• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • Member No: 49320
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 10:43 PM

If you're coming over from my new members post now you'll get to see some pictures of the tractor that I think might just put me back into deep fix-it mode.

I bought this tractor yesterday and paid $250.00 for it. It ran well when I first turned the key at the seller's place, and he was nice enough to drive it into the pickup for me, which is why I probably have trouble keeping it running now that I have it home. Actually I think the gas tank needs to be fuller and possibly the fuel pump could use some work. 

I mentioned there are things that need to be fixed and modifications that need to be reversed. 

Fixes:

* Lights

* Ammeter

* Seat sensor

* PTO switch (?) it's bent.

Modifications:

* Deck chains (?)

* Body dents and hood clamp parts (Technically not a modification)

* Wiring. (something was bypassed to keep it running without the seat sensor switch connected)

Does rehab count?

So, without further rambling, here's some pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ford YT16H Console Rs.jpg
  • Ford YT16H DB Rs.jpg
  • Ford YT16H front Rs.jpg
  • Ford YT16H LT Rs.jpg
  • Ford YT16H Rr Rs.jpg
  • Ford YT16H RT Rs.jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 06:06 AM

That looks to be in reasonably good shape for a tractor of it's vintage. Whenever you get an old tractor there are always unexpected surprises waiting for you. Some fixes will be easy and some may require parts and more work to fix. Check with our site sponsors if you can't find any parts locally and have a look in our manuals section for information on the tractor and on the engine as well. 

• hamman, JRJ and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:31 AM

If I was in your shoes, I would take some time and make it run right and then start on everything else.  That way you can know what all needs to be done and what kind of money needs to be spent before you start doing body work and that sort of thing. 

Ben W.

• hamman, JRJ and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:54 AM

I have some more manuals for this. Here's a wiring diagram:

Attached File  FordYT16 model 09GN2153.pdf   351.9KB   313 downloads

And a 6 part service manual:

Attached File  Pt1.pdf   2.6MB   858 downloads

Attached File  Pt2.pdf   4.79MB   479 downloads

Attached File  Pt3.pdf   3.85MB   301 downloads

Attached File  Pt4.pdf   3.22MB   257 downloads

Attached File  Pt5.pdf   3.6MB   386 downloads

Attached File  Pt6.pdf   2.74MB   730 downloads

And a mower deck manual:

http://gardentractor...rsparts-manual/

Hope these help!

Edited by KennyP, May 06, 2016 - 05:43 AM.
Fixed bad link on mower manual

• daytime dave, Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 09:41 AM

That KennyP is on top of things that deal with Ford.

Dick

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Not sure, but bet that iron on front is from a blade mount or even a blower. My White of old was made by Jacobsen, maker of this and was a similar design. Those old seat switches should have been an easy bypass, with just a wire jumper or connecting the seat wires together. If you don't have kids, who cares if that works?

OOOPS! just made error on pix I guess. I see the iron is on BACK and a drawbar (it says right on it). So........

Never Mind!   :wallbanging:

Edited by glgrumpy, November 03, 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#7 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Today's progress report:

I swapped batteries and found out that a well charged battery is a must to get this mower running like a top. Then I found out that I may have a problem with the reverse part of the hydro., unless it is supposed to go 20 feet an hour in reverse. I also found out that I do have a problem with the motor. It ran great and then backfired and died, twice. It is a bit weak under full load. I think the carb. needs to be adjusted, and set it to run lean.

Looking at the manuals I guess there are a lot fewer modifications than I thought. There is still the matter of the lights needing to be connected, and the seat switch wired, one way or another. I do have a 14 year old daughter who might drive this tractor in the near future and a 2 year old son who might drive it after it looks new.

So, we have a point to start. Down to gettin it done. 

Added: The model is 09GN2199 and it was made in 1986 according to the list in the first part of the manual.

Can someone link to the information about the Jacobsen and Gilson - Ford manufacturing dates. TIA

Edited by MadAtGrass, November 03, 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Not sure, but bet that iron on front is from a blade mount or even a blower. My White of old was made by Jacobsen, maker of this and was a similar design. Those old seat switches should have been an easy bypass, with just a wire jumper or connecting the seat wires together. If you don't have kids, who cares if that works?

