4 replies to this topic

#1 Scott OFFLINE  

Scott

• Member No: 1664
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hi guys,

I have a massey 1655 that don't want to run right. When you start it you can speed up the rpms by pulling the choke a bit. After its good and hot it won't idle back down hardly below a medium rev. It has the onan engine and the intake was resealed. Any advice? 

Thanks

• JRJ said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 04:40 PM

Scott, welcome to the forum.  Someone more knowledgeable about Onan than me will be along I'm sure. 

Does it start well?  If it is carburetor related (which I doubt) I'd wonder if it is running lean. 

When you say it won't idle down, do you mean it stays running medium RPM or does it die? 

Can you pull the throttle shaft back to idle by hand, does it slow down then?  Is your governor adjusted right?  Are your linkages from your control cables right?

Ben W.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. I'll second checking the throttle and governor linkages. If it speeds up when you pull the choke it is a sign of running lean. Normally it would run rough and start smoking when choked after a start. Give it a good once over and maybe pull the plugs to see what they look like. 

#4 Scott OFFLINE  

Scott

• Member No: 1664
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the reply's  guys.  It does not die it just stays at medium rpm. The governor seems like its working properly. I checked head temp and one side is running 50 to 75 degrees warmer. It does seem like its running lean and I have tried to richen it up with no luck. Compression was a little over 80 on both sides.

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:11 PM

If it is running lean then, get a can of carburetor cleaner, crank the engine and spray the cleaner around the intake manifold, Throttle shaft and see if the rpm change.  When you pull the throttle back does the throttle shaft actually make contact with the idle screw?