• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kiddpitt OFFLINE  

kiddpitt

• Member No: 3444
  • 27 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 08:23 AM

I have a pretty big veggie garden that is pretty productive, but this year the weeds took some of the fun out of it for me.  I was committed to trying a cover crop, but I only have a tiller attchment & not any type of plow, which I anticipate I'll need with something like winter rye.

There was a sleeve hitch for the LGTs, but they seem rare and expensive.  Also, I don't weld & don't think I can afford to have someone fab something up either. 

But, the LGT sleeve hitches were a simple design.  The solution I'm kicking around is a wooden sleeve hitch with something like a middle buster, or a couple small chisel sweeps bolted directly onto the sleeve hitch.  Some 2x4, plywood for support against twisting, and axle bolts should get me going with the lift bar for my tiller doing the lifting.

If I do it right, it should also be able to hold some weight for if/when we get snow.

My concerns are:

1.  Wood is a stupid idea.

2.  10 hp is not enough to plow.

I'm open to ideas and comments....

Edited by kiddpitt, October 31, 2013 - 08:27 AM.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 08:51 AM

I don't think wood would hold up very well. 10HP is enough to plow with the right set up. Where are you located? Have you checked with the sight sponsors for a sleeve hitch for your tractor? They aren't too hard to make one and would be a good investment. If I had the materials, I could make one pretty quick!

• kiddpitt said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 10:42 AM

I put in rye as a winter cover crop too . But I'll be cutting it down in spring with a sickle bar then either plow then till or just till not sure yet .  I wonder if you could mow it down in spring , starting with the deck raised  and then just using your tiller ?

• kiddpitt said thank you

#4 kiddpitt OFFLINE  

kiddpitt

• Member No: 3444
  • 27 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 10:52 AM

I'm in SE PA, Pottstown to be exact.  To be honest, I didn't know the site had sponser.  I don't recall ever seeing any ads.

I put in rye as a winter cover crop too . But I'll be cutting it down in spring with a sickle bar then either plow then till or just till not sure yet .  I wonder if you could mow it down in spring , starting with the deck raised  and then just using your tiller ?

From what I've read (and I read alot), mowing it down at the right time will kill it, but the roots can get deep and only using a tiller can be difficult.  I have no experience with this myself, just sharing what I've read of others' experiences.

Ideally, it seems as though mowing it, then plowing it, then tilling it is the way to go.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Here's some of the things I've tried , some worked,, some not too good lol

http://gardentractor...sses-for-mulch/

http://gardentractor...for-the-garden/

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 01:00 PM

If you were closer, I'd build you a sleeve hitch. Materials would be all I'd need $ for.

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 03:07 PM

What gt do you have? If someone has a sleeve hitch to pull dimensions from, someone can weld one up. I made my first one and Im barely a novice welder. It has held up great. I can put humility aside and weld you one up with the right info...it wont be a beauty queen but it will outlast the 2x4's. If nothing else it would be great practice!
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hp isn't really to much of a worry. With the right set up. You can plow with 2 or 3 hp with a walk behind. Its all if the plow is set right. And what soil type. And what kind of a plow you have, etc.

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 04:19 PM

Plowing under rye is going to be tough , mow it soon as you can in the spring so the roots don't go too deep or you are going to have a heck of a time plowing or tilling!!

Edited by skyrydr2, November 01, 2013 - 02:58 AM.

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,558 Thanks
  • 3,937 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 05:39 PM

I had taken a drawing of a sleeve hitch to one of the local fab shops. This guy quoted me $65 to build it. Now that didn't include any lift linkage. 

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 06:59 PM

I had a drawing I uploaded some time back. Finally found it. I did modify it by moving the tube closer to the hitch.

SleeveHitchMod2 (Small).jpg

Here's the lift bar.

LGT Lift Bar.jpg

• sacsr and Bschwen have said thanks

#12 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 07:12 PM

My concerns are:
1. Wood is a stupid idea.
2. 10 hp is not enough to plow.

1. Your right!
2. Your wrong!

These GT sleeve hitches usually cost about $100 give or take. Ford/Jacobsen are rare. You could make one. Or, you can adapt something from another brand. I have a MTD hitch on my closed side LGT 165. Works ok. And I have a Craftsman on my LGT 125 open side. I still need to make lever and link to get it to work. But, you don't need to be a welder to find a solution!
I just saw a MTD hitch sell for $30 on Ebay.

Joe
Sears Craftsman;
image.jpg
MTD;
image.jpg
  • sacsr said thank you