OOOPS! just made error on pix I guess. I see the iron is on BACK and a drawbar (it says right on it). So........

Never Mind!   :wallbanging:

Grumpy, This Series of Fords were built by Gilson after Ford dropped Jacobson supplying them GT's.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:22 AM

Today's progress report:

I swapped batteries and found out that a well charged battery is a must to get this mower running like a top. Then I found out that I may have a problem with the reverse part of the hydro., unless it is supposed to go 20 feet an hour in reverse. I also found out that I do have a problem with the motor. It ran great and then backfired and died, twice. It is a bit weak under full load. I think the carb. needs to be adjusted, and set it to run lean.

Looking at the manuals I guess there are a lot fewer modifications than I thought. There is still the matter of the lights needing to be connected, and the seat switch wired, one way or another. I do have a 14 year old daughter who might drive this tractor in the near future and a 2 year old son who might drive it after it looks new.

So, we have a point to start. Down to gettin it done. 

Added: The model is 09GN2199 and it was made in 1986 according to the list in the first part of the manual.

Can someone link to the information about the Jacobsen and Gilson - Ford manufacturing dates. TIA

Thanks for the model #. Jacobsen made the Fords up to 1983. I believe Gilson took over in 1984(?).

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#10 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 11:43 PM

Well, thinking that I couldn't really rely on the Ford to get my lawn done, I bought another tractor to get it done today on one of the best days we're likely to have. It was really Fall at it's best today. Here's my "new" (used) Husqvarna. 

Husqvarna_001.jpg

I bought it and had it dropped of at my house while I went to an appointment. It was waiting for me when I got home and I still had to pay the tax on it so I decided to get as far on the lawn as I could before my daughter got home to use it. I pushed the poor girl to exhaustion and then started her up again to get my part of the lawn done. 1 hour and 40-45 minutes later I had my part of the lawn done. My daughter had just stepped off the bus so I told her to finish "her area" while I went to pay the rest of the bill.

I was back in 10 minutes and the sun was going down in our yard, so I started up the Ford to do the area that was under it, and it ran so well I decided to mow some more of the yard to help my daughter get finished before it was "dark". After I finally got my daughter to understand that she had to mow where I hadn't mowed to double the track, we got it almost finished before the Ford was overheating and stopped running. It was smoking a little, but I couldn't find the cause of the smoke. I restarted her to get her parked and in all she ran well for a good 15 to 16 times around the front yard without signs of excess strain. (20 minutes?)

The YT16H wouldn't have gotten the whole yard done, but there were no backfire stops this time. Could it have been from sitting in the sun all day, or running it at full throttle while mowing? I'm trying to decide it I work on it over the winter piece by piece in the basement, or try to get some other structure together in the few days before snow hits.

Whatever happens I'll post the pictures here at GTt.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by MadAtGrass, November 05, 2013 - 11:51 PM.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#11 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 12:52 AM

Wow, life really throws you some curves and I just posted about life and a Simplicity 2012 over in that forum that popped up on Craig's List, but it got me thinking. What kind of accessories are\were available for my Ford? The more I look at the less imagination I have. 

I won't bore you with specifics, so can anyone direct me to a brochure or list of things to do with this old girl?

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Al, besides the deck, I know there was a front blade, snow blower, & a tiller for these. Not sure if anything else was available!

• MadAtGrass said thank you

#13 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Kenny, I was hoping to hear that a tiller was one of the attachments. Would it be a self powered tiller, or do I need to look for some other PTO parts?

The tiller alone will be a find, but I saw an add on Craig's List that might yield some goodies. I guess I contact that seller to see if he has anything I can use.

Edited by MadAtGrass, November 18, 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#14 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 03:58 AM

The tiller for those rigs had a sub frame and was belt driven.
  • KennyP said thank you

#15 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 09:54 PM

I tried to contact the person that was advertising parts and explained what I was looking for because he mentioned Simplicity tractors specifically. I think he is also advertising a restored Allis Chalmers for $3000.00. I haven't received any reply about his parts or if he knows of anyone that might have Ford accessories.

Sometimes I think CL is just more bad news. Sometimes you do find a little gem, but we'll see if the 49 cc mini 4 wheeler I got for my 2 yo son turns out to be a good buy, or just more parts.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mini4x4_001.jpg