Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Do these kinds of ads bug anyone but me?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 02:41 PM

If I was in the market for a tiller, I wouldn't even bother to respond to this ad.....

ARIENS TILLER

"ran when it was parked several years ago, not sure if it will start or not."

Does that statement bug anyone but me? Like, PULL THE ROPE AND SEE IF IT STARTS!!!

Along with comments like, "It ran when I parked it", "It ran last year", "it ran two years ago when I parked it"...... Kind of like saying, "It ran real good before it broke..."

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 03:11 PM

Know what you mean , maybe you should look at it as meaning " I'll take just about anything for it because it's not worth my time or money to even look at it " and just hope it's wasn't because someone tried starting it, left the plug out , cyl. filled with water froze and now has a cracked block.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 03:15 PM

I hate when people have ads like that. Unless Its something really rare I wont even respond to adds like that.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 03:38 PM

That statement would certainly bug me.

#5 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 04:01 PM

Sorry guys but I love ads like that.

First reason is that it scares away all of you and that plays in my favor. Second reason is that it tells me that either I'm dealer with someone who is too lazy or too uneducated to get this item running or he knows it won't run and is just trying to play dumb. Either way, he just gave me the perfect argument I need to beat the crap out of him over the asking price and get it cheap.

How many times have members come on here and said the got something for little or no money, brought it home, spent 20 minutes on it to conduct some routine maintenance and the thing runs like a top?

#6 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 04:11 PM

Sorry guys but I love ads like that.

First reason is that it scares away all of you and that plays in my favor. Second reason is that it tells me that either I'm dealer with someone who is too lazy or too uneducated to get this item running or he knows it won't run and is just trying to play dumb. Either way, he just gave me the perfect argument I need to beat the crap out of him over the asking price and get it cheap.

How many times have members come on here and said the got something for little or no money, brought it home, spent 20 minutes on it to conduct some routine maintenance and the thing runs like a top?

Good point. I'm always looking for other points of view. I certainly see where those ads can work to a person's advantage!

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 04:26 PM

I'm with hydriv on this one. As long as it's not too far away, it wouldn't hurt to go take a look.

#8 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 04:30 PM

I think it depends. I talked to one guy who didn't know the model #, wasn't sure if the snowblower he had was the right one for it, but was "Sure a guy like you can get it going." First of all he had no idea what kind of guy I am, and second of all I would have had to drive an hour and a half each way. His price was high too...like he thought green paint was gold. If he'd been closer, it might have been worth a look. He must have known where he lived though, and how far away it was from everything.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 06:26 PM

If they're not going to put the effort into making it run, then they have to price it like it needs a new motor or a major overhaul. Outside of that, I'll pass & thank you very much.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 06:48 PM

Although I don't like the phrasing I have to agree with hydriv on this one and say it doesn't scare me away but rather attracts me to it because of the bargaining leverage. There are a lot of other details that need to go in to the factor as well like the overall condition and I prefer ads with pictures.

#11 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 07:02 PM

Yup...Thats the kind of ad where I have gotten most of my stuff...and cheap too.....People that just cant be bothered. Of course, you know when you get there, you are doing all the work.....Thats why I have a winch on my trailer

#12 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 07:11 PM

Yup...Thats the kind of ad where I have gotten most of my stuff...and cheap too.....People that just cant be bothered. Of course, you know when you get there, you are doing all the work.....Thats why I have a winch on my trailer

Might have to add a winch to the trailer. Very good points on reading the ads. Just need something close to go look at.

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 07:15 PM

My biggest complaint on any ad listed on the internet where it is easily editable "mainly craigslist" are the ones that don't delete the dam things when they are sold. The other pet peeve are the ones that don't respond until a week later saying "Oh sorry, I just sold it to a guy".

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 07:21 PM

Well, if it's the honest truth, that does tell me it doesn't have a tossed rod or something major busted, so not totally a bad ad to read into.

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 08:31 PM

Might have to add a winch to the trailer. Very good points on reading the ads. Just need something close to go look at.

I took an old boat winch that was missing it's cable & went to Harbor Freight. Bought a long ratchet strap & removed the ratchet end. Installed the long strap on the winch & wah-lah! MUCH less pushing in my life, It'll bring it all the way to the front & start the tilt back down.

I was going to buy an ATV winch, but for the few times a year I need it, cranking beats dragging a battery along.