Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Do any of you have any experience with Vacu-Stack Chimney caps?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 12:52 PM

This weekend, we had some atrocious north winds (30-40 mph) that made me very aware that I need some kind of wind-resistant cap for the wood stove chimney. When the wind would gust high enough, I'd get some blow-back of smoke through the stove. It was pretty amazing: through the glass front of the stove, you'd see a nice fire going, then WHOOOSH! The wind would gust and put the flames out completely! After the gust, flames would reignite. Luckily, it only happened during the highest gusts of wind. So, now I'm looking at a Vacu-Stack cap.

Vacu-Stack Wind Resistant Chimney Cap | WoodlandDirect.com: Chimney Caps

Does anyone have any experience with these, or other wind-resistant caps??

#2 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 02:18 PM

I had some good news today! The owner of the fireplace/stove shop came by this morning to look at the chimney they installed for me when I bought their stove. He took one look at it and said that it needed a couple more sections of pipe to make it top out just above the peek of the house. He provided the pipe and the service for FREE! I didn't see the brand of pipe he used, but looking online, the cheapest I see is $40/section, give or take a few dollars. We'll see if the taller chimney helps the downdraft problem I was seeing. Even though the original chimney height was "ok" according to their rule of thumb (it was far enough away from the peek that it "might" not cause a problem), the new taller one should work better. Let's hope so!
:beerchug: :rocker2: :dancingbanana: :yelclap:

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 04:21 PM

That's some great news! It's nice when a company stands by their work like that. Maybe you could have him call the Rev's foundation monkeys and give them a lesson or two!

#4 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 04:32 PM

That's some great news! It's nice when a company stands by their work like that. Maybe you could have him call the Rev's foundation monkeys and give them a lesson or two!

Yes, I've been pleased with this place. I try to guide people to their shop if I hear that they need something they can provide. I remember the guy who installed my stove: He's from WAYYYYY northern Minnesota. He moved here for the work, but he said he really misses the Minnesota winters. I told him that I think the cold affected his brain!

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 05:02 PM

nra....that's one GREAT businessman! Glad he's a stand-up guy!

#6 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1368
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 05:29 PM

Thats great nra i had the same problem when i built my chimney but i didnt get the same service as you lol! After i went back & extended mine another 4 ft. the problem was solved ! I do miss the occational woosh of sparks & smoke from the stack lol! looked like a giant tater gun !

#7 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 15, 2010 - 11:36 PM

Thats great nra i had the same problem when i built my chimney but i didnt get the same service as you lol! After i went back & extended mine another 4 ft. the problem was solved ! I do miss the occational woosh of sparks & smoke from the stack lol! looked like a giant tater gun !

If it was just me, it wouldn't be such a big deal (the smoke), but my better half gets excited, and the smoke bothers her mother when she visits. Hmmmmmm...... maybe I'll shorten the chimney when she's here!!! LOL...... Just kidding... I have a GREAT MIL!!! Must be where my other half gets it!

#8 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1368
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 01:43 PM

oh my! :bigrofl:

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 05:56 AM

That's some good news.

#10 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 09:15 PM

Glad to hear your problem has been solved. Nice to know there are still honest and dependable businesses out there. I had always heard that the pipe should extend higher than the closest peak. As far as the MIL you could do what some of the big ships have installed. Stacks that raise and lower so they can pass under bridges. Glad you have a nice MIL.

#11 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 12:53 AM

Glad you have a nice MIL.

Thanks... she's a real peach!