20 replies to this topic

#1 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 11:27 AM

I need some help picking a good all round tractor. :tapping_fingers:

I sold my fleet, cause i no longer have storage.. (greenhouse sold :boo_hoo: )

Being the nut that i am about having a tractor at all times, i need to have something. There is a bit of a list of criteria that it must meet in order for me to get it...

- Must be older (NO MTD)

- must be somewhat small

- Must be manual shift (No hydro)

- Must be somewhat powerful

- must cut grass decently

- easily serviced and easy to get parts

- must be somewhat cheap to buy used (>400)

I really don't know where to start.. I really like cubs, but they are expensive... I am not meaning to start a war on whats the better brand, but whats a good make and model to get thats easy to get?

wheel horse?

cub?

bolens? 

I REALLY DONT KNOW!

Edited by RallyRoperGT18, November 01, 2013 - 12:00 PM.

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 11:38 AM

The three you list are all good choices. If it were me and putting favorites aside to answer your question, I would choose one of the older (before Toro) Wheel Horse tractors. They are good machines, very easy to maintain, and parts are readily available. This is based on your choice being a manual transmission.

Good luck and enjoy your search. It's half the fun!  :D

• LilysDad, JRJ and CubHorse80 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 11:40 AM

What you need to look for is an opportunity not a specific tractor. Check CL, Epay, Freecycle(my favorite tractor source), and your local supper market bulletin boards. The later is used mostly by older people so it has good potential. Keep looking for a good deal on any tractor that will work for you. You may be pleasantly surprised by an odd brand that you never would have thought of. A year ago I picked up a MagnaTrak GT. I still haven't gotten it running but I've learned a lot about an interesting tractor story. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 01, 2013 - 11:41 AM.

• JRJ and CubHorse80 have said thanks

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 11:46 AM

Seems to me an older Sears tractor would fit your requirements well. 

• Gtractor, JRJ and CubHorse80 have said thanks

#5 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 11:47 AM

Thanks guys!

There are 2 i am thinking about right now... a friend of mines dad has a cub 100 with fenders and its in really good shape. it runs but needs a good $100 in parts to make it good. He also has a wheel horse C-120 that has a better 14hp kohler. It was his moms so he is technically the first owner... It comes with a snow blade, wheel weights, chains, and a mowing deck.

• Cvans, boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#6 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Seems to me an older Sears tractor would fit your requirements well. 

Ive had a seart GT18 at one point, and it was nice... Idk if i want to do sears again, unless its a ss16 beast. But, i need a smaller one.

• JRJ said thank you

#7 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 12:44 PM

I would say any of the three listed would work.

You may want to go with whichever brand(s) is common in your area.  Around here, it seems like Bolens are pretty common. 

That's one reason for me picking up the tubeframes that I have.

Bob

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 06:52 PM

What about a geared version of the MF10/12. A JD 200 series is also gear driven. 

#9 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 06:58 PM

You may find a John Deere 212 for $400. Great GT for the price. Kohler 12 that you can rebuild over and over.

#10 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 09:12 AM

just curious, why wouldnt you want an old MTD ? the 990(although hydro)is a brute. the 960's are gear drive.

• JRJ said thank you

#11 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 11:43 AM

Yeah, but its a matter of finding one. I need something simple, and easy/cheap to repair if needed... thats why i was looking at a WH C-120 with a 14hp in her. i think the mtds would be harder to fix...

• JRJ said thank you

#12 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 01:45 PM

The Horse is a great option...lots of those around.  I like the suggestion above about looking for the opportunities and then picking any brand from them.  I'd consider attachments you will want (do you want anything besides just the deck?) as some brands are plentiful, regionally, while others may not be.  For example, if I were in your shoes, I'd pick up a '70's Sears, WH, Simplicity or Allis gear drive with deck, and then could have a remote angle dozer for snow, probably within a couple days, for $100 or less.  If I wanted to till in the spring, I'd choose from one of many listings for a tiller, and grab one for $150 or less.  At those prices, when I decided to quit tripping over them, I could easily get that money back.

Here, you pay more for green...that's just the way it is.  Wheel Horse, Sears, and Simplicity seem to be the best bargains.  Bolens, MTD's and MF's are a bit harder to find, but still reasonble.  I just don't see the attachment availability with them as I do the others.  $400 can be a BIG budget for a gear drive GT with an attachment or three.  I can count on one hand the # of GT's I've had that cost more than $400, and count on 8 hands, the # of GT's that were within that budget. (of course, all were Simplicity/AC built)   =]

• CubHorse80 said thank you

#13 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 02:33 PM

The Horse is a great option...lots of those around.  I like the suggestion above about looking for the opportunities and then picking any brand from them.  I'd consider attachments you will want (do you want anything besides just the deck?) as some brands are plentiful, regionally, while others may not be.  For example, if I were in your shoes, I'd pick up a '70's Sears, WH, Simplicity or Allis gear drive with deck, and then could have a remote angle dozer for snow, probably within a couple days, for $100 or less.  If I wanted to till in the spring, I'd choose from one of many listings for a tiller, and grab one for $150 or less.  At those prices, when I decided to quit tripping over them, I could easily get that money back.

Here, you pay more for green...that's just the way it is.  Wheel Horse, Sears, and Simplicity seem to be the best bargains.  Bolens, MTD's and MF's are a bit harder to find, but still reasonble.  I just don't see the attachment availability with them as I do the others.  $400 can be a BIG budget for a gear drive GT with an attachment or three.  I can count on one hand the # of GT's I've had that cost more than $400, and count on 8 hands, the # of GT's that were within that budget. (of course, all were Simplicity/AC built)   =]

Actually, the guy i am working on an allis, cub and 2 simplicitys offered one of the landlords as a payment... Its really cool cause it still has the original paint and decals. Its not in bad shape at all! idk how much he is gonna want to knock off what he owes me for it but im gonna try. I do like simplicity though, they are tough and they look pretty cool.

i am looking to have a deck, and a snowplow. As well as weights and chains. I have no use for anything else. I did pick up a cub 100 recently, but i would rather have a simplicity because they cut beautifully!

#14 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 03:58 PM

i would rather have a simplicity because they cut beautifully!

Glad you said it, because I was holding back due to significant bias.  =] 

• CubHorse80 said thank you

#15 bigplow OFFLINE  

bigplow
  • Member No: 47719
  • 2 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:36 PM

if it was me I would pick up that wheelhorse it has everything you need and parts are readily availble and they are super simple machines with one of the best rear ends out there the snowplows are good to .The simplicity is a good machines but I think the wheelhorse is just alittle easier to work on