My New Cub 100!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 rpage83 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5443
  • 11 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 01:08 PM

great score.  I restored a 100 two years ago, sure do miss that little yellow powerhouse.  Keep us posted on your progress

#17 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 08:26 PM

It had blowby out the side if the head, so took head off. Not good. Head bolt sheared off in top end, and head gasket shot. It also needs voltage regulator. Will post pictures soon.

#18 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,111 Thanks
  • 1,172 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 10:02 PM

So, when You took the head off, did You measure the bore and stroke? Is it a 12 horse or a 10 horse?
The reason I ask is my 147 had a engine with a 12 tag on it. But it is a 14 horse.
Seems to be pretty common on Cubs?

#19 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 08:41 AM

I ended up selling it to a guy that restores these things. I may buy it back when he is done. He allreadh has the steering rebuilt and it is as tight as it can be! he has the deck working and the engine rebuilt. It is really turning out good. Im glad i met him cause he will help me rebuild my kohler on my WH for free!

PS. i changed my name... :dancingbanana:

• Rock farmer said thank you

#20 johncub7172 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 35779
  • 12 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 04:03 PM

Well, perhaps you may decide on another IH Cub Cadet at a later time. I like the Wheel Horse too, and frequent Red Square.com to marvel at some of the restoration projects going on there. But any ways, I wanted to discuss what differences that at least told me the engine could have been a Kohler K301. Many Kohler Iron Line K241's derived from the Kohler K301 block. I happen to have a model 100, which has a K301 stamped block number located behind the starter basket pulley. All I know is that, there was a K241 block, and a K301 block used in the model 100.

The picture where you see the starter generator, I notice the square shield covering the cooling fins, common on actual 12 horse models, as far as I' aware of. On my K241 { bossed K301 } that shield is curved, and resembles the one similar found on the K161. Any one else ever notice that? Also, the stud that sticks up above the head shield,...perhaps to mount the support bracket for the 12hp muffler. I don't recall this stud on my model 100. The gas tank could have been switched to the smaller capacity of the 10hp due to hood brace locations. In 1966, IH Cub Cadet introduced the new "swept-back" design hoods, and larger fuel cells as well. There were many variations of the Delco Remy starter generators as well, this one looks a little different from what I have too. My 100 model serial number was 117xxx .
  • Rock farmer and CubHorse80 have said thanks