A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:01 PM

YES,

Last winter I had my Case 448 out for the first time. The chains were not on yet and I went nowhere. Even with the Case's big wheels it just spun.

• alley oop said thank you

#18 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Yup.  When mom and dad bought their 318 new in 87 they bought chains with it and a 54" full hydraulic blade like yours.  Their setup is the same except they have never run wheel weights on it.  I reccomend getting yourself a good set of 2 link spacing chains and not the regular over the shelf 4 link.  They WILL fall into the tire lugs and be next to useless whereas 2 link will stay on top of the bar better and bite.  Amazing amount of snow can be pushed with that setup.

Edited by IHCubGuy, November 01, 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#19 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 11:38 PM

Yes Chains are a Must.Especially if you intend to run those AGs.If you have an old set of Turfs and chains to throw on you will be better off.AGs wear out Very fast if you are spinning on Ice or slick road surfaces.

I run a spare set of old worn out Turf tires with Tubes in them loaded with washer fluid and chains.Running low pressure around 8-12psi seems to be the best.I put my chains on as tight as I can get them with the tires Flat and air them up to the desired pressure.It tightens the chains up really nice.

Edited by EricFromPa, November 01, 2013 - 11:40 PM.

• sacsr and alley oop have said thanks

#20 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 05:37 AM

Last year I plowed for the 1st time with my 214, running ags with 50lb wheel weights,it was a deep snow and as others have said going down the drive was not an issue getting back up was a different story soft fresh snow was not an issue but hardpacked snow on the other hand was a different story.After reading this thread I may set up an extra set of turfs with chains and liquid filled in addition to my wheel weights and see how that works. Sad thing is I already know if I put a lot of time and effort into getting prepared it will never snow! :smilewink:

• boyscout862 and alley oop have said thanks

#21 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 3,957 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 05:55 AM

. Sad thing is I already know if I put a lot of time and effort into getting prepared it will never snow! :smilewink:

I know how that is, since I got mine set up we haven't gotten more than 3-4 inches at a time. Might have to do all the neighbors this year just to get a bit of seat time.

• pigsitter and alley oop have said thanks

#22 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 07:26 AM

Chains are a must to push snow with a GT!! The idea of no chains is good for the concrete though. Just my 2 cents.

I am going to play with the idea of no chains with turf tires this year. I am going to have about 700 extra lbs on the wheels to see if it will

push, but any ice and it will not matter.  Luckily my concrete is kinda rough already. 

Geno

#23 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 09:01 AM

Might have to do all the neighbors this year just to get a bit of seat time.

I was doing that last year, happy neighbors plus happy walkinman :D
  • shorty said thank you

#24 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 09:03 AM

I get away with no chains when using the snowblower, my neighbor appreciates that as he has a brand new blacktop driveway. Haven't plowed in years since using my dad's wheel horse as a kid but even with chains and weights I struggled for traction at times so I think they're a must if using a blade.

#25 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,546 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Sad thing is I already know if I put a lot of time and effort into getting prepared it will never snow! :smilewink:

It is better to have and not need than to need and not have. If being prepared prevents snow, I'd prefer that any day. Good Luck, Rick

• pigsitter said thank you

#26 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Looks like I will be against the general consensus, I run loaded ags, wheel weights and NO chains. We get 3-4 decent snow storms a winter with 4-8" snow per storm, sometimes a little more. I guess in Cincy, we stay warm enough nowadays, the ice is less so I do okay without chains. I plow concrete, black top and gravel drives. If you do get much ice under your snow, then you will need chains, 2 link on ags.

I do have a Craftsman LT with a blower, no weights at all, I do run chains on the turfs with it.

#27 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 08:28 PM

I have a Kubota L2000 with loader, I had some trouble with ags, I then switched over to the turf tires with chains and I never once got stuck! Since the kubota runs a 24" rim, the tires are pretty tall, I used two pickup tire chains per wheel and they worked great!

Good luck!

#28 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 07:44 AM

Well nobody NEEDS chains.  You can always use a rope to pull your tractor out with instead.   :rolling:

I use ags with no chains.  We tend to have light, powdery snow.  If I lived anywhere with wet, heavy snow, I'd have chains.  If you're using them on ags, you need to ensure the chains sit on top of the treads.

You can also take a bunch of short sheet metal screws and drive them into the treads, or get proper studs.  Those aren't as good as chains (unless you're ice racing), and a real pain when spring comes around and you want them out, but better than nothing.

#29 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 09:07 AM

chains are a must.

had chains on the Simplicity and none on the Deutz a couple winters ago.  the Deutz didnt have a chance.

even the 990 couldnt keep up until i added chains. now, moving 500lbs. of snow isnt an issue.

all machines have turf tires and were used on both gravel and concrete.

#30 Enginerod ONLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 07:52 PM

I live just outside of Buffalo NY and getting 2-3 feet of snow over night is not uncommon. For the past few years I have been using loaded Tru-Powers and wheel weights and have no problem with traction, where as with loaded turfs, chains and weights I do run into traction problems on my sealed blacktop driveway. And believe me the tires only have to make a slight rotation to mark the driveway. If you look in my gallery you'll see a pic of my Kubota G5200 during a winter storm in 2010 at my parents house, this tractor is pushing a 48" single stage and went through a snowbank at the street that was pushed there by the street plows that was higher than the roofs of the cars on the street! I hope this helps with your decision and not makes it more confusing. LOL.          Bill.