• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joel christensen OFFLINE  

joel christensen

• Member No: 5954
  • 37 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 01:29 PM

I restored a 125 last year and I've been wondering, has anyone ever put rubber washers of grommets under the engine to lessen the vibration.  It's not bad until I get to high throttle, it would be nice to get rid of that high frequency chatter.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 02:15 PM

You open a can of worms with this inquiry. I have a couple of CC 129's with the solid mounts and don't notice any unusual vibrations. I've had a couple of the later 1450's with rubber mounts and didn't like them at all. I even replace the mounts with new ones and the engines still shook and vibrated. The 1250's might be different though. If you decide to install the rubber mounts you should check the alignment of your drive shaft. 

One thing you might check is the condition of your rag couplers on your drive shaft. If they get bad you can get a lot of vibrations. 

Good luck.

• boyscout862, superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 joel christensen OFFLINE  

joel christensen

• 37 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 10:19 PM

I'm not sure what is unusual or not, this is my irst Cub. When I rebuilt the engine I had Kirk Engines grind the camshaft, but didn't spring for the crankshaft balancing. I also shaved the head .030" to raise the compression and she really pops now, but I think I may have sacrificed some smoothness. But, like I said not sure cuz I have nothing to base that on.

My other tractors that I use on a regular basis are a JD 216 and a JD 317 with a repower Vanguard that is having it's own issues, but thats another story. Both of of those are smooth at high speed. I also have a Cub 72 mosquito killer with clutch issues that is next in line for a rebuild, but I really can't use that for a comparison either.

I'm probably being too fussy or a perfectionista (my word) but a guy has to have some control in his life.

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Yes, not having anything to compare it to can make knowing whats normal hard. I've got one that no matter how I set the timing it wants to pre-ignition (ping) when running. I did replace the head with one off of another tractor when I got it. Think milling the head to lower compression is going to be the only answer. Wish I had compared the heads so now I'm in the same boat as you. Not sure what is right.  :mad2:

#5 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:24 PM

I think that putting rubber between the oil pan and tractor frame would make it hard to keep the bolt tight properly.  Tigthen them down to where they should be would likely just crush the rubber and do no good.  Leave them loose enough where they may or may not help and I think it will end up wallowing out the holes in the oil pan.  Can't get anything to thick in it or it will put the driveshaft out of alignment with the tranny.

Edited by IHCubGuy, November 01, 2013 - 10:26 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#6 joel christensen OFFLINE  

joel christensen

• 37 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 02:59 PM

Cub Guy,

That thought crossed my mind too.  If I do it I will probably put a 1/4" rubber washer between the engine and the frame and then one on the bottom under the frame so it is like a sandwich.  I could use locktight on the bolts. .

#7 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 06:53 AM

Imo I don't think it will work well unless you use a really hard rubber, like a hockey puck...or repurpose motor mounts from some other application

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 125, cub cadet, engine mounts