• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 03:15 PM

Very sweet job indeed! Warren, looks like you have the original power steering hydraulic cylinder. Have you done or plan to do any upgrades to it? Have you any problems with the single oring between the rod cap and rod? Thanks.

#17 warren OFFLINE  

warren
  • Member No: 48223
  • 42 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 04:41 PM

So far I haven't had any problems with it.  I really haven't had a load in the bucket but the steering does seem to be a tad heavy.  My original S16H that I had the loader on, I had utilized a power steering set up from JD 318.  Are you aware of upgrades that should be done?  thanks.

#18 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 05:09 PM

So far I haven't had any problems with it. I really haven't had a load in the bucket but the steering does seem to be a tad heavy. My original S16H that I had the loader on, I had utilized a power steering set up from JD 318. Are you aware of upgrades that should be done? thanks.

I have another thread on this where I got some good suggestions. Ariens built the original cylinders themselves and you used to be able to buy replacement parts. Now they buy the complete cylinder from a vendor and resell it for almost $500. It is a pretty cheesy design in that the rod cap has no wiper or wear ring, just one oring. It is also an unusual design in that it has a 5/8" rod with a 2 1/4" bore. I think they did this to keep the push and pull forces closer together. You can get a stock cylinder for $100 which has a much better rod cap complete with wiper, wear ring and oring. However, a 2" bore will have a 1" rod making the push and pull forces more different than OEM. I do not know if this would be a problem or not. Suggestions I got here were to have my rod cap machined to accept a wear ring and perhaps a quad ring instead of an oring. My oring used to go years before leaking but now only goes months. It is not a hard job to replace the oring but I would like to get it fixed properly.

Edited by artbuc, November 03, 2013 - 05:09 PM.

• warren said thank you

#19 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,513 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 05:09 PM

I thought I might be getting power steering setup this summer for the S-16. A friend bought an old tractor for parts. but then he decided it was in to good shape to part out. 

• MH81 and warren have said thanks

#20 Ariens Ken OFFLINE  

Ariens Ken
  • Member No: 48798
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Absolutely beautiful
  • warren said thank you

#21 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,513 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 05:25 AM

Absolutely beautiful

:welcome:  :welcome:  :welcome:

Welcome to the forums Ariens Ken! 

• warren said thank you

#22 c--line OFFLINE  

c--line
  • Member No: 59021
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 10:01 AM

I read this thread completely before doing a similiar project on my GT20 with FEL. Really good article and well done job. Since I utilized the original brake pedal as a foreward/reverse foot control, that left me with the left pedal for individual brakes. I'll try and attach a pic.
attachicon.gif005.JPG

Hi Warren, I'm really interested in the foot control for the Hydro, I have shoulder problems and the Hydro control on the fender aggravates it greatly. Do you have any close up pics of how you converted the linkage?

Your setup looks really nice. What is the lever sticking out of the floor pan for?

Thanks a lot,

c--line

#23 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,513 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted July 26, 2014 - 05:29 PM

Your setup looks really nice. What is the lever sticking out of the floor pan for?

Thanks a lot,

c--line

Welcome to the forums c--line!

I think Warren said that was a neutral for starting and parking.