currently with mom and dad. The land has been passed down for years so it is owned free and clear so besides property taxes it costs us nothing to keep. In fact I allready know it is in mom and dads will that the land is mine down the road.  Told the wife last nite that maybe somewhere down the road maybe we will be in a better situation wher I can buy a small corn planter and picker and wagons and do a little for a hobby or plant hay and bale and sell it.  I allready have a good selection of tractors to use.

Edited by IHCubGuy, November 04, 2013 - 04:30 PM.

• MH81, HowardsMF155, twostep and 2 others have said thanks