• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 04:02 AM

Bringing this oldie back. I got very sick just before I was about to buy the new cylinder. Ended-up replacing the oring as I always have and now she is leaking again. Instead of buying a new cylinder, I am going to try Viton quad rings - have 3 on order. Viton is better than Buna for compression set which I believe is my biggest problem. Will keep you posted on the results.

Edited by artbuc, December 02, 2015 - 04:04 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 06:33 AM

Good luck !   If those quad rings still don't hold up I came across this site while looking for p/s seals for my Ford 3400   Maybe they could give you some suggestions  

https://www.herculesus.com/

• artbuc said thank you

#18 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 03:48 AM

Viton quad ring installed. Since Orings typically go 1-2 years before leaking, I hope you won't see another post from me on this thread for at least 3 years!

Edited by artbuc, December 05, 2015 - 03:49 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#19 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 10:43 AM

I have a GT19, had it about a year. Not the PS cylinder but the lift cylinder, I got in pieces with it, all apart in a coffee can/

the PO had done the "have a machine shop make a replacement shaft out of chrome rod" thing.. it was laying in the coffee can with the rest of the pieces. I ordered a used replacement from Feebay, it came with a horribly pitted rod.  I wonder if the lift cyl would be available for that ~$100 price (there abouts)  I'm guessing that having that shaft made would have been close to that figure by itself unless you "know someone".     

I ordered a seal kit and thankfully all the parts to the original one were still with it, I assembled it with a new OEM Ariens seal kit and so far so good..... I used it last winter with a snow blade and a few times as a "trailer tug" in the spring, then it went to my friend's barn to be stored while I look for other parts for it.... if it sprung a leak in the barn over the last 6 months or so, is unknown at this point.

#20 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 12:33 PM

I have a GT19, had it about a year. Not the PS cylinder but the lift cylinder, I got in pieces with it, all apart in a coffee can/
the PO had done the "have a machine shop make a replacement shaft out of chrome rod" thing.. it was laying in the coffee can with the rest of the pieces. I ordered a used replacement from Feebay, it came with a horribly pitted rod.  I wonder if the lift cyl would be available for that ~$100 price (there abouts)  I'm guessing that having that shaft made would have been close to that figure by itself unless you "know someone".     
I ordered a seal kit and thankfully all the parts to the original one were still with it, I assembled it with a new OEM Ariens seal kit and so far so good..... I used it last winter with a snow blade and a few times as a "trailer tug" in the spring, then it went to my friend's barn to be stored while I look for other parts for it.... if it sprung a leak in the barn over the last 6 months or so, is unknown at this point.

You do not need an OEM Ariens seal kit. All of the Orings are standard size. I have the sizes if you need them. My local hydraulic shop gives them to me for free or you can get them online but the S&H will be $6-8 for a couple bucks worth of Orings.

Check-out the stock cylinders from Bailey Hydraulics.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#21 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 02:51 PM

Thanks. I think I paid about $6-8 for the Ariens seal kit then found the same thing among the pile of parts that came with the machine. Go figure

#22 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted November 22, 2016 - 04:31 AM

Viton quad ring installed. Since Orings typically go 1-2 years before leaking, I hope you won't see another post from me on this thread for at least 3 years!

Quick update. Quad ring installed for almost one year now. Working perfectly without the slightest hint of a leak. By now, Oring would probably be slowly leaking and I would be driving with a rag tied around the cylinder. Winter driving is the most challenging so I will give another report in the spring. Can not believe I have been messing with this leaky oring since I bought her new in 1991. Of course, not sure if quad rings were even around back then. So glad I did not replace the hydraulic cylinder last year.

It is interesting to note my brand new tractor was delivered with a knicked hydraulic cylinder rod. I bought it from a Gravely dealer who knew nothing about this new fangled hydro drive tractor as Ariens had just bought Gravely. After several years of screwing with this problem, I took her to my local Ariens dealer. He discovered the knick and said it was a shame because Ariens would have replaced the entire cylinder under warranty. He smoothed the knick as much as possible and away I went. I suspect this defect probably caused or at least contributed to the short life of my rod Oring. Apparently, the design of the quad ring allows it to seal even when rod has surface defects.

Edited by artbuc, November 22, 2016 - 04:32 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#23 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted November 22, 2016 - 06:25 AM

Glad your repair is holding up :thumbs: