Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Remember Saturday Mornings When You Were A Kid?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Great old toons. The loony toons theme song was the soundtrack on my childhood. I also like getting home from school and watching Starblazers. Only one other person I know of had ever heard of it. I found it on netflix.

• JimD and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 05:35 PM

Most of my TV watching was waaay before these. Some of the 'toons were reruns from the late '40s, stick figures and early

Disney stuff. A lot of the programs were live TV kids shows. The best was Howdy Doody, followed by Elmer the Elephant, Koukla, Fran and Ollie. There was a Sat. morn show with a frog that appeared in a cloud of smoke and they showed movies of Gunga the elephant boy. I'm thinking maybe Ray Raynor was the host. I got to watch Our Gang the first time around. 

• JimD, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#18 JimD OFFLINE  

JimD

• Member No: 385
  • 680 Thanks
  • 482 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:00 AM

Man, you guys all brought up a lot of great toons and shows from our childhoods. Maybe we should change this to a "post your favorite cartoon" thread. :D

#19 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:19 AM

Most of my TV watching was waaay before these. Some of the 'toons were reruns from the late '40s, stick figures and early

Disney stuff. A lot of the programs were live TV kids shows. The best was Howdy Doody, followed by Elmer the Elephant, Koukla, Fran and Ollie. There was a Sat. morn show with a frog that appeared in a cloud of smoke and they showed movies of Gunga the elephant boy. I'm thinking maybe Ray Raynor was the host. I got to watch Our Gang the first time around. 

The show that you are thinking of is "Andy's Gang" with Andy Devine. Froggy was supposed to be magical. Andy would summon him with "pluck you magic twanger froggy". Andy Devine had a raspy voice and was the comic relief in many 30s, 40s, and eary 50s cowboy movies. He occassionally got to be the hero too. He did a great episode of "The Twilight Zone" too.

Our Gang was a movie short first shown in the early 30s in the theaters as were most cartoons. The same with the "Gashouse Gang" also known as "The Bowery Boys" of Sach and Slip.  If you read the beginning of the original Popeye cartoons they date to 1933 and Betty Boop goes to silent cartoons in 1928. There were a whole bunch of other cartoons that we enjoyed too, some were silent and black and white. Some Memories! If you watch them now, many don't seem as good as we remember. Warner Brothers, Disney, Fleischer Brothers, and MGM have stood the test of time.  Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill said thank you

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Great old toons. The loony toons theme song was the soundtrack on my childhood. I also like getting home from school and watching Starblazers. Only one other person I know of had ever heard of it. I found it on netflix.

Doesn't seem to be on there anymore. :(
Looks like some of them are on youtube tho

Anyone remember Astro Boy?

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:48 AM

The show that you are thinking of is "Andy's Gang" with Andy Devine. Froggy was supposed to be magical. Andy would summon him with "pluck you magic twanger froggy".

That's it, thanks!  Does anyone remember the old cartoons where the characters would actually be in blackface. Not PC!

Another one;  On the original Captain Kangaroo, a reoccurring character was the 'Banana Man'. He played the violin in costume and pulled large quantities of watermelons and bananas out of his pockets.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#22 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 09:19 AM

That's it, thanks!  Does anyone remember the old cartoons where the characters would actually be in blackface. Not PC!

The Fleischer Brothers did a bunch of cartoons with Betty Boop that showcased the talents of Cab Calloway and other performers of the thirties. They invented several systems to make the cartoons very accurate. There was a silent series "Farmer Brown" I think that was not PC. Heck even into the 70s there were extremely nonPC cartoons. They have been edited now.

• HDWildBill and LilysDad have said thanks

#23 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 08:35 AM

Never heard of Starblazers, looks interesting.

Its sad that most of the really bad jokes have been removed from the looney tunes.

I remember the bugs bunny cartoon where the witch turns into a beautiful rabbit, and he says something like "Aren't they all witches on the inside"  Something like that.  And I seen that cartoon a few years later and it was edited out.

It is terrible that no one can take a joke today.

I had to look it up, was bothering me

This cartoon caused some controversy due to Bugs' end line about the Witch Hazel being turned into a rabbit being perceived as misogynistic [1]. And Bugs' closing line, "Ah sure, I know. But aren't they all witches inside?" was edited out of commercial broadcasts in the 1980s, and was replaced in later versions with "Sure uh, I know. But after all, who wants to be alone on Halloween

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 04, 2013 - 08:37 AM.

• boyscout862 and pigsitter have said thanks

#24 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:43 AM

PC = Brain dead. 50 years ago where I grew up they were polack jokes. My wife heard the same ones in LA but they were Texas Aggie jokes. A friend from Wisconsin heard the same jokes as Swedish jokes. I'm half Swede and and still thought they were funny. No matter what minority, there are some people that fit the jokes. The worst PC ideas are the ones that our solders have to adhere to that cause greater danger for themselves. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 04, 2013 - 09:43 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#25 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:35 AM

Doesn't seem to be on there anymore. :(
Looks like some of them are on youtube tho

Anyone remember Astro Boy?

You have to get it as a DVD

• MH81 said thank you

#26 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:57 PM

I must also add that mel blanc was an amazing individual with the number of voices he could do!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Blanc

• KennyP and UncleWillie have said thanks

#27 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 01:15 PM

I must also add that mel blanc was an amazing individual with the number of voices he could do!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Blanc

the man of a million voices.

• KennyP said thank